Hibypass

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Just came across this thread. A little late mind you... I purchased 2 new JL's this year and just looked at both, and guess what, BOTH overfilled and both have been driven more than 1000 miles since the change. AND, both receipts show 6 quarts used to change.

I wonder, what would dealership do if you showed up with a lawyer and a recording and asked for service managers reply to the situation? I think dealership should provide a FREE extended warranty for the mistake!!

Just my $.02...
Sponsored

GordonZoo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram ED
Occupation
Most Everything
I too am late to this thread. Looks like it's still happening. 6 quarts listed on my receipt and a way over the top dip stick after 300 miles of driving. Had to wait an hour to get a quart drained after getting there. Two hours wasted out of my day to save on a oil change is not worth it. I overheard the manager going into the shop saying to post a bulletin so it doesn't happen again. I will need to go next time as a tire rotation would take me a while to do so I will talk to the guy ahead of time to make sure it's 5. It's not the mechanic's fault the computer says 6 so I cant be upset at them.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@GordonZoo

Also, be very concerned about the service department doing your tire rotation.

DO clearly mark all your tires with chalk before you roll into the dealership. This way when they finish you know what they did... this way they know you are watching/concerned.

Let them know to include or not to include the spare.

Also, do take a quick pic of each wheel, ask the Service Writer to come out before the rotation and verify that each wheel doe not have damage.

Do check over your JL, carefully before you leave the dealership.

If there is an issue ask to speak to the Service Manager. Don't even bother dealing with the Service Writer, if something is wrong.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Just another data point, and maybe it's been said already.
My dealership showed 6 quarts on the receipt. So I checked the oil and it was slightly (maybe 1/8"?) above the top of the range on the dipstick.
I went in and asked and he said it takes 5.2 quarts (or something like that) so they have to put 6 on the bill but that they are aware of the difference with the JL and it should be correct.
After doing some research on slightly overfilled oil I concluded it's not worth messing with as there are no consequences unless there are several extra quarts.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@jmcdtucson

Regardless of the smoke the Service Writer or whomever blew up your arse, the 3.6L, JL takes 5 quarts..... Not 5.2 quarts but 5 quarts.

An overfill is an overfill. This is not debatable.

Sponsored

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
There has been a lot of talk about where the level should be on the new JL dipstick but nothing concrete.

Wouldn’t an overfilled engine show higher oil pressure at a set RPM than an engine filled with the correct volume at the same RPM?

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Costs less then $20 for a guy/gal to do their own oil change on a 3.6 JL. $20x4=$80

I

Please show us where you are buying 5 quarts of 0W20 synthetic and a quality oil filter for less than $20.

Just another data point, and maybe it's been said already.
My dealership showed 6 quarts on the receipt. So I checked the oil and it was slightly (maybe 1/8"?) above the top of the range on the dipstick.
I went in and asked and he said it takes 5.2 quarts (or something like that) so they have to put 6 on the bill but that they are aware of the difference with the JL and it should be correct.
After doing some research on slightly overfilled oil I concluded it's not worth messing with as there are no consequences unless there are several extra quarts.
As mentioned in post #80, the same engine in the Gladiator is listed at 5.7 quarts. We haven't been able to compare part numbers yet to see if the oil pans are indeed different. If the oil pans are the same part number between Gladiator and Wrangler, it's going to really add more fuel to this fire.

For now, I'd do 5 quarts exactly on Wrangler JL and maintain the level in the hatched area of the dipstick. That way any warranty issues that arise can be referred back to the owners manual.

LeaN69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR 4xe / 23 Bolt EUV / 22 Camaro SS 1LE
Please show us where you are buying 5 quarts of 0W20 synthetic and a quality oil filter for less than $20.
Penzoil Platinum 0w-20 (OE Recommended) - $22.68 - $10 mail in rebate = $12.68
MO-349 (OE Filter) walmart or amazon price varies - $9 average
Total $21.68

Thats todays price, previously I've seen both oil and filter cheaper which did put it under $20.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
There has been a lot of talk about where the level should be on the new JL dipstick but nothing concrete.

Wouldn’t an overfilled engine show higher oil pressure at a set RPM than an engine filled with the correct volume at the same RPM?
No. Oil quantity has little to nothing to do with oil pressure.

Reactions: KDB

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
No. Oil quantity has little to nothing to do with oil pressure.
@Torero, Thanks for the reply.

I assumed that too much oil would cause higher pressure in a closed system so was hoping that, if so, it would be another way to tell if your motor was overfilled. I’ve seen other post of yours and trust your knowledge on these matters. Thanks again for the clarifier, much appreciated :like:

Sponsored

Ralph2018JL

First Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At the dealer now waiting for the extra quart to be drained - or to have the oil change redone - not sure which they will do.

And this is after I told the service writer it took 5 quarts of 0w20. Apparently no one got the message. No one I mentioned it to was aware of the 5 quart capacity.

This was my first service with Jeep Wave. They also rotated the tires incorrectly. I’ll be going to America’s Tires to get that sorted out.

I look forward to going to the dealer about as much as going to the dentist.
This is why I change my own oil and rotate my own tires, Jeep Wave or not. :like:

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
@Torero, Thanks for the reply.

I assumed that too much oil would cause higher pressure in a closed system so was hoping that, if so, it would be another way to tell if your motor was overfilled. I’ve seen other post of yours and trust your knowledge on these matters. Thanks again for the clarifier, much appreciated :like:
@KDB excess of oil will increase the the blow by pressure, meaning the gases inside the engine, which normally is not information readily available on the instrument panel. But excessive gas pressure causes problems with gaskets and retaining rings. The real problem is when the level gets too high to the point that the crank shaft gets in contact with the oil in the oil pan like paddling on it. It will make the oil look like a beaten egg full of bubbles. Those bubbles circulating on the oil greatly Diminish the lubricating properties of the oil and produce a lot of gas.
On the other hand, The oil pressure is build by the small tolerance between bearings and shafts (i.e. crank shaft) the oil is forced between the two surfaces and the resistance builds up the pressure. The oil pump speed is directly proportion al to the rpm of the engine, so the faster it rotates the more oil it tries to pump between bearing and shaft then the resulting higher pressure at higher rpm. If there is air in the oil, the pressure will actually get lower because air compresses and liquids don’t. Too much bla bla, lol.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@WXman

@LeaN69 , knows the drill. With rebate we pay $20-21... and occasionally less.

I buy both the Penzoil Platinum and OEM filter at Amazon.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Penzoil Platinum 0w-20 (OE Recommended) - $22.68 - $10 mail in rebate = $12.68
MO-349 (OE Filter) walmart or amazon price varies - $9 average
Total $21.68

Thats todays price, previously I've seen both oil and filter cheaper which did put it under $20.
I've been buying and stocking up on Pennz Platinum for several years now, you used to be able to buy (4) 5qt. jugs per rebate cycle, but it's now down to 2 so you might have to find a friend or two that doesn't DIY their oil and have them help with stocking lol.
Don't think I've paid over $15/jug in about 5 years :)

Eloib

First Name
Eloi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I just got overfilled now. I checked receipt immediately and I am having them drain the extra qt.

This is after I told them multiple times to make sure to fill 5qts only. Additionally, they couldn’t even prop my hood open - I have after market locking hood latches that I left unlocked. They couldn’t even pull the hood latches unlocked. Fucking nuts... yikes. This is at the Rochester Hills Jeep dealership.
Sponsored