First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Has anyone removed the Mopar Flat Tow Harness to move it over to a new JL?

I ordered a new 4XE to replace my 19 JL, and have a LONG list of mods I need to remove from the old Jeep.

I would rather save the $350 / $400 by removing my harness & move it over.

I am just not sure if there are any parts of it that i would not be able to disassemble for removal.

has anyone done this?

thanks!
Sponsored

berb

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito Jeep Wrangler JLU / 2020 Hydroblue Gladiator
Is the Mopar Flat Tow Harness so that you can tow your Jeep behind a motorhome?

berb

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, I would recommend not moving the base plate over and getting a new one. I have had several tow vehicles and have installed base plates on them with my brother in law. When we installed our base plates we used a lot of Red Loctite. Anyone who's installed any base plate should have used Loctite. It's going to be very difficult to remove that base plate unless you have some high end tools. It also will double your work time because you have to remove the base plate off the old car then install it on the new car. Buy a new one. It will be money well spent.

OP
OP
Terminex

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
So, I would recommend not moving the base plate over and getting a new one. I have had several tow vehicles and have installed base plates on them with my brother in law. When we installed our base plates we used a lot of Red Loctite. Anyone who's installed any base plate should have used Loctite. It's going to be very difficult to remove that base plate unless you have some high end tools. It also will double your work time because you have to remove the base plate off the old car then install it on the new car. Buy a new one. It will be money well spent.
i am thinking you meant this response for another thead?

my question was around the harness, not any baseplate. I do not even use a baseplate, as i have the RockHard 4x4 front bumper and LOD frame tie in brackets. I will be moving those over to the new jeep.

fyi, not sure where you are getting your info, but you do not need any high end tools to remove the bolts mounting a bumper or a baseplate to the frame. A cheap breaker bar is more than sufficient. (Done it many times)

an even easier way is to simply add some heat.

one final note, is to be careful with locktite. I hope you adjusted the torque measurements you used when doing the install, unless the instructions gave you a torque value while calling out the use of locktite. (If using locktite when it isnot called for, it is good to lower the torque value you use 20 -30% due to the change in resistance)

Sponsored

berb

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i am thinking you meant this response for another thead?

my question was around the harness, not any baseplate. I do not even use a baseplate, as i have the RockHard 4x4 front bumper and LOD frame tie in brackets. I will be moving those over to the new jeep.

fyi, not sure where you are getting your info, but you do not need any high end tools to remove the bolts mounting a bumper or a baseplate to the frame. A cheap breaker bar is more than sufficient. (Done it many times)

an even easier way is to simply add some heat.

one final note, is to be careful with locktite. I hope you adjusted the torque measurements you used when doing the install, unless the instructions gave you a torque value while calling out the use of locktite. (If using locktite when it isnot called for, it is good to lower the torque value you use 20 -30% due to the change in resistance)
Thanks, my reply was for this thread. I wasn't aware of bumper mounting brackets to flat tow a vehicle. I have only seen vehicles with base plate. Sorry for the confusion.

OP
OP
Terminex

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Thanks, my reply was for this thread. I wasn't aware of bumper mounting brackets to flat tow a vehicle. I have only seen vehicles with base plate. Sorry for the confusion.
no problem.

just to clarify, what I am using is a bumper that is built to support flat towing. The brackets that I added do not support flat towing on their own, they simply provide additional reinforcement for the connection between the bumper & the frame rails.

If people are looking for just a traditional baseplate style setup, I would recommend the Maximus 3 tow loops. If I didn't have the bumper setup that is what I would do. Much lower profile than any baseplate offering.

Maximus 3 Tow Loops
Sponsored