Sponsored

Removed OEM steel bumper; what is this part for?

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hi,
I am in the process of installing a new rear bumper on my JLUR, so I removed the rear OEM Steel Bumper on the Jeep yesterday evening.

I was not 100% sure what bolts and nuts to remove to assure that the bumper came off without catching on one last connection, but it came off easily after removing the obvious attachment points.

I have a question about this particular set of bolts and threaded tab. I had assumed that it was an attachment for the bumper, but when were pulling the bumper off the tab with the two welded on nuts fell to the ground.

Jeep Wrangler JL Removed OEM steel bumper; what is this part for? Bumper-Part

So, I am questioning whether this part was sandwiched around a piece of the bumper, holding the center of the bumper to the frame, or if the tab was up against the frame, in the proximity of the bumper, but not actually connecting to it.

I guess it does not matter, as they will not be used in the replacement install, but it annoys me that I did not observe where the tab was placed. It fell out before I could understand its function.

I have looked in the online parts catalogs, and found the shapes in the illustrations, but can not deduce what they are for.

What is the purpose of these parts?

Thank you!
Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Did you have a tow hitch? Believe goes with hitch mount.

edit - or when you don’t have tow hitch, this holds bumper.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I think @hoag4147 is right. The bolts look the same as the bracket I removed that bolted through the rear frame crossmember. This is from my plastic bumper no tow.

0F0DCCF5-672A-4F70-8049-9535A5DFCE8B.jpeg

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
I think @hoag4147 is right. The bolts look the same as the bracket I removed that bolted through the rear frame crossmember. This is from my plastic bumper no tow.

Jeep Wrangler JL Removed OEM steel bumper; what is this part for? 0F0DCCF5-672A-4F70-8049-9535A5DFCE8B
That’s it but different for plastic compared to steel bumper.

Jeep Wrangler JL Removed OEM steel bumper; what is this part for? BC1ACA02-C5F9-49A2-81F8-1E04B336FED4

Sponsored

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hi,
I did not have the tow hitch. The bolts were in two of the four holes, in the frame cross member, that the tow hitch would be bolted to.

The bumper has an integrated L bracket with large square pass through holes, which I assumed these bolts went through, but it does not look like the tab with the welded nuts was on the side that would have sandwiched the bumper to the frame. It looks like the tab was just pressed against the frame cross member as a coincidence. In other words, I don't think I had to remove it to pull the bumper off, but once I did I created the confusion in my mind.

...Just don't know.

Thank you for taking an interest and offering helpful ideas.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I believe it is a spacer where the receiver would go if you had the factory tow package. When I added my Mopar receiver afterwards I took that part out, the receiver slid into its spot, then added two additional bolts to holes outboard of the ones those occupied.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Hi,
I did not have the tow hitch. The bolts were in two of the four holes, in the frame cross member, that the tow hitch would be bolted to.

The bumper has an integrated L bracket with large square pass through holes, which I assumed these bolts went through, but it does not look like the tab with the welded nuts was on the side that would have sandwiched the bumper to the frame. It looks like the tab was just pressed against the frame cross member as a coincidence. In other words, I don't think I had to remove it to pull the bumper off, but once I did I created the confusion in my mind.

...Just don't know.

Thank you for taking an interest and offering helpful ideas.
I had to remove mine for my RR HD bumper to fit, but since yours it flat you may be able to throw it back on if it floats your boat.