Sponsored

Remote start w/doors off? (How to wire it so it thinks my doors are all attached and closed.)

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
Hi! It's starting to get cold, so of course, I'm not going to be putting the doors back on. But I would like to be able to remote start my JLUR with either the keyfob or with Uconnect!

Naturally, the vehicle refuses any such remote-start requests, letting me know that one (or "all") of my doors are open (or "missing"). Might anyone be able to point me to what pins I need to connect on my door wiring harnesses to convince the Wrangler that my doors are all attached and most certainly closed?

Thanks,
McJosh
Sponsored

OP
OP
jmccorm

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
I've attached what appears to be the appropriate wiring diagram for the JLU's door ajar sense system. Can someone help me translate this image into a set of how-to instructions?

Attachments

OP
OP
jmccorm

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
Is anyone able to help read and interpret the diagram?

If I'm looking to convince the Wrangler that the front passenger door is closed, which wires should I connect at the door harness? I'm guessing that I connect BEIGE/ORANGE with VIOLET/WHITE?

I also see that in addition to colors, the wiring diagram gives pin numbers. Several different pin numbers for the same wire! It looks like those might be their pin numbers at different points within its internal wiring harness. I was also wondering... might anyone have a list of pins for each door harness?

Dave928

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 03 Silverado, 88 Porsche 928 S4
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
the circuit titles make it a little confusing, but given that diagram
jumper 17 & 18 on the front door connectors:

Driver side (XY600A):
Pin........Color.....................Function
17BG/BNDOOR LOCK SW RTN DRIV
18VTDRIVER DOOR AJAR SWITCH SENSE

Passenger side (XY650A):
Pin.......Color...................Function
17BG/OGDOOR LOCK SW RTN PASS
18VT/WHPASSENGER DOOR AJAR SWITCH SENSE

Jeep Wrangler JL Remote start w/doors off? (How to wire it so it thinks my doors are all attached and closed.) FRONT_DOOR_CONNECTOR

and 6 & 7 on the rear door connectors:

Driver side (XY700A):
Pin....Color...................Function
6VT/GYLEFT REAR DOOR AJAR SWITCH SENSE
7BG/BNDOOR LOCK SW RTN DRIV

Passenger side (XY750A):
Pin....Color...................Function
6VT/YERIGHT REAR DOOR AJAR SWITCH SENSE
7BG/OGDOOR LOCK SW RTN PASS

Jeep Wrangler JL Remote start w/doors off? (How to wire it so it thinks my doors are all attached and closed.) REAR_DOOR_CONNECTOR

OP
OP
jmccorm

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
the circuit titles make it a little confusing, but given that diagram
jumper 17 & 18 on the front door connectors...
I don't know who you are, or how you happened to have the missing pieces, but on behalf of those who like to roll with their JL doors removed, thank you!

Sponsored

Dave928

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 03 Silverado, 88 Porsche 928 S4
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
the Phantom Electrician strikes again! LOL.

there's still that "Driver Door Secondary Ajar Switch Sense" on Pin 6 that might throw a wrench in your plans.

if something breaks or doesn't work, don't blame me.

OP
OP
jmccorm

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
I'm currently chasing down my best way of implementing this.

My strong preference here is to avoid making modifications on the vehicle side of the connector because too many things can go wrong. It looks like I'm going to be making four minimal plug-ins which are individually designed for each of the four door connectors.

I tried looking up the part number for just the door connectors themselves, and I'm not finding them. Now, I'm new to the world of Jeep and Mopar, so there might be something I don't know here? Perhaps Jeep doesn't get that small with parts and a wiring harness is as close as I'm going to get unless I look elsewhere?

At Mopar, all I can find are the larger door wiring harnesses (which include the connectors on one end). Sure, that'll work, but it's an added expense and a waste just to snip off the connector I need and throw away the rest of the harness. On the upside, at least saves me the trouble of wiring up a blank connector with all the pins it's going to need. For the front doors, there appears to be two or more harnesses to choose from (based on installed vehicle options). Since we're only wanting a connector that tells the vehicle that a door is present and closed, I always went with the least expensive choice.

PART______ MSRP__ DESCRIPTION__________________________
68321776AF $22.25 WIRING. Rear Door. Right Rear Door.
68299330AF $42.05 WIRING. Front Door. Right Front Door.
68299331AF $46.10 WIRING. Front Door. Left Front Door.
68321774AF $22.00 WIRING. Rear Door. Left Rear Door.

So that's $132.40. If there aren't any great lower-cost alternatives for finding just the door connectors themselves, I'd be willing to buy the harnesses and work from there.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: Linked the part numbers to their Mopar store pages.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jmccorm

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
UPDATE:

Back door wiring harnesses are on national backorder. I've ordered a pair of front door wiring harnesses, and that's a good thing, because just a few sets are left nationwide before they too go on backorder.

Plan is to turn the harness into door connector pigtails, use them to measure for existing voltages, create fast-blow fuse protected connections to test functionality, and then to solder and shrink-wrap stable connections.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jmccorm

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
UPDATE:

Both front door harnesses received, and they look good! A prototype door delete is almost a certainty. I'm working on obtaining the rear door harnesses.

At the same time, related to my other project, I'm wondering if it might be easier to do a virtual door delete via a CAN bus tool.

stiilo

First Name
Frankie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL
Hi! It's starting to get cold, so of course, I'm not going to be putting the doors back on. But I would like to be able to remote start my JLUR with either the keyfob or with Uconnect!

Naturally, the vehicle refuses any such remote-start requests, letting me know that one (or "all") of my doors are open (or "missing"). Might anyone be able to point me to what pins I need to connect on my door wiring harnesses to convince the Wrangler that my doors are all attached and most certainly closed?

Thanks,
McJosh
Which remote start are you using? Which bypass are you using for the remote start? If you want a simple 3x lock on the factory key fob you can use a Fortin EVOALL. Thatā€™s personally my favorite bypass to use. You only need that as a stand-alone. I believe the remote start still turns on with the doors off.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jmccorm

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
Which remote start are you using?
Factory remote-start. With the doors removed, it refuses a keyfob (or Uconnect app) remote start, giving an on-screen explanation "Remote start cancelled, door opened."

So this is an electronic door delete project which tells the Wrangler that the doors are connected and closed when they're actually not present. I'll continue to work on this as four custom dongles which plug into the door harness connectors and give the "door closed" signals, but I'm also going to see if I can do the same thing virtually via the interior CAN bus (a virtual door delete).

OP
OP
jmccorm

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
Below are pictures of the front passenger door wiring harness that I ordered. You can also look at a page with information on just the door connector itself.

The harness looks absolutely perfect. Both of them (front driver and passenger sides) have only has four lines coming out of the connector. Passenger side as follows:

PIN COLOR DESCRIPTION
08 WH/GN AMBIENT LIGHTING CONTROL
12 BK/BK GROUND
17 BG/OG DOOR LOCK SW RTN PASS
18 VT/WT PASSENGER DOOR AJAR SWITCH SENSE

Everything about the cable is matching up with theory.

Jeep Wrangler JL Remote start w/doors off? (How to wire it so it thinks my doors are all attached and closed.) IMG_1109

Jeep Wrangler JL Remote start w/doors off? (How to wire it so it thinks my doors are all attached and closed.) IMG_1107

After double checking my work with a multimeter (just to make sure I'm not going to create a disaster), I'm ready for an actual attempt with the harness turned into a pigtail.

I've connected the front passenger harness (no wires connected) into the vehicle. It acts like it does when the door is off. No "front right door ajar" picture displayed on the EVIC. It refuses to remote start.

I'm tying together the wires to pins 17 and 18 and testing again. NOTHING! No change in status! It isn't working.

So thinking about how this operates, it seems to know both when a door's harness has been connected, and then it also knows what the open/close status of that door is. Going back to the wiring diagram, I see that another switch ties pin 17 (DOOR LOCK SW RTN PASS) to pin 5 (RIGHT DOOR LOCK SWITCH STATUS). This harness doesn't have a pin 5 already wired up, but I bet that the more expensive version of this harness does.

This seems like it is going to require me to tie pins 5, 17, and 18 together to get the door sensed as present and then sensed as closed. I think that's the direction I'll go with this... but that adventure will have to wait for another time.

PS: Any tips on releasing a pin from this connector so I can repurpose it for another location?

stiilo

First Name
Frankie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL
Below are pictures of the front passenger door wiring harness that I ordered. You can also look at a page with information on just the door connector itself.

The harness looks absolutely perfect. Both of them (front driver and passenger sides) have only has four lines coming out of the connector. Passenger side as follows:

PIN COLOR DESCRIPTION
08 WH/GN AMBIENT LIGHTING CONTROL
12 BK/BK GROUND
17 BG/OG DOOR LOCK SW RTN PASS
18 VT/WT PASSENGER DOOR AJAR SWITCH SENSE

Everything about the cable is matching up with theory.

Jeep Wrangler JL Remote start w/doors off? (How to wire it so it thinks my doors are all attached and closed.) IMG_1107

After double checking my work with a multimeter (just to make sure I'm not going to create a disaster), I'm ready for an actual attempt with the harness turned into a pigtail.

I've connected the front passenger harness (no wires connected) into the vehicle. It acts like it does when the door is off. No "front right door ajar" picture displayed on the EVIC. It refuses to remote start.

I'm tying together the wires to pins 17 and 18 and testing again. NOTHING! No change in status! It isn't working.

So thinking about how this operates, it seems to know both when a door's harness has been connected, and then it also knows what the open/close status of that door is. Going back to the wiring diagram, I see that another switch ties pin 17 (DOOR LOCK SW RTN PASS) to pin 5 (RIGHT DOOR LOCK SWITCH STATUS). This harness doesn't have a pin 5 already wired up, but I bet that the more expensive version of this harness does.

This seems like it is going to require me to tie pins 5, 17, and 18 together to get the door sensed as present and then sensed as closed. I think that's the direction I'll go with this... but that adventure will have to wait for another time.

PS: Any tips on releasing a pin from this connector so I can repurpose it for another location?
Thinking about it, it has to be something with the can bus still telling the Jeep the doors are off. Itā€™s not the door triggers but something with data even when you have your door harness loop connected. Itā€™s going to be difficult I think with the Mopar factory piece. Thatā€™s why I would go aftermarket to save you the headache. That Fortin EVOALL is a $60 piece and any tech that knows how to do remote starts could get that installed. Itā€™s a pretty simple install and itā€™ll save the headache with the remote start issue you are having. Also the Fortin has a lot of options and settings you can change with the remote start. Thereā€™s also smartstart options for your cellphone. You can buy ā€œdrone mobileā€ with the Fortin EVOALL and be able to lock; unlock; remote start; and track your car from any where around the world. Iā€™m intrigued in your project and maybe you can get the can bus situation figured out.

OP
OP
jmccorm

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
Spring's back, doors are off, so this project resumes once again.

I just worked with Benny at AllMoparParts who believes we've ordered the two front wiring harness connectors that are designed for my vehicle (with all the required connections). This should allow me to create a door delete harness. Or actually, just a dongle. Enough wiring to make the Wrangler believe that the doors are still attached to the vehicle and closed. And when in that state, remote start would be possible once again.

We've ordered part numbers 68299332AG and 68299333AG which are national back-ordered 30 days. It's progress, but there's not going to be much for me to do until the parts come in. That aside, I'd like to think that there's some magical switch inside the BCM that I can flip to disable this behavior, but it's probably remote to think I'm going to be able to find that on my own here.

$113.50 spent. Got to wait before we can do the hard work.

JP29

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
Keep us posted. Your tech writeups are a gold mine!
Sponsored