Removing painted freedom panels?

dloreski

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 3500 & Honda Civic
I have decided to order painted fenders but am unsure about the top.....
If I order the painted top, will I have any issues with paint chipping from taking the freedom panels on and off?
I don't plan on taking the back off, only the front panels.
- Dave
Sponsored

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
You shouldn't have any paint issues when removing the freedom panels as long as you're careful to not bump them when removing or storing. Use the storage bag or wrap in towels when you lay them down or store them. The OE storage bag is great, IMO, and easy to use.

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I had the same debate when ordering. Really wanted the painted top but was afraid of myself damaging it and my thought was it would be much easier to touch up the black top when I do eventually scratch it. I did get the painted fenders. with the black hardtop I do like the contrast it’s what makes a jeep. separates it from all of their vehicles without removable top.

Billet_JLU

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport s 1999 Cherokee Sport
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
With a high enough lift and big tires nobody will see the roof :like: kidding, but in reality I think you're fine with the painted hard top get the color you want as stated the freedom panel bag keeps them nice.

sportsguy

First Name
duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JLU Rubicon w/a snail
Occupation
Marketing
Get the painted top - be careful. The Jeep comes with the panel storage bag. Use that and it'll help a lot. Still, scratches can happen, so have it in your head that you may eventually need to have some touch-up work done. It's the nature of removable panels - convertible tops come with their own issues to tend to over time. ;)

One promise we can all make to you, I think, is running with the top open refills your soul. :rock::rock:

Sponsored

mreloc

First Name
ME
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Altitude; VWGTI
If I order the painted top, will I have any issues with paint chipping from taking the freedom panels on and off?
- Dave
Exactly why I ordered the sky one touch. I like the look of the painted top, don't plan to go completely naked, and I was worried about the hassle of carefully removing and storing the painted sections.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
BTW, the black hardtops are painted much as the body color tops.

All hardtop are white fiberglass underneath. So you can scratch a black top as you can a body color top.

If you want to minimize the risk of scratches showing later on, get a Bright White or Billet Silver Jeep.

Good luck.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I take the freedom tops off in the Spring and on in the Fall. I got the Bestop Sunrider For Hardtop. Best purchase ever. Flip it open or close at a red light in seconds.
IMG_7749.JPG
Saharas look pretty all white!

TrewJL

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
CEO
I had a white painted on the JKU and went with the stock black on JLU. I wish I had the painted one on the JLU now. Yes both are painted , the black is easier to conceal scratches but with proper care the painted tops are great.

Sponsored

Hava-Jeep

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Huntington Beach, CA / Lake Havasu City, AZ
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon,
Occupation
Retired
I take mine off all the time and store in the bag. No issues. When I take the tops and doors off, I just take my time, being careful not to scratch anything. Usually have it naked in under 45 minutes working alone.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
- Dave
I have a black top and the Sahara's matching fenders. I say go with whatever color hard top you want ($ spent on some other feature notwithstanding) because don't think for a second that I haven't scratched the black top a little bit and had to use the MOPAR matching paint on it to keep it lookin new--because I have.

And that's likely the same scenario you will face, regardless if whether you get a black top, a matching black top (there's a difference between these two black tops,) and a matching color top other than black.

FWIW, as a test, I'm running my Bestop Sunrider through the entire length of the colder months this year, only swapping it out for a Soft Top in late Spring/Summer. So there's that in terms of protecting the Freedom Panels portion of a hard top.

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
A little chip here and there is easily solved with an OEM matching paint touch up pen. Also like a couple others half-jokingly mentioned, the top is so high up you likely won’t see them anyhow. Meanwhile the impact that your top choice has on the overall look of your Jeep is so significant. Definitely agree choose whichever looks best to you.

Fonzilla85

First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Lawman
Same here, I’ve yet to have an issue. Honestly I never even thought about this until I saw this post. ‍♂ Some people just think about the most random things I guess.
Sponsored