Sponsored

Remote Start suggestions w/ Manual trans and Smartphone?

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Finally coming back around to this:

Called a local shop, asked: Remote start for a manual transmission with smartphone capability.
I was quoted $579 installed for a Compustar with the Drone app that allows you to start the vehicle from your phone, anywhere in the world. It takes 4 hours and they book a week and a half in advance.

I was quoted almost $900 for another shop last year.

Seriously considering this. I'd use it pretty often, after work and with small kids (to get the Jeep ready for them.
Sponsored

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
Finally coming back around to this:

Called a local shop, asked: Remote start for a manual transmission with smartphone capability.
I was quoted $579 installed for a Compustar with the Drone app that allows you to start the vehicle from your phone, anywhere in the world. It takes 4 hours and they book a week and a half in advance.

I was quoted almost $900 for another shop last year.

Seriously considering this. I'd use it pretty often, after work and with small kids (to get the Jeep ready for them.
Interesting, please post impressions if you get it done! I'd love to do something like this.

Mr Lee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I installed a few MT remote starts on vehicles. This was several years ago so I do have a question. How does it know it's in neutral.
The ones I installed either had a sensor block you put around the shifter or the newer ones has a shut down procedure. If I remember right you had to put it in neutral park brake on brake pedal off activate the fob then turn off the engine. Their could have been something about exiting the vehicle also. Most customers forgot to do this which disabled it any way.

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interesting, please post impressions if you get it done! I'd love to do something like this.
will do. I've got some other expenses coming up, and we are midway through Feb so I may hold off on getting this done. The main thing for me would be scheduling in as the shop is about 20 miles south of me, or ~30-45 min drive, and the install takes 4 hours. I can't just drop the Jeep and go because work/ child care schedules. We'll see.

I installed a few MT remote starts on vehicles. This was several years ago so I do have a question. How does it know it's in neutral.
The ones I installed either had a sensor block you put around the shifter or the newer ones has a shut down procedure. If I remember right you had to put it in neutral park brake on brake pedal off activate the fob then turn off the engine. Their could have been something about exiting the vehicle also. Most customers forgot to do this which disabled it any way.
I've never installed them. I only know what i've been told and what i've seen on YT. Basically, if I understand correctly:
1). there is some sort of motion sensor to detect if the vehicle jumps forward, that will shut it down.
2). there is an interlock that goes to the parking brake, to make sure it's engaged.
3). there is some sort of hokey pokey routine you have to go through before getting out of the vehicle to "arm" it. Put the vehicle in Neutral with the P-brake on, start it with the remote, lock the doors, get out, close it, lock it again, do the hokey pokey and turn yourself around, etc. You are correct- if you don't do this, the remote start will not function.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I can get (basically) the same remote start as my wife's Rav4 for $325. I saw a Viper unit online that is exactly what I was looking for but it's ~$500-600 +$60/yr subscription service, but it does not specify with manual trans. I may try to find an installer but this is kind of lower on the list for me.
It can be done. I installed remote start on a couple volkswagens when they said it was impossible.
You can use the Viper or similar unit, find an output that works 'when locked' or similar, connect that to a relay that goes to the clutch switch. Bob's your uncle.
Edit-there is no way to know it's in neutral without some kind of limit switches on the shift linkage. You'll need to make sure it's not in gear, or watch it drive into something when it starts (depending on your parking brake).

Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
will do. I've got some other expenses coming up, and we are midway through Feb so I may hold off on getting this done. The main thing for me would be scheduling in as the shop is about 20 miles south of me, or ~30-45 min drive, and the install takes 4 hours. I can't just drop the Jeep and go because work/ child care schedules. We'll see.

I've never installed them. I only know what i've been told and what i've seen on YT. Basically, if I understand correctly:
1). there is some sort of motion sensor to detect if the vehicle jumps forward, that will shut it down.
2). there is an interlock that goes to the parking brake, to make sure it's engaged.
3). there is some sort of hokey pokey routine you have to go through before getting out of the vehicle to "arm" it. Put the vehicle in Neutral with the P-brake on, start it with the remote, lock the doors, get out, close it, lock it again, do the hokey pokey and turn yourself around, etc. You are correct- if you don't do this, the remote start will not function.
You can bypass the hokey pokey routine by wiring it up as an automatic. The motion sensor is a great idea, they were not available when I did my VW.

2019RubiconNY

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon, 21 Willys, 22 Rubicon
Ok everyone, so which remote start for manual is best?
Rating price, and ease to use.
Compustar?
Viper?

i'm thinking Compustar is the best way to go. Simple fact that you don't have to pay yearly. I don't need an alarm on my JL except the factory style. So why pay for something you dont want.

Whats the consensus?

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Ok everyone, so which remote start for manual is best?
Rating price, and ease to use.
Compustar?
Viper?

i'm thinking Compustar is the best way to go. Simple fact that you don't have to pay yearly. I don't need an alarm on my JL except the factory style. So why pay for something you dont want.

Whats the consensus?
I would go Compustar w/ Drone so you can use the Smartphone app- it does have a monthly sub but if I was going to go for it, that's what I would do.
That said- My wife got me a remote start from Amazon for xmas (she's awesome); problem was it was for Automatic Trans only. I was going to see if maybe i could hack it together, but unfortunately I talked to customer support as well as a few install shops in my area and with a manual transmission- it needs a completely different "brain" than Auto trans units.
I got a few quotes for the install of the Compustar Manual Trans Unit and they're on average $200+ from last year- so, $500-700.
Being that my use case has changed with my job role in the last year and I've got other priorities- I've opted to forgo a remote start.

J.Ferreira

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tmgps.org
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLWS 6MT
Ok, I hope you fine folks are still around.
How did you bypass the clutch? I'm guessing it's more electronics?

My clutch interlock switch, and clutch position sensor act up in the cold and make it a pain in the dick to start in the winter. So I'd like to create a clutch bypass switch, but I can't find anything online about people that have done so with a JL yet.

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation

My clutch interlock switch, and clutch position sensor act up in the cold and make it a pain in the dick to start in the winter. So I'd like to create a clutch bypass switch, but I can't find anything online about people that have done so with a JL yet.
I believe Doing that would be seen as defeating a neutral safety switch, which is illegal in NY. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.
Most Manual transmission remote starts come with sensors for this. If you have one and it’s acting up, you may need to contact the remote start manufacturer or installer and get a new one, if I’m understanding your question.

Sponsored

J.Ferreira

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tmgps.org
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLWS 6MT
I believe Doing that would be seen as defeating a neutral safety switch, which is illegal in NY. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.
Most Manual transmission remote starts come with sensors for this. If you have one and it’s acting up, you may need to contact the remote start manufacturer or installer and get a new one, if I’m understanding your question.
Toyotas used to come with clutch bypasses from the factory.
Wild that’s illegal in NY.

But no, no remote start. Just trying to figure out if I can create a clutch bypass switch for faulty sensors.

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
Don't put a remote start on a manual. It is a bad idea and not safe. You should be parking your manual cars in gear everytime.

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Toyotas used to come with clutch bypasses from the factory.
Wild that’s illegal in NY.

But no, no remote start. Just trying to figure out if I can create a clutch bypass switch for faulty sensors.
Generally speaking, if it's OEM- they can't really do much about it. I remember hearing something about a bill passing in NYS making the electronic exhaust cut outs illegal, which I believe is also known as "Active" or "2 stage" exhaust. I know a lot of friends who have it on their cars from the factor (Mustang, Charger/ Challenger, etc) and They're fully registered and inspected in NYS.
I just know the Neutral Safety Switch thing because someone else was trying to do something similar and they got told by a shop/ installer that they were not allowed to do it because it would be defeating the NSS. On the TJ's you could just plug a fuse into the fuse panel behind the glovebox. It was how they did it for Auto trans Jeeps ;)

Don't put a remote start on a manual. It is a bad idea and not safe. You should be parking your manual cars in gear everytime.
Thanks for your input.

Jeep Wick

First Name
Wick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 High Tide
Occupation
Mechanic

You can add a relay to act as the clutch pedal... I've done this on manual remote starts before. You may need multiple relays to cover both sensors and the interlock, or maybe just spoof the interlock? The JL is more complicated than my previous vehicles. Here is a diagram to help.
Jeep Wrangler JL Remote Start suggestions w/ Manual trans and Smartphone? 1699577545115

J.Ferreira

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tmgps.org
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLWS 6MT
You can add a relay to act as the clutch pedal... I've done this on manual remote starts before. You may need multiple relays to cover both sensors and the interlock, or maybe just spoof the interlock? The JL is more complicated than my previous vehicles. Here is a diagram to help.
Jeep Wrangler JL Remote Start suggestions w/ Manual trans and Smartphone? 1699577545115
She's currently at the dealership to get the sensor(s) replaced under warranty, but I'll definitely be keeping this in mind if it happens post warranty.
Sponsored