Sponsored

Removing the Front Passenger Seat - Can it be done?

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
I am planning on removing the front passenger seat to make room for where I'd like to place my fridge. I believe there are only 4 bolts holding the seat, I am thinking about the connections to the seat like the airbag and such. I am sure I am not the first person thinking about removing the front passenger seat and so I would love to ehar from anyone who has done it or has knowledge of the steps involved. I am mostly concerned about disconnecting the airbag without causing any damage to anything.

Thanks in advance for any guidance and assistance.

Photo of Rhonda
Jeep Wrangler JL Removing the Front Passenger Seat - Can it be done? Screen Shot 2021-06-18 at 09.43.20
for attention!!
Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Disconnect the battery/batteries, wait a few minutes and disconnect them. Thatā€™s what I did when I disconnected the passenger airbag for dash painting.
Gregj

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I would love to ehar from anyone who has done it or has knowledge of the steps involved. I am mostly concerned about disconnecting the airbag without causing any damage to anything.
Itā€™s 4 T50 bolts to remove either of the front seats. Of course youā€™ll have to disconnect any harnesses underneath, after disconnecting the battery.

The only thing Iā€™m not 100% sure about is if youā€™ll get an airbag light with the seat airbag disconnected. Iā€™ve never started the JL with an airbag disconnected.

sbrimer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023, 392 Rubicon XR
Simple. I have removed the passenger seat a couple of times to install amps. 4 torx bolts, I had a heated seat connector and all should have a small yellow air bag connection plug.

When you unplug the yellow air bag connection plug, you will get a air bag warning light on the dash and a warning to service air bag system. They will clear themselves when they are plugged back in.

OP
OP
Onward4x4

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
Simple. I have removed the passenger seat a couple of times to install amps. 4 torx bolts, I had a heated seat connector and all should have a small yellow air bag connection plug.

When you unplug the yellow air bag connection plug, you will get a air bag warning light on the dash and a warning to service air bag system. They will clear themselves when they are plugged back in.
Thanks. I am not planning on putting the seat back for a while. Do you know if there is any effect on the driver's airbag functions when the passenger airbag is not available?

Sponsored

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
uhm.. I wonder if the Tazer has the ability to disable the passenger airbag seat sensors

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Do you know if there is any effect on the driver's airbag functions when the passenger airbag is not available?
It's highly likely that with an airbag light on, the entire airbag system may not work properly.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

uhm.. I wonder if the Tazer has the ability to disable the passenger airbag seat sensors
No. It is highly illegal to disable any vehicle airbag sensor/system via a programmer.

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
No. It is highly illegal to disable any vehicle airbag sensor/system via a programmer.
Good point... I wonder if the sensor can be removed from the seat and leave it connected so no warning shows on the dashboard..

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Good point... I wonder if the sensor can be removed from the seat and leave it connected so no warning shows on the dashboard..
I don't recommend it, but I've heard of people using resistors on the vehicle side of the connector to "trick" the system into thinking the airbag is still connected.

Again, this is just something I've heard and I claim no/zero responsibility for anything should someone try to do this.

Sponsored

sbrimer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023, 392 Rubicon XR
Thanks. I am not planning on putting the seat back for a while. Do you know if there is any effect on the driver's airbag functions when the passenger airbag is not available?
I doubt, but don't know that a sensor makes the entire system inoperable. Keep in mind that the passenger side airbag deployment and activation is weight dependent. This is for small children. When the connection is unplugged, the system recognizes an incomplete connection and notifies you of the error. You would receive the same error if you somehow cut the wires instead of unplugging it. Say you were aggressively (hahahaha) vacuuming under your seat and cut the wire, then the same warning would appear.

My guess is, and this is only a guess, the rest of the system would work.

Maybe a connection to keep the "connection" active, for lack of better word would work.