Sponsored

Removed AUX Battery

GPWER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2DR JL RUBICON
I have read many complaints on ESS and AUX battery I removed mine today,. I was charging at 14.4 to 14.9 volts regularly and on the battery highlighted do not charge over 14.4 volts. My ESS would rarely work and called for service often. I read about people using jumpers at fuse block and installing dual battery trays but i didnt want the expense. Lastly the isea of having a battery short out my other battery not thrilled and the battery life of AUX battery is 2 years from what I understand.
I purchased new battery after removing AUX battery and hooked up positive AUX battery cable to positive terminal and now I charge at 12.9 to 13.2 volts and I can jump start at any time should I need to and peace of mind any problems with battery are visible my stock ones were clearly seeping acid out by terminals. I got the Idea from a YOUTUBE vid on the genesis battery tray install. OOPS forgot another thing on ESS battery voltage dropped quickly into the 11.9 volts sometimes I would wonder if it would restart. Voltage no longer drops stop start works sometimes but when it does voltage doesn't drop anymore, I feel it was a great alternative to buying 600.00 DOLLAR BATTERY TRAY AND 2 MORE BATTERIES . Any questions or concerns please feel free to critique also if you have any questions on access or tricks to get to AUX battery or re assembly I would be happy to answer.
Sponsored

Last edited:

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
You could have left the Aux battery in place and just used a fused jumper between N1 & N2 and then removed the ESS negative and taped the end and tucked out of the way, the aux being left where it’s at disconnected won’t hurt a thing and your JL will just use the main battery

OP
OP
GPWER

GPWER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2DR JL RUBICON
You could have left the Aux battery in place and just used a fused jumper between N1 & N2 and then removed the ESS negative and taped the end and tucked out of the way, the aux being left where it’s at disconnected won’t hurt a thing and your JL will just use the main battery

AUX Battery was seeping acid and what happens when battery shorts out? Just a thought does it short the system and blow fuses leaving me stranded? Problem eliminated. Below is the video I used to follow removal.

seanjonesSUPERTRAMP

First Name
seany
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
I have read many complaints on ESS and AUX battery I removed mine today,. I was charging at 14.4 to 14.9 volts regularly and on the battery highlighted do not charge over 14.4 volts. My ESS would rarely work and called for service often. I read about people using jumpers at fuse block and installing dual battery trays but i didnt want the expense. Lastly the isea of having a battery short out my other battery not thrilled and the battery life of AUX battery is 2 years from what I understand.
I purchased new battery after removing AUX battery and hooked up positive AUX battery cable to positive terminal and now I charge at 12.9 to 13.2 volts and I can jump start at any time should I need to and peace of mind any problems with battery are visible my stock ones were clearly seeping acid out by terminals. I got the Idea from a YOUTUBE vid on the genesis battery tray install. OOPS forgot another thing on ESS battery voltage dropped quickly into the 11.9 volts sometimes I would wonder if it would restart. Voltage no longer drops stop start works sometimes but when it does voltage doesn't drop anymore, I feel it was a great alternative to buying 600.00 DOLLAR BATTERY TRAY AND 2 MORE BATTERIES . Any questions or concerns please feel free to critique also if you have any questions on access or tricks to get to AUX battery or re assembly I would be happy to answer.
sounds interesting sir. so you removed the small aux battery and hooked the aux terminals up to the main battery?

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
OP
OP
GPWER

GPWER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2DR JL RUBICON
sounds interesting sir. so you removed the small aux battery and hooked the aux terminals up to the main battery?
That"s correct tape the ends of the negative wire to AUX battery from main and attach positive AUX battery terminal to positive terminal main battery just straighten terminal ends to fit flush on terminal.

OP
OP
GPWER

GPWER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2DR JL RUBICON
Guys this has been covered extensively, repeatedly and ad nauseum by @Jebiruph .

He can be very wordy but he knows what he's talking about. He ran with his AUX bypassed for quite a while. Note the thread below was started Oct '18 so he's been on this since practically Day 1 of JL existence

Read, seriously:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-6l-ess-aux-battery-bypass.17293/

I read his thread extensively and great job I chose to remove battery instead of adding jumper different result because AUX battery now removed just giving others another idea the benefit of forums thanks all for input.

seanjonesSUPERTRAMP

First Name
seany
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
That"s correct tape the ends of the negative wire to AUX battery from main and attach positive AUX battery terminal to positive terminal main battery just straighten terminal ends to fit flush on terminal.
sounds like a great and simple idea. thanks much

Kansascoast

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JKU, 2drJL
I like this simple solution to getting back to a one battery system. How long have you been running this way? ....and have you seen/or had any problems?

Sponsored

Ghuddy

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jl Sahara
Been 8 months many issues improved battery voltage etc ESS no issues works as designed starts up fast battery voltages are correct now before as high as 14.8 no 12.9 to 13.6
are you still running your wrangler with one battery?

Ghuddy

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jl Sahara
What did you do with the negative from the auxiliary? Just disconnect from main battery and leave it?

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

Ghuddy

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jl Sahara
That's exactly what I did!! Wish I had read this first... It was challenging getting the positive through the small hole be describes. (really tight) I actually replaced both batteries at first, but jeep still wouldn't run properly. Someone on this forum suggested it could be my N3 fuse. That fuse array is not easy to get... So I reverted to your one battery method. Maybe the n3 isn't necessary with only one battery? Either way, I was on the fence about replacing the auxiliary... This made my decision easier. Any problems for you since you did it?
Sponsored