Sponsored

Remote Proximity Keyless Entry (GXD) vs Remote Keyless Entry (GXM)

BenDiem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 991.2TT; 23 EVO RWD
Occupation
US Gov’t Contractor & Gym Rat
Greetings all,

I’m on the final count down on ordering my new JL.
I noticed that there appears to be two Keyless Entries (KE).

On most JLs, with the exception of the base Sport & Willys, Remote KE (GXM) is standard. Remote Proximity KE (GXD) is a $645 option.

what am I missing here? What is the diff? Appears to be a waste of money, no? Is proximity KE worth $645?

Does the GXD offer keyless start?

TYIA/Cheers,
B
Sponsored

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
The remote keyless entry requires the key fob button be pushed to lock and unlock the door or the key. The remote proximity has a button on the door handle to lock and a sensor in the handle that picks up the key fob and unlocks when you reach your hand behind the handle to open the door. Key fob does not have to be touched.

dski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubi 4dr
Occupation
small business owner
only the fob has remote start. And I believe you have to have a fob (regular keyless entry) for the proximity to work? Not sure.

The proximity stuff has a lot of praise from youtubers....i don't have it currently but I can see the appeal.

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
They all have push button start. I ordered the Proximity sensor, apparently it unlocks automatically when you grab the door handle but it does not lock the door automatically. You have to lock the doors inside, with the button on the door or use the fob to lock the doors.

OP
OP
BenDiem

BenDiem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 991.2TT; 23 EVO RWD
Occupation
US Gov’t Contractor & Gym Rat
^^^ Gents, understood!
TY all for your response. Much appreciated!
I’m a minimalist when it comes to convenience/electrical options, so I’m going to cancel this option.

Best car/Jeep forum extant...

Tks again/best,
B

Sponsored

trainsafe

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0
FWIW, Mine didn’t come with the proximity locks and I missed that feature. My wife’s car has it and it really makes life easier. I ended up adding it myself (which involved buying the wiring harnesses and rewiring the three doors) for the same price as I could have ordered it new.

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
Even being a minimalist this option is worth getting from the factory and is worth the money.

DWS44

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Box: 2022 JLUR 392 + '17 C7 GS & '21 C8 Vettes
Occupation
CAD/IT Manager (Civil/Airport Design)
FWIW, Mine didn’t come with the proximity locks and I missed that feature. My wife’s car has it and it really makes life easier.
Even being a minimalist this option is worth getting from the factory and is worth the money.
Yeah...this is one that you don't really appreciate until you've had it and gotten used to it. It spoils you quickly!

iamstillvince

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler sport s
agree on getting it, i had it on my renegade but don't on my wrangler. 4 months later i still just grab the handle and pull sometimes, forgetting i need to use fob now. i miss it.

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
I know this has been on here and am failing with the search, so sorry to bring this thread to life.

is it true that the “proximity” aspect of this (ie just put your hand on the handle to open the door) was added to all models in 2022?

I’m specifically looking at a 2023 Willys 4xe and I don’t see that little button on the drivers handle to lock it, so makes me think it doesn’t have it. Is there and option code that adds it, if that is the case?

edit: I see in the latest order guide it looks like they renamed the GXD proximity package - 2-DOOR PASSIVE ENTRY, FRT DOOR LOCKS (GXD). I don't see it as being standard on the Willys 4xe and I also don't see it being available to add unless I've missed something. That is just strange but hopefully someone can confirm that.

thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited: