First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
I removed the whole rear seat in my JLU and made a flat floor. I’m happy with it.

I noticed right off that there were new noises coming from there, though, when wheeling. Flexing noises.

Not loud, and I’m ok with them, but I want to be sure it’s not going to be an issue.

The seat frame is really stout, and attached with a BUNCH of red loctited bolts, so I’m sure it stiffened the body significantly.

Sooo...any cause for concern long-term? Like cracks or something?
Sponsored

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
That's a good question bud. The rear seat could very well be part of the rigidity in the framework. Being an old LEO I do know that the Ford Explorer's rear seat plays a big role in that vehicles rigidness. When you remove that seat there are quite a few stabilizing bras that have to be installed so the thing won't flex all over the place during hard use. But, in a Jeep I don't know if that the case with the solid frame.

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
I can't answer your question about the noise. But I'm considering taking the back seat out for a vacation trip.
Will the front passenger seat recline fully horizontal with your back seat removed?

OP
OP
brazos

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dog Feeder
I can't answer your question about the noise. But I'm considering taking the back seat out for a vacation trip.
Will the front passenger seat recline fully horizontal with your back seat removed?

Don’t think so. I slept in the driver seat a few times before I removed seat, and as I recall the rear seat wasn’t the limiting factor in reclining.
I’ll check tomorrow. It’s pouring out right now.

Sponsored

OP
OP
brazos

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Btw, while it does go horizontal, the seatback sits ~5” higher than the seat. Not comfortable at all, at least for me.
I’d need a couch cushion or similar in the seat to sleep that way.

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
Any update on this? I plan on removing the rear seats from my 2dr soon.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i would think the jeep will be the same with or without the rear seat.

Magnetdragon

First Name
Erwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jlu!!
I took the 60% portion in the back and built a platform and haven't heard anything out of the ordinary. Everything is pretty quiet even on road trips

MVIMG_20190321_174842.jpg
IMG_20190328_110252.jpg

Sponsored

Lohkay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I was planning to remove it today and I did notice the seat is on overkill hardware, it could be that it helps with body twist. I'll go have a look underneath to see where it attaches to. If its only the body, then I wouldn't worry too much about flex. I would highly doubt that the stiffness imparted to the body would translate to the frame through the body mounts.

As for noise, I already have some due to the RTT, that weight on top does shift ever so slightly which gives out a faint but audible creaking.

Lohkay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
As an update, removal of the back seat on a 4 door was rather easy. There is indeed red loctite but no heat was needed. I used an impact drive with a swivel adapter to get to the bolts under the seat. Took a whole 10min to get it out. The small and large sections can be separated easily as well.

As for adding torsion strength, there is no doubt it doesn't add any. All bolts are through the body and don't connect in any way to the frame. Also, once taken out the seats don't have that much strength to them. I think they have all that hardware to make sure they stay bolted down in case of a crash... probably rated for 2x 300lbs guys in the back.

For those interesed, I weighted the small section at 30lbs and the large at 58lbs for a total of 88lbs.
Sponsored