Sponsored

Remote Start suggestions w/ Manual trans and Smartphone?

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Alright, So I've got a '19 JLUR w/ manual trans. I bought my wife a remote start for her car for xmas, and out of curiosity, I asked the shop if they can do a remote start on my Jeep. They said it is possible, and gave me a reasonable price quote. Thing is- I'd have another key fob with a ~3000 ft line of sight range. It's not bad, and I may go with it for the price.

However, that got me thinking: I know there are factory offerings that allow you to start your vehicle from your smartphone. Are there any aftermarket? Reason being: Where I work, it's roughly 3000+ feet from my building to where I park, and there is a lot of interference (both digital/RF and physical obstacles). Also: I'd like the Jeep to be warmed up when I get inside, so I would likely start it when I finish my meeting at the end of my shift.

Can you get this kind of thing with a manual transmission? What are the costs? I found a few DIY methods but they definitely violate your warranty. Still, interesting though...
Sponsored

Last edited:

jeepthang

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
RubiSc0tt I have the same question as you. I have a manual and don't think it's possible without some aftermarket modding. Curious to see if anyone has explored this yet...

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I can get (basically) the same remote start as my wife's Rav4 for $325. I saw a Viper unit online that is exactly what I was looking for but it's ~$500-600 +$60/yr subscription service, but it does not specify with manual trans. I may try to find an installer but this is kind of lower on the list for me.

CRZYCDN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL XR Unlimited

captainstabbins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I used Fortin on my JK and it worked perfectly. Highly recommend them. Not sure with the JL. Mine came with factory remote start.

Sponsored

jeepscout

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
Vehicle Showcase
I used the Viper system with the app for remote starting. The fob can be used but isn't necessary. It worked very well and can be upgraded to your liking with various sensors. Out of curiosity, I asked the installer if it can be used for manuals and he said yes and there is a way to do it so it will not engage the starter if it is in gear. I really liked mine and rarely used the remote because the app worked well.

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
It's starting to get cold out here and my coworker reminded me he has remote start on his 15 JKU. Revisting this topic. I may actually do this this year as an early xmas gift for myself. It's not so much for when I'm at home, because I can use my keyfob for that. It's more for when I'm leaving work on those freezing mornings, or when We are out somewhere and I want to get the Jeep warmed up for my family.

I used the Viper system with the app for remote starting. The fob can be used but isn't necessary. It worked very well and can be upgraded to your liking with various sensors. Out of curiosity, I asked the installer if it can be used for manuals and he said yes and there is a way to do it so it will not engage the starter if it is in gear. I really liked mine and rarely used the remote because the app worked well.
@jeepscout - you said you have this remote start? is this the one you have? It's like a regular remote starter, where the key still needs to be present in the Jeep to drive it, correct? What how much functionality does the app have? Stop/Start or can you turn on the heat, etc? Seriously considering this

jeepscout

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
Vehicle Showcase
It's starting to get cold out here and my coworker reminded me he has remote start on his 15 JKU. Revisting this topic. I may actually do this this year as an early xmas gift for myself. It's not so much for when I'm at home, because I can use my keyfob for that. It's more for when I'm leaving work on those freezing mornings, or when We are out somewhere and I want to get the Jeep warmed up for my family.

@jeepscout - you said you have this remote start? is this the one you have? It's like a regular remote starter, where the key still needs to be present in the Jeep to drive it, correct? What how much functionality does the app have? Stop/Start or can you turn on the heat, etc? Seriously considering this
That is the one I had. The app functionality is similar to the Uconnect except it works. You can start, stop and track it. It alerts you if the alarm goes off. You will still need to fob present in the Jeep to start it.

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
That is the one I had. The app functionality is similar to the Uconnect except it works. You can start, stop and track it. It alerts you if the alarm goes off. You will still need to fob present in the Jeep to start it.
Awesome. Do you know what you needed for this?
What was the cost, if you don't mind me asking?
I'm just trying to figure out a ball park price range, and exactly what I need. A co worker is considering getting this but he has a different kind of vehicle. He said he got a quote for $500 from the local Best Buy. They told him he needs a Remote start unit(~$200), a Smart Start Unit (~$200), and the App ($100 for the year). He's also saying his keyfob only has a mile range and that the phone won't actually start the vehicle. Comparing this to the info on the Viper site, I'd be looking at the $60/yr plan (or less- even the base service plan says it features starting your vehicle from your phone, anywhere in the world), and it appears you just need the smart start unit, the app, and the service plan? This would make sense as most new vehicles are switching to push to start vs keys, and I believe his is keyed. It looks like the Smart start unit just plugs into an existing harness.

I was planning on going to the local installer that did my wife's remotes starter because they're contracted by a bunch of dealers in the area. Thanks in advance for any info.

jeepscout

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome. Do you know what you needed for this?
What was the cost, if you don't mind me asking?
I'm just trying to figure out a ball park price range, and exactly what I need. A co worker is considering getting this but he has a different kind of vehicle. He said he got a quote for $500 from the local Best Buy. They told him he needs a Remote start unit(~$200), a Smart Start Unit (~$200), and the App ($100 for the year). He's also saying his keyfob only has a mile range and that the phone won't actually start the vehicle. Comparing this to the info on the Viper site, I'd be looking at the $60/yr plan (or less- even the base service plan says it features starting your vehicle from your phone, anywhere in the world), and it appears you just need the smart start unit, the app, and the service plan? This would make sense as most new vehicles are switching to push to start vs keys, and I believe his is keyed. It looks like the Smart start unit just plugs into an existing harness.

I was planning on going to the local installer that did my wife's remotes starter because they're contracted by a bunch of dealers in the area. Thanks in advance for any info.
That price sounds about right. I added extra sensors and functions. I tested mine from Singapore and Australia. It started every time and I could monitor it if my wife drove it anywhere. I really liked it. It’s expensive but you’ll appreciate it once you get used to it. I would maybe look at some local shops to compare against the big box stores. Installation may be less.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
AWESOME. Thanks for confirming that @jeepscout. Starting from overseas is pretty nuts. Not something I'll be trying anytime soon, but good to know it works. Looks like I'll be putting this into the budget...

claytonjn

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Black and Tan
Sent here from another thread - I know this one's specifically asking about remote start with a manual trans but there seems to be a bit of knowledge in here and anything that works with a manual should work with an auto as well...

Just traded in my 17 JK for a 20 JL Sport with the 7" Uconnect and Cold Weather Group. I know I can't use the Uconnect app for remote-start. I had installed Viper SmartStart on my JK with just the DSM350 SmartStart module, a dball2, and a t-harness. Does anyone know if the dball2 will work with the JLs and if there's a t-harness available? If not, what other plug-and-play solutions are there to add app-based remote start / door locks to the JLs?

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
So, i called my local Best Buy today, talked to an installer and was told:

"We can't install a remote starter in your Jeep. It's against the law because it is a manual transmission and a convertible. If you had the top off and something was to knock the Jeep into gear (lol), it could start and run into something/ someone. "
Interesting, is this a state law, do you know?
"I'm not sure, I just know it's the law"
So, with a kit like that, is it just plug and play?
:"With an Automatic it is, but with a manual there are other wires that need to be put in"

I looked online and couldn't find any statutes specifically stating such.
I found a bunch of videos from remote start installers explaining how several different systems work when installed, and how there is an interlock that prevents the vehicle from starting if left in gear, or if the door is opened and it is knocked into gear (lol), etc. These are all modules that are plugged into existing wiring harnesses and did not explicitly state there were any splicing of wires.

I'm calling BS on this.

I need to do some more research and make some more phone calls. i will post updates as I have them.

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
DON'T CALL IT A COME BACK!

SO, revisiting this thread because I'm actually kinda considering this again. I forgot to post my last update last year.

I called another local shop and they said they could do it. It was going to be $800 and would be a different brand than Viper. At the time, I wanted to get armor and a winch on the Jeep, so I skipped. With a potential build coming up, and a little shuffling of that budget- I may be able to swing this. And it would be worth it for warming the Jeep up after work, or eventually for the kids (3 and 8 months) whenever we start being able to go places again.

I need to call them again and ask, and I will post details this time.
Sponsored