Remove Muffler before Rock Crawling?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I've been thinking about the Rubicon and things I'd like to do before running it. The thought of removing the muffler crossed my mind, since I'd seen so many pictures or videos of mufflers being smashed. There's a coupling right at the top of the axle loop. I could make up a short bend to direct it downward.

Anyone run with the stock muffler or have thoughts?
Sponsored

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
In the list of mods to do before wheeling, I've yet to see muffler delete make it to anyone's top 15 even.
It lists for $480 and sells online for $320. If it's a sure thing that it'll get crushed, removing it couldn't take 1/2 hour. I'm going to tow it up there anyway. So, exhaust noise isn't an issue.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
If you're that concerned, I would try to find an aftermarket exhaust with a smaller muffler / better clearance. Especially if you are going with a group - the person behind you might not appreciate your clearance as much ;)

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
If you're that concerned, I would try to find an aftermarket exhaust with a smaller muffler / better clearance. Especially if you are going with a group - the person behind you might not appreciate your clearance as much ;)
I'm not really interested in leaving the muffler off. Just a one time thing for that run. I like the muffler for the street.

Sponsored

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Removal is like 15/20 minute job to see how it sounds. I had folks say it sounded good vs loud while out on trails. Neighbor lady in her 70's said it was loud, haha and complains about everything imaginable.

Last edited:

vegasblue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I didn't see what motor. I've got the 2.0T. Took about fifteen minutes to get it off. I wanted to see what it sounded like. Been rock crawling for about five years and only pinched the outlet. That said, height and tire size will be more of a factor if it's at risk.

For me this is one of those, when it gets destroyed I'll do something about it. Until then, whatever.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
This seems like another answer looking for a question. If you've seen "so many pictures or videos of mufflers being smashed" then it's probably a great idea, in fact, you'd be stupid not to; however, I've been wheeling for 30+ years and it's never been an issue. I say, buy it immediately, post-haste and straight away...or, just go wheeling and see if it becomes an issue in the next 30 years.

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
For me this is one of those, when it gets destroyed I'll do something about it. Until then, whatever.
This is the way.

Also, selfishly, I don't want to be following you on the trail if you've removed it.

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
My intent was to put it back on after the Rubicon trail run. I just don't do that level of rock crawling off-roading normally and don't intend to continue afterward.

As for the noise, it seems there are the cats and the mid-body resonator and the aftermarket seems to do the muffler eliminator
This seems like another answer looking for a question. If you've seen "so many pictures or videos of mufflers being smashed" then it's probably a great idea, in fact, you'd be stupid not to; however, I've been wheeling for 30+ years and it's never been an issue. I say, buy it immediately, post-haste and straight away...or, just go wheeling and see if it becomes an issue in the next 30 years.
I wasn't looking to buy anything, just thinking about removing it for one particularly difficult trail run. But since you have 30 years of the Rubicon trail in a 4 door JLUR and it's never been an issue, I must be concerned about nothing.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
My intent was to put it back on after the Rubicon trail run. I just don't do that level of rock crawling off-roading normally and don't intend to continue afterward.

As for the noise, it seems there are the cats and the mid-body resonator and the aftermarket seems to do the muffler eliminator
I wasn't looking to buy anything, just thinking about removing it for one particularly difficult trail run. But since you have 30 years of the Rubicon trail in a 4 door JLUR and it's never been an issue, I must be concerned about nothing.
If "it lists for $480 and sells online for $320" and you're not buying anything, even though you're talking about the "aftermarket", I think you're overpaying. Should be free if you're not buying anything, aftermarket or not.

"I must be concerned about nothing." Yep.

Last edited:

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
I've been thinking about the Rubicon and things I'd like to do before running it. The thought of removing the muffler crossed my mind, since I'd seen so many pictures or videos of mufflers being smashed. There's a coupling right at the top of the axle loop. I could make up a short bend to direct it downward.

Anyone run with the stock muffler or have thoughts?
Not sure about the JL but on my JK, I installed a skid plate for the muffler.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
i lunched a bit of the exhaust in Moab once over 20 years ago, and never since.

that said, i'll do underbelly protection before i start removing exhaust bits.

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
The big round OEM beercan muffler was no go for me not only because its big round size but I also didn't like how it makes the 2L i4 sound. I know this because when I did the muffler delete for about 1 year it makes a much better sound... but after awhile it was a little too loud inside the cab when I really open it up.
So after some research I choose to install the AFE POWER muffler... now I got the best of both worlds... the sound is perfect! Strong sounding without the v8 drone. It is also very compact and slim fitting. Here are some pics to show the clearance...

Jeep Wrangler JL Remove Muffler before Rock Crawling? 20220523_114337
Jeep Wrangler JL Remove Muffler before Rock Crawling? 20220523_114140
Jeep Wrangler JL Remove Muffler before Rock Crawling? 20220523_114508
Jeep Wrangler JL Remove Muffler before Rock Crawling? 20220523_114639

AirportDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUXR, 2018 GC Trailhawk Hemi
Occupation
Aeronautics Professional
Be a responsible wheeler- leave it on. Pressures to close and restrict trails are building all over the place, and unreasonably loud vehicles are just another tool in the arsenals of others who would prefer no motorized travel in the places we love to go.
Sponsored

Last edited: