Sponsored

Removing the JL back seat: how easy or hard to remove?

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
No audio expert here, and I don't know what the cut-offs are on the Alpine sound system. But from around 200 hertz and below, where subwoofers work, it may not make a lot of difference to be covered by this mat(?).
As far as the bass goes it won't make a difference. My concern with something like a weather tech mat would be the introduction of buzziness from the sub moving/vibrating the mat against the speaker grill. The sub moves and self cleans quite well, I suspect it's pushing a lot of air that would go straight against the mat. Cutting out the opening of the mat and putting something like a moving blanket between the mat and the floor may give you protection from debris entering the sub but not block that air movement.

My sub having a bath after a rainstorm.
Sponsored

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door
As far as the bass goes it won't make a difference. My concern with something like a weather tech mat would be the introduction of buzziness from the sub moving/vibrating the mat against the speaker grill. The sub moves and self cleans quite well, I suspect it's pushing a lot of air that would go straight against the mat. Cutting out the opening of the mat and putting something like a moving blanket between the mat and the floor may give you protection from debris entering the sub but not block that air movement.

My sub having a bath after a rainstorm.
The weathertech has a cutout for the sub

20220216_113803.jpg

Charmagne

First Name
Charmagne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
80th AE JL
Thinking of getting this bag. Which size did you get? 60x28x22?
Just checked my order to be sure - and yes that is the size - I had tons of extra room and wondered if I could go down in size but I think it's better to have the extra space than risk not enough. There is no pulling on the fabric and since the fabric is so pliable, the excess is easily tucked in or folded over. Another responder mentioned that they bear hug the seat to lift - I did as well, not sure the bag's handles are meant to take all that weight. But I was able to do it myself and lift it (albeit awkwardly LOL) so I'm sure you won't have a problem!

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
The weathertech has a cutout for the sub
Yes, but what I'm responding to is the discussion about leaving that cutout in place, as in not cutting it out, to offer further protection from debris entering the sub. That may work, but my concern is the sub may cause a noise from the sub vibrating the mat over it.

Merc

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door 6mt Willys; 2013 Subaru Crosstrek
Yes, but what I'm responding to is the discussion about leaving that cutout in place, as in not cutting it out, to offer further protection from debris entering the sub. That may work, but my concern is the sub may cause a noise from the sub vibrating the mat over it.
I have this mat and the sub. I did not cut it out for further protection and can tell you there is no vibrating from the mat being over the sub.

Sponsored

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door
That's why I asked if there was a mat that had the cutout as the Rugged Ridge does not. I'd rather not cover it so I'll pay a little more and get the Weathertech

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I have the subwoofer too. Haven't had a chance to hear how it sounds with the mat on it since I haven't driven it with mat yet.

No audio expert here, and I don't know what the cut-offs are on the Alpine sound system. But from around 200 hertz and below, where subwoofers work, it may not make a lot of difference to be covered by this mat(?).
I have the Alpine sub in the floor. I have the Weather Tech mat with the subwoofer cutout. I cut-out the subwoofer part and placed some black cloth between the subwoofer grill and mat. Keeps debris from falling into the subwoofer and does not change any sound from the stereo.

OP
OP
STW

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 2door 2.0T Rubicon stingrey
I ordered the next smallest bag from this vendor (on Amazon) and now that I've taken the seat out I think the one I ordered (48"x24"x18") will be too small. As I measured it, the folded seat itself is 40"x 22"x13". Once out, you see the long steel rod under carriage pieces with their sharp hooks forms once of the long corners that has to fit in the bag. I won't be surprised at all if the the seat doesn't fit in the 48x24x18 bag because of of the pointy ends. The 60x28x22 one from this vendor seemed like it would be too big and floppy, but it may be the better choice from this vendor, although I would probably look at other vendors. But I'll decided when mine arrives. (Tried to cancel the order but it had already shipped.)

I found the JL read seat easy to take out, but felt heavy and awkward to carry. Weighed, it's only 68-69 lbs. But seemed heavier, so it must be the awkward size that makes it seem a handful. I will check out Overland Productions video (thanks) but I also so a youtube by the Driven Mad guy who posts JLR videos, and it helped to see how easy it came out.
Just a follow up to say the JL back seat, folded, fit into the smaller bag I ordered: 48"x24"x18". Snug fit but no super tight spots, so the result seems like it was made for the JL back seat. The tight spot and tricky spot--for any bag chose, I suppose--is the sharp metal pointy parts of the undercarraige rods. Those pointy parts fit in fine (when I made sure to take the slackout of the bag) but given the chance I think those pointy parts would try to rip through any bag material they were pressed into. I'm storing mine with the pointy parts up so they're not pressed into the bag fabric. Might put some loose duct tape wrap on the points if I store this for years, and it gets moved around the the bag.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PJAJF8E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
My 2door JL Rubicon is on the way, and I'm curious how easy is it to take the back seat out?
Mine is nearly 3 years old and only 6 months ago did I find the best methodology.

Before you take the back seats out, move both front seats forward.
Before you put the back seats in, move both front seats forward.

The front seats get in the way. With the front seats forward the operation is easy.

OC HOG

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Great info here on removing the seat! My new JLU arrives next week and I'm just wondering if anyone here knows if it's just as easy to remove the seat in the 4-door Sport S model? Thanks!

Sponsored

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great info here on removing the seat! My new JLU arrives next week and I'm just wondering if anyone here knows if it's just as easy to remove the seat in the 4-door Sport S model? Thanks!
On the 4 door the back seats do not come out.

moparcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S 80th Anniversary
I have the subwoofer too. Haven't had a chance to hear how it sounds with the mat on it since I haven't driven it with mat yet.

That was my thought. We have the factory carpet (rubber backed) mat over it and its fine.

subs can be covered and still work fine.....think about it,.....lots of sports cars with subs in the trunk....

moparcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S 80th Anniversary
On the 4 door the back seats do not come out.
Really? That sounds like a limitation.... So why is the 4 door called "unlimited"? ;) LOL

Sorry...could not resist....

Do they fold at least?

I had a 4 door for a week rental but cant recall how big the cargo area behind the rear seats is compared to the 2 door...but being able to remove/fold seats is a definate help when the vehicle has to pull double duty of moving "stuff".

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do they fold at least?
Yes the back seats in a 4 door fold almost flat.

In a 4 door, with the back seats up, the cargo area is large. In a 2 door wit the back seats removed the cargo is larger than the 4 door.