Removed Stock Muffler

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
I completely disagree. For $119 you get a pipe that is mandrel bent specifically to fit your Jeep with a nice polished tip welded on - a muffler shop would charge more than that to make. When combined with the K&N CAI, there is improved horsepower and I have noticed no loss of torque. It also creates additional ground clearance and cuts weight getting rid of that bulky stock muffler. Yes, above 3,500 rpms it can get loud but that only happens when you intentionally want it too. How many times are you sustaining that kind of rpm going down the highway? Under 3,500 the note is very mellow and it doesn't drone in the cabin - even with a soft top and I have the 2 door model. All this with less than an hour worth of work...

From my viewpoint, it could very well be said that any money spent in excess of $119 to modify the JL exhaust is a waste money! We can argue over tone all day long - its a matter of preference at the end of the day. From a performance standpoint - I would bet there is not a statistical difference between the performance gains between brands: flowmaster, borla, magnaflow, aFe, etc.
I just put this on an now I hear what gear Iā€™m in. When cruising at normal speed you donā€™t hear anything. No drone.

From a dead stop to cruising speed you no longer need to look at the tach or wonder what gear youā€™re in. You can hear it and it is wonderful.

If youā€™re wanting to spend $400 to $600 for a tuned pipe that runs through baffles to make it sound like a truck then this solution ainā€™t for ya. Oh yeah, not having a suitcase hanging under the tail, which this eliminates, is also a bonus.

Take it for what itā€™s worth from someone with experience vs. those with opinions and no experience. Which this forum seems to collect a lot of; more opinions than experience.
Sponsored

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
I guess I will be the lone voice of dissent here.

I recently installed the flowmaster muffler delete pipe.

I have received multiple compliments.

It is louder but I have had no drone.

1) The pentastar is a dual overhead cam V6.

Sorry guys but it is always going to sound like a ricer.

Doing an "axle back" or "muffler delete" or muffler swap won't change the fact that it's never gonna sound like a hemi.

You can argue volume levels but that's about it.

2) To believe that a muffler delete will cause any noticeable change in torque or mileage is ridiculous.

If you straight piped the entire exhaust than it would make some difference in both.

But as long as you keep the two large cats and the bullet muffler/resonator upstream of the axle you won't have any measureable changes.

My first mpg (hand calculated) was 20.2. That is a mix of rural two lane and interstate driving.

Following two were 20.4 and 19.7.

After delete pipe was installed I got 22.1 and 21.5.

Did the muffler delete give me the increase? No, it's just the motor breaking in.

The guys who claim 15 hp and 2 mpg from a muffler delete are just as bad as the "my jeep lost power" guys.

All the muffler delete does is get rid of that trashy galvanized garbage can hanging off the back, give it a nicer (albeit louder, especially over 3500 rpms) sound, and gives you a more ground clearance should you need it.

All for the princely sum of 119 dollars delivered and 1 hour under the jeep.
I installed mine yesterday. Huge PITA to get the Flowmaster end over the stock pipe. Had to hammer a bunch.

Did yours have any issue?

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Jeep JLR
I installed mine yesterday. Huge PITA to get the Flowmaster end over the stock pipe. Had to hammer a bunch.

Did yours have any issue?
Just put a Flowmaster muffler delete on my JLR; PITA as well. Used an Auto Zone loaner pipe expander to get it over the stock pipe. Had to purchase a standard exhaust clamp; the pipe OD exceeded the supplied exhaust clamp's diameter. An established company like Flowmaster should get it right; Iā€™ve read many people having exactly the same problem.

Your pipe must look pretty beat up after hammering it to get it in place? I put substantial force on the pipe expander to open the ID large enough to slide it over and still had to hammer it to slide it on some more.

The sound is excellent; was worried it would be too loud and attract the flashing lights. If you hammer it near a parked or traveling cop it will definitely attract attention and may get you pulled over. Thereā€™s no drone at highway speeds with an addictive acceleration sound from a standstill.

It would be an excellent product if Flowmaster had did their homework up front.

Last edited:

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Just put a Flowmaster muffler delete on my JLR; PITA as well. Used an Auto Zone loaner pipe expander to get it over the stock pipe. Had to purchase a standard exhaust clamp; the pipe OD exceeded the supplied exhaust clamp's diameter. An established company like Flowmaster should get it right; Iā€™ve read many people having exactly the same problem.

Your pipe must look pretty beat up after hammering it to get it in place? I put substantial force on the pipe expander to open the ID large enough to slide it over and still had to hammer it to slide it on some more.

The sound is excellent; was worried it would be too loud and attract the flashing lights. If you hammer it near a parked or traveling cop it will definitely attract attention and may get you pulled over. Thereā€™s no drone at highway speeds with an addictive acceleration sound from a standstill.

It would be an excellent product if Flowmaster had did their homework up front.
I used a pipe that must have been a softer metal because it ripped tears in the pipe I used but hardly dinged up the exhaust. I slide the pipe inside the tip where itā€™s welded to the rest of the exhaust pipe so you canā€™t see where the hammering was done.

Yeah Iā€™m going to call them and explain the difficulties. Not even remotely close to fitting properly.

I also love the sound!

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Jeep JLR
I used a pipe that must have been a softer metal because it ripped tears in the pipe I used but hardly dinged up the exhaust. I slide the pipe inside the tip where itā€™s welded to the rest of the exhaust pipe so you canā€™t see where the hammering was done.

Yeah Iā€™m going to call them and explain the difficulties. Not even remotely close to fitting properly.

I also love the sound!
Very resourceful. I was worried the pipe would be too close to the tow hitch wiring harness and potentially melt it; not a problem.

Somebody else said for the low price of $119.00 this is what you get; a bad fit. Thatā€™s just BS; Flowmaster severely dropped the ball on an otherwise excellent product.

Sponsored

wrangster

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the JLUS, New Ford Ranger 4X4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
just installed the flowmaster axleback exhaust force 2 on my new 2018 JLUS and I had an issue. It just did not sit evenly, off about 3/8" to the passenger side. Loosening the clamp and trying to twist just did not work. Wound up taking it to a local muffler shop and they confirmed the brackets were slightly out of place for proper fit. They had a fix for me which was heat the long side and bend a tad, worked great. Now that I am out an extra $50.00 I am happy with the sound and look appeal of it. I took advantage of the sale from flow master and they even sent me a hooded sweatshirt along with it. I hope they do a better job in the future with there products but will not give up on them for such a minor mfg. issue.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Very resourceful. I was worried the pipe would be too close to the tow hitch wiring harness and potentially melt it; not a problem.

Somebody else said for the low price of $119.00 this is what you get; a bad fit. Thatā€™s just BS; Flowmaster severely dropped the ball on an otherwise excellent product.
I put a Magnaflow axle back muffler on my JK and the pipe had to be expanded to fit plus the pin on the exhaust pipe wouldn't align properly with the slot on the Magnaflow pipe so it made one tip stick out a little further. Mechanic ground off the pin put the Magnaflow pipe was still too tight. Lot of people said they had same problem. So it seems most of the aftermarket mfg. have a problem with fit.

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Jeep JLR
I put a Magnaflow axle back muffler on my JK and the pipe had to be expanded to fit plus the pin on the exhaust pipe wouldn't align properly with the slot on the Magnaflow pipe so it made one tip stick out a little further. Mechanic ground off the pin put the Magnaflow pipe was still too tight. Lot of people said they had same problem. So it seems most of the aftermarket mfg. have a problem with fit.
Itā€™s called shear laziness. All the aftermarket exhaust manufacturers have to get on their lazy ass, slide under the rear end with a pair of calipers and measure the diameter of the stock pipe. Itā€™s so simple a 12 year old girl could do it. If you donā€™t know what to do with this measurement, you shouldnā€™t be in the exhaust manufacturing business.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Lord-Maniac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jk
Has anyone done a Hard reset disconnecting both batteries? after say a cold air and Exhaust Mod shouldn't the computer adjust for the added intake and Exhaust and modify the timing? a bit ?

DominionsCowboy

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sting Grey JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Well after reading this I wanted to see what it sounded like in person. So I spent 10 minutes and pulled mine off my 18 JLU sport. Its not bad at all. Hell once it warmed up idling you couldn't even hardly hear it. It was a lot easier to remove the brackets from the frame then trying to pop out the rubber bushings for sure. It does sound a little 350/370z-ish. We shall see once I get it out on the road and put some miles on it and get on it a few times. Didn't do any cutting incase I want to put it back on. But for now I like it, no tailpipe.

Mr. Beef Chief

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Well after reading this I wanted to see what it sounded like in person. So I spent 10 minutes and pulled mine off my 18 JLU sport. Its not bad at all. Hell once it warmed up idling you couldn't even hardly hear it. It was a lot easier to remove the brackets from the frame then trying to pop out the rubber bushings for sure. It does sound a little 350/370z-ish. We shall see once I get it out on the road and put some miles on it and get on it a few times. Didn't do any cutting incase I want to put it back on. But for now I like it, no tailpipe.
I've been riding around with mine off for months now. The only time it may whine and sound a bit ricey is it you small your foot down on it and drive like a jack ass. Besides that I believe it sounds great. I've gotten multiple complements on "the exhaust" people keep asking me what I put on it haha.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
I've been riding around with mine off for months now. The only time it may whine and sound a bit ricey is it you small your foot down on it and drive like a jack ass. Besides that I believe it sounds great. I've gotten multiple complements on "the exhaust" people keep asking me what I put on it haha.
My 19yo son was in the JLR with me the other day and says "dad, this sounds like a lotus, awesome!"

Bravo

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0, 2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega CTD, 2019 Roadglide Special, 2015 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV, 2019 Skidoo Summit X 165, and 2018 Skidoo Summit X 154
Just took the stock muffler off today... it doesnā€™t sound bad... lil raspy if u keep your foot in it and the decel sounds decent as well (6sp)... Iā€™ll order the Dyno max muffler delete after I drive it a few days... around town sounds good... Iā€™ll check it out on the highway tomorrow rollin to work...
Sponsored