Sponsored

Remote start not working

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
2021 JLUR, remote start bot working. Lights flash once and nothing. I do get a message on my dash the says “remote start canceled door open”. I have a full tank of gas, weather is in the 70s, all door have been Opened and slammed shut. I did forget to plug my hardtop harness back in after putting the top on. I figured that was it, I plugged it in, drove the jeep around the parking lot and tried again to remote start: same message. The Jeep does not tell me a door open while driving, alarm arms just fine. Any ideas?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@somedude922

Have you had the doors off of the JL ?

Have you used JSCAN to program anything. Have you done any hacks lets say in an attempt to disable ESS ?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I own a vehicle that won't remote start with the doors unlocked.
@sherpaJL

On a JL or JT...

When you depress the remote start button on the fob twice, all doors automatically lock and then the vehicle remote starts.

IF, if any door, rear hatch or the engine compartment hood is not closed properly, the vehicle will not attempt to start.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
somedude922

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@somedude922

Have you had the doors off of the JL ?

Have you used JSCAN to program anything. Have you done any hacks lets say in an attempt to disable ESS ?
I have had the doors off before several times, not recently. No Jscan or tazer or anything. I have e torque so no aux battery.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have had the doors off before several times, not recently. No Jscan or tazer or anything. I have e torque so no aux battery.
@somedude922

Doors off not recently you say... Have the doors / any door, been off since the last time you sucessfully remote started your JL?

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
2021 JLUR, remote start bot working. Lights flash once and nothing. I do get a message on my dash the says “remote start canceled door open”.
My interpretation: The vehicle is actually sensing that you've got a door that's open. True or not.
My suggestion: Recheck all of your door connectors to make sure they're nicely tight and locked into place. After that, it may be an actual wiring/connection issue that a dealer could fairly easily discern.

OP
OP
somedude922

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@somedude922

Doors off not recently you say... Have the doors / any door, been off since the last time you sucessfully remote started your JL?
I don’t believe so.
@somedude922

No. Well, 99% sure. Lol. I was thinking a bent or broken pin. But I am pretty sure I have used the remote start since then.

OP
OP
somedude922

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My interpretation: The vehicle is actually sensing that you've got a door that's open. True or not.
My suggestion: Recheck all of your door connectors to make sure they're nicely tight and locked into place. After that, it may be an actual wiring/connection issue that a dealer could fairly easily discern.
It is under warranty, so a trip to the dealer will happen if I cant figure it out. I am going to pull the door harnesses and check tightness. Its weird that it doesn’t tell me I have a open door any other time. So it must be sensing that a door is “off”. But all the locks and windows work.

Sponsored

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
It is under warranty, so a trip to the dealer will happen if I cant figure it out. I am going to pull the door harnesses and check tightness. Its weird that it doesn’t tell me I have a open door any other time. So it must be sensing that a door is “off”. But all the locks and windows work.
Depending on build, a vehicle might have a simple wiring harness which provides digital I/O "open/close" type status. What I've found is that the more complex variants of the door harness will also use an analog signal (a particular voltage) as a secondary method of detecting an ajar door. Either one giving a wrong signal will thwart a remote start.

And either way, glad you're covered. My encouragement was just to check the big connector itself (where the door strap hooks onto) to make sure everything is nice and tight and latched.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@somedude922

Undoubtedly your issue is related to your connection(s) at the door harness(s). Disconnect all door harnesses and check for bents, etc.. Then hook up the door harnesses very carefully.

Nice and tight in regards to a harness connector means nada if you have a bent...

It is not unusual for a guy or gal to cause bents when reconnecting those harnesses if they use wrong technique... are in a hurry.

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
@somedude922
Nice and tight in regards to a harness connector means nada if you have a bent...
It is not unusual for a guy or gal to cause bents when reconnecting those harnesses if they use wrong technique... are in a hurry.
Hopefully not the case! But true, a possibility.

PS: I'd be interesting to see if the dash gives a picture showing WHICH door is in question here.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully not the case! But true, a possibility.

PS: I'd be interesting to see if the dash gives a picture showing WHICH door.
@jmccorm

Quite a few times in the last 3+ years in regard to this forum, we have had guy/gals with issues caused by bent connection points in regard to the door(s) harness.

It's very easy to cause a bent if you do not use real care when reconnecting the door(s) harness.

To remedy ..... More often then not if a guy/gal, detaches the door harnesses... straightens pins as needed and carefully reconnects then the issue is remedied.... until they bend them again...

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@somedude922

Let us know what the verdict is... Hopefully, your straightening a pin or 3 will remedy your issue.

Do take the time to read at this thread and to watch the video in that thread regarding door removal and harness attachment.. Also pointed out is how to deal with bent pins...
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/worry-about-pins-breaking-when-removing-doors.72168/

IF bent pin(s) is not your issue this time the info in that thread will be useful in preventing bent pins in the future..

Sponsored