Sponsored

Removing Body Bolts for Side Steps: What Worked and What Didn't Work?

If you tried to remove your front body bolts, what's your model year, method(s), and success?

• I have a 2018, I used heat and an impact gun, I successfully removed both bolts.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a 2018, I used heat and an impact gun, I DID NOT successfully remove both bolts.

• I have a 2019, I used an impact gun and NO heat, I DID NOT successfully remove both bolts.

• I have a 2019, I used heat and NO impact gun, I DID NOT successfully remove both bolts.

• I have a 2019, I used NO heat and NO impact gun, I DID NOT successfully remove both bolts.

• Total voters

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
After reading through the warning thread and seeing all of the broken bolts and recommendations on how to avoid it, I figured I'd through together a poll to try and determine what worked and what didn't. I also added the model year to see if we can determine if it seems to be more of a 2018 issue, 2019 issue ,or nondenominational.
Sponsored

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I firmly believe how you leverage your breaker bar when removing these bolts is critical due to the hole being larger than the bolt itself. I tried the impact and while it removed a couple of the bolts, the rest I had to do with the breaker bar. With the breaker bar I used one arm to put pressure against the breaker bar while pulling on the other. When it became difficult, I threaded them all the way back in and then slowly turned back out. When I finally got the bolts out with the breaker bar the threads almost looked damaged. I ran a nut up/down the threads and re-installed the bolts with blue locktite.

Last edited:

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
Used a rework soldering station with a heat gun and put it on the bolt for 2-3 min. Breaker bar to break loose and then impact driver to remove.

RenoMD

First Name
DC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL unlimited Rubicon
There’s only one way to be sure take it to a dealership or shop. Trust me! The stealership charged me a whole $118 to install my Evo rocker bomber steps... totally totally worth it. Don’t be foolish don’t be proud wrench the crap out of everything else just don’t do the body bolts less you want to put up with a headache and forkover more money

Sponsored

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Both my 2018 and 2019 had no issue with body bolts. Just good old fashion muscle

G Man

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport 2 Door
I voted in the 2019- Impact and no heat catagory. But I did spin a middle flag nut. I was able to take a wire thru the channel and get it aligned so I could get the middle bolt in.

Oysters

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Ice Sculptures and Oysters
Used a torch and a breaker bar, made sure to keep socket and exstension directly beneath bolt... took forever... got all 6 bolts out.. took 2 hours to install Ace Rock Sliders. Front two bolts red loctite, both middle and rear had blue loctite 2019 JLU

1573615000984560522276490151461.jpg
Sponsored