Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t own a Flashcal and have never used one but is it possible that the choice selected is actually to disable remote start and not ESS ? Maybe the auto on/off is for remote start and not ESS but this is a guess on my part
Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
It might be the method of disabling ESS by setting one of the hood switches. Also deactivated remote start. I had the same issue with JScan.

OP
OP
Vinman

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I don’t own a Flashcal and have never used one but is it possible that the choice selected is actually to disable remote start and not ESS ? Maybe the auto on/off is for remote start and not ESS but this is a guess on my part
I don’t think so because after I disabled the start-stop the programmer told me to remove the hood switch in order to completely disable the start-stop. But pull the switch set off the dash light and it showed an error code.

But, I wonder if when the Flascal was programmed an error was made because in the selection menu it is identified as “Auto Start” and not ESS

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t think so because after I disabled the start-stop the programmer told me to remove the hood switch in order to completely disable the start-stop. But pull the switch set off the dash light and it showed an error code.

But, I wonder if when the Flascal was programmed an error was made because in the selection menu it is identified as “Auto Start” and not ESS
It was a guess on my part..

I use a Smart Stop/Start module for ESS and it’s been in place for close to two years and zero issues, it only does one thing but does it super well.

FishinEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Trent Lakes ON Canada (2 hours NE of Toronto)
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Financially Independent
**UPDATE DEC 19 2020**. I don't have a FlashCal, so that's not the problem with mine. Bought new 2450 batteries for the keyfobs, and installed them, checking the volts on each battery old & new. The old ones read 2.8 & 2.7 each with a voltmeter. That should be good, but replaced both anyway with the news ones, which read over 3 volts each. Tried the remote start with my main fob and it worked. Tried it a 2nd time and the remote worked again. But will not work after those 2 times. Tried by backup fob with the new battery and it did not work. Tried my old trick of touching the fob to the start button on the dash, then tried to remote start and it worked, but not a 2nd time. I dunno

Sponsored

FishinEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Trent Lakes ON Canada (2 hours NE of Toronto)
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Financially Independent
UPDATE FEB 20 2021. The problem seems to have gone away. Have been using the remote start for a while now. My guess is that the very low level of fuel in the tank that 1 time triggered the remote to not work, but it took a while for it to reset. I did try to force it to not work by letting the fuel level get very low again. The remote would not work with the low fuel level, but after filling up the fuel tank, and not letting it get lower than 1/8 full I've not had the problem - the remote start works everytime (good thing 'cause some nights lately it's reaching down to -30 C or lower).

OP
OP
Vinman

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
UPDATE FEB 20 2021. The problem seems to have gone away. Have been using the remote start for a while now. My guess is that the very low level of fuel in the tank that 1 time triggered the remote to not work, but it took a while for it to reset. I did try to force it to not work by letting the fuel level get very low again. The remote would not work with the low fuel level, but after filling up the fuel tank, and not letting it get lower than 1/8 full I've not had the problem - the remote start works everytime (good thing 'cause some nights lately it's reaching down to -30 C or lower).
The remote start on my Ram truck won’t work if the low fuel light is on

docwilson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I just figured it out
When using the Flashcal to attempt to disable the auto stop-start (It didn’t actually disable it) it disabled the remote start. After re-enabling the stop-start the remote start now works again. I haven’t had a chance to call Superchips tech support yet but will and see if they can figure things out.
Thanks, this solved my issue too!

Wooster

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
HVACR
It’s definitely a SuperChips FlashCal issue. No fault of the Jeep. When changing settings on your Jeep with FlashCal. namely the auto start-stop feature, it “kills” the ability to remotely start your Jeep. SuperChip needs to fix this issue. There’s no mention of it on their website.

Reactions: GtX

Sponsored

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
Same thing with Jscan. If you open the hood, there is a switch that disable the ESS so that the tech can run the engine without it shutting down. If you disable ESS with FlashCal or Jscan it is setting the hood switch to open with disables the remote start. Turned it off with the Jscan and remote start came back.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Same thing with Jscan. If you open the hood, there is a switch that disable the ESS so that the tech can run the engine without it shutting down. If you disable ESS with FlashCal or Jscan it is setting the hood switch to open with disables the remote start. Turned it off with the Jscan and remote start came back.
@Wooster
@Terpsmandan

Both Superchips and JSCAN are well aware of this and have known this for years.. Yes, for well over 2 yrs.... They/ Both, have no way to fix this so forget trying to deal with ESS with either JSCAN or a Flashcal.

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
One of the reasons I got a Tazer.

Ben from NY

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door 2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I literally made an account, just to come here and thank you. I too had the flashcal, and did the same thing, and never turned it back on. I've been struggling with this remote start thing since it first started getting cold, and was running out of ideas. Thank you again!
Sponsored