Sponsored

Remote start won’t work in cold weather

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Certainly sounds like a battery problem. Sorry you are having to deal with this. The system sucks. I have not had any problems with my JLUR that has the 3.6 and the eTorque because it does not use that smaller battery. However, my wife's brand new GCL start system did not work the day we picked it up and has been in three times sense then. The last time it worked for 3 months and now it is broken again. Would not be a big deal if it did not flash warning signs on the dash all the time.
Sponsored

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
Depends on how cold it is. It was -18 here yesterday with -50 in wind chill. I went out to start my daughters XJ for her and even with a brand new battery, it took several cranks and a bit of finesse to get started. Most auto starts will only hit the starter for a second or two. Your battery might not have enough juice left to crank over on the first try and then the auto start will not work.
Just FYI, windchill doesn’t affect inanimate objects.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Just FYI, windchill doesn’t affect inanimate objects.
Sorry, did I state it did in my post? Just added that in to say it was really cold out and wanted to be a nice dad by helping to preheat my daughters XJ and ensure it started before she had to go to work. But since you wanted to give a science lesson, I am well aware of the effects of wind chill on inanimate objects. Wind chill does shorten the amount of time it takes for an inanimate object to cool. Meaning wind chill exposed items will cool to the outside ambient temperature chill (in this case -18) faster than without the wind chill.

Last edited:

ColoradoB

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon
I've had to park my 2019 2.0L JL outside this last week while we've had temperatures around 0 degrees. The remote start won't work on mine. You can hear the car 'click click' but it won't start. Getting in the car and pressing the ignition button lets it start right up though.

If I drive it around for ten minutes, park, and try, the remote start on keyfob works just fine

I wonder if the auxiliary battery is failing and causing the problem.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Rubicon, '10 Tahoe PPV, '04 Colorado ZQ8
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
My wifes '19 JLUR didn't remote start this morning.

Guess I will have to do some diagnostics when I get home
Sponsored