Sponsored

Removing the JL back seat: how easy or hard to remove?

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 2door 2.0T Rubicon stingrey
My 2door JL Rubicon is on the way, and I'm curious how easy is it to take the back seat out?
For those of you who have removed a TJ seat is the JL back seat easier or harder to take out? heavier or lighter?
Anybody know offhand how much the JL backseat weighs?
The TJ backseat is a one-man removal for me, and I manage to hang it high on a garage wall but if the JL back seat is heavier I won't be doing that very often.
I like that you don't have to mess with a seat belt anchor in the middle of the tub floor like you do with a TJ back seat.
Had planned to remove the JLR back seat right away (my TJ almost never has the back seat in). But there are situations where people want a ride in a new Jeep so I may wait a bit.
These are the kind of questions that help pass the time after you hear your JLR is "in transit to your dealer"(!).
Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
It’s a little heavier than the TJ back seat, or maybe I’m just older and weaker. Still pretty easy, still a one man job. Not something I would want to do every weekend though. Luckily my back seat has been out since I brought the jeep home.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@STW

To remove the rear seat from a 2 dr. JL, all you do is pull up on a horizontal release lever under the seat that you have folded forward. Pull the lever up and yank the seat back toward you and it releases from the retaining paws.

You carefully slide it back toward you, maneuvering the seat in a fashion where it does not hit the side plastics.

Remember, the seat has lots of metal on the bottom of it and that metal will marr / dig into, any plastic it comes in contact with. When you slide it out of the JL, be sure to place a protective cargo pad or be very careful to lift up on the seat as it will come in contact with the rear bumper and could damage / marr it.

The seat weighs about 65-70# and is a tad awkward. By myself, I can get it out in say 3 mins. but going back in takes say 7 minutes.

Remember, the seat is pricey to repair or replace so be sure you store the removed seat properly. Place in a bag..... careful you do not place where mice, rats and such will get to it.

This bag works great for the 2 dr. JL. Many here on the forum use it:
Expect to see it avail. in the next 3-4 weeks... presently sold out.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L9ULKAI/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jeep Wrangler JL Removing the JL back seat: how easy or hard to remove? 01

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
It’s a little heavier than the TJ back seat, or maybe I’m just older and weaker. Still pretty easy, still a one man job. Not something I would want to do every weekend though. Luckily my back seat has been out since I brought the jeep home.
This. The TJ seat is easier, but the JL seat is easy.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
My 2door JL Rubicon is on the way, and I'm curious how easy is it to take the back seat out?
For those of you who have removed a TJ seat is the JL back seat easier or harder to take out? heavier or lighter?
The TJ backseat is a one-man removal for me, and I manage to hang it high on a garage wall but if the JL back seat is heavier I won't be doing that very often.
I like that you don't have to mess with a seat belt anchor in the middle of the tub floor like you do with a TJ back seat.
Had planned to remove the JLR back seat right away (my TJ almost never has the back seat in). But there are situations where people want a ride in a new Jeep so I may wait a bit.
These are the kind of questions that help pass the time after you hear your JLR is "in transit to your dealer"(!).
It is so easy I take it off sometimes if I am gonna haul something and need the space. get back home and put it back in. it is a 1~3 minute job.

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, it's a bit awkward to move around. I used a strap around it to keep it from opening up, which made it easier to carry up my stairs to where I'm storing it in a closet.

BettyBoop

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR 2dr.
Occupation
Business Owner
Removed rear seat and seat belts at 15miles. Perhaps a 15mins job. I've never put them back in; My little buddy loves all the space back there. Pretty sure it was 70lbs total.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
I take mine in and out all the time. I agree that it's a little trouble carrying around once it's out since it has no grab handle or good way to hold onto it.

Lifting it back up into the Jeep requires a little bit of effort but not impossible. The hardest part for me is aligning the seat clamps back into position on the first attempt, yet not too bad to then wiggle it into proper alignment. It certainly gets easier with practice.

I have to admit that without the seat, there is more than enough room to carry most everything I'd care to haul around. Even with the back seat installed but folded up out of the way, there is still plenty of storage area for everything I care to take with me when off-roading. That is everything except more than one other passenger.

Picking people up from the airport is always fun. With the seat deployed for passengers, getting luggage into whatever storage space is left requires the proper Harry Potter 'Reducto' charm. Two people with luggage is doable. Three is practically impossible.

In summary, I'm no longer intimidated to either remove or install it. But clearly the rear seat falls into the category that it's probably just a 'Jeep Thing'. Many wouldn't understand.

Truthfully, I really don't much mind. If you don't want me to pick you up from the airport in the badest ass vehicle on the planet - call an Uber. Then let's see if that piddly Prius will take you to Moab...

My 2 door 2019 JL Sport S rocks!

Jeep Wrangler JL Removing the JL back seat: how easy or hard to remove? IMG_20210531_104909

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I take mine in and out all the time. I agree that it's a little trouble carrying around once it's out since it has no grab handle or good way to hold onto it.

Lifting it back up into the Jeep requires a little bit of effort but not impossible. The hardest part for me is aligning the seat clamps back into position on the first attempt, yet not too bad to then wiggle it into proper alignment. It certainly gets easier with practice.

I have to admit that without the seat, there is more than enough room to carry most everything I'd care to haul around. Even with the back seat installed but folded up out of the way, there is still plenty of storage area for everything I care to take with me when off-roading. That is everything except more than one other passenger.

Picking people up from the airport is always fun. With the seat deployed for passengers, getting luggage into whatever storage space is left requires the proper Harry Potter 'Reducto' charm. Two people with luggage is doable. Three is practically impossible.

In summary, I'm no longer intimidated to either remove or install it. But clearly the rear seat falls into the category that it's probably just a 'Jeep Thing'. Many wouldn't understand.

Truthfully, I really don't much mind. If you don't want me to pick you up from the airport in the badest ass vehicle on the planet - call an Uber. Then let's see if that piddly Prius will take you to Moab...

My 2 door 2019 JL Sport S rocks!

Jeep Wrangler JL Removing the JL back seat: how easy or hard to remove? IMG_20210531_104909
Nice ride! Tire size and lift?

Sponsored

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Nice ride! Tire size and lift?
Mark,

Standard Mopar 2" Lift (but got a little over 2.5"), Goodyear Duratrac 35x12.5x17 Wrangler All-Terrains with Fuel Ammo Anthracite -12mm offset 17x9" wheels.

Best daily driver I've ever owned. Better yet it gets me around my backyard which most people call the Colorado wilderness.

Jay

Jeep Wrangler JL Removing the JL back seat: how easy or hard to remove? InShot_20200915_223133135

OBD

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jl Wrangler ,2016Soul,Dyna,Sportster,HD
Had mine out within a few minutes of bringing it home.It's a tight fit and somewhat awkward ....but not that big a deal.I doubt I will will be putting the seat back anytime soon.

desmo2

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 TJ '97-'11. '21 billet silver JLR
Getting it out is pretty straightforward. Getting it back in and lined up with the mounts can be tricky, especially when attempting it solo, because of how awkward it is.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
you will not have a problem removing the seat. I took mine out and reinstalled it 3 times already.. Currently out. I also have a 2 door jlr. It's not heavy at all. If I can do it at my age so can you. enjoy your new 2 dr.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I wish we could get a 2 section seat, leave in a small Jump Seat that would fold and tumble, say 60/40.
Might be able to section a YJ/TJ rear seat for this.
Since I have a YJ rear seat, this could be an interesting project
Sponsored