Reminder: 5 quarts of oil to avoid oil overfill

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
2.0L:
Checked oil level at 3K miles. Was a bit above hash marks on dipstick.
Drained and installed new filter, added 4 qts, Started it for a minute and backed up off of ramps to get on level ground.
After sitting a few minutes checked oil level to get a quart low ref level.
Oil was a little above the bottom of the hash marks (safe area). Added the fifth Qt and let it set a few.
Checked dip stick again. Level was above the hash marks a bit where it was before oil change.

If its above the mark a little doesn't necessarily mean its over filled. The dipstick is just not exact.

My Dodge Challenger 5.7 V8 required 6 qts. It was the same in that when full the level was above the markings on the dipstick. Seems this is normal for FCA.
Sponsored

JDR

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
This just happened to me as well! I brought in my 2018 JLU with about 5,000 miles to the Koons Tysons dealership in Vienna, VA on Friday. The paperwork said 6 quarts. I called the service advisor and questioned this and he said the oil comes in cases of six which is why it says that on the paperwork. I've never heard of oil being sold at a dealership in increments of six quarts. I just drained the oil and confirmed there was six quarts in there.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
For those of you that are really UPSET ABOUT 6/5 QTS of oil !

FAGETABOUTIT-

Or sell the jeep and move to a different forum------

Now if you're unhappy about my comment----good, cause I'm sick of hearing about 6/5 qts of oil almost EVERY DAY 1

W.E.

JIMBO

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@JIMBOX

I would not forget about it, if 6 qts. went in, instead of 5. Really Jim, would you.. 8-)

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED
YUP, if the dealer put in 6qts--that's fine--if there's any damage, I've always got the receipt/w description of ALL ACTION-and will have that as my legal foothold--

JIMBO

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@JIMBOX Well, normally I see eye to eye with you but not on this one.

Moot point for me... as I would not let the dealer change the oil on my vehicle .... even if it was a freebe.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED
Well, I understand--here's some background--I've been mainly Chrysler all my life and up untill13 years ago--

Besides doing all suspension/brake/tranny/body/fender work myself--I had a 1962 Dodge POWER WAGON from my hometown in Ca. and --

I changed the diff gearing/brakes, did a 3" lift and ran 38" BFGs--I let the town dealer change the oil in the first 6,000 miles--I had everything written on the receipt 5qts oil MOPAR filter and multistep maintenance check--I even had the lift checked for warranty imposition--

Everything was AOK--drove from East Bay Ca to Novato on hiwy 37--BAM-engine blew in the middle of the salt flats--I looked at the 318 CI pan--no drain plug/no oil--

After 6 months of Contact/meetings with the Dodge area rep/dealer owner/my attorney---I got all expenses repaid/new engine/torque converter and 1 ea mechanic FIRED--

I had the exact time of completion/actions taken/amount of oil installed and my RELEASE/COMPLETION SIGNATURE--RECEIPT/RECEIPT/RECEIPT--

Now on this JLR which was as I said the pick of the litter I do all the work on everything--except--oil change/recalls/TSB--and all are backed up with complete signed RECEIPTS--

The AUX SW'S are still out and I'll have the dealer check/fix when I go in to have the engine oil changed to MOPAR SYNTHETIC--

That will be in March-2019--In my Fords/Chrysler/Nissan/Dodge 4x4's I have the oil changed ONCE A YEAR--and always use SYNTHETIC-OBVIOUSLY I never interfere with the dealers oil treatments/amount--

Can ya digit ??

JIMBO

Last edited:

brewskisteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2001 Ford F350 4x4 crew cab 7.3L diesel
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So I just found this thread and decided to check my JL's oil which I bought new at the end of November. Sure enough the oil is above the AA mark in the 6 Qt. range. This is from the dealer and I have 2100 miles on it now. Guess I will be draining some oil in the morning. Really sucks that FCA seems to have numerous issues with the Wrangler and they do NOTHING! Very disappointed to say the least.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
Well, I understand--here's some background--I've been mainly Chrysler all my life and up untill13 years ago--

Besides doing all suspension/brake/tranny/body/fender work myself--I had a 1962 Dodge POWER WAGON from my hometown in Ca. and --

I changed the diff gearing/brakes, did a 3" lift and ran 38" BFGs--I let the town dealer change the oil in the first 6,000 miles--I had everything written on the receipt 5qts oil MOPAR filter and multistep maintenance check--I even had the lift checked for warranty imposition--

Everything was AOK--drove from East Bay Ca to Novato on hiwy 37--BAM-engine blew in the middle of the salt flats--I looked at the 318 CI pan--no drain plug/no oil--

After 6 months of Contact/meetings with the Dodge area rep/dealer owner/my attorney---I got all expenses repaid/new engine/torque converter and 1 ea mechanic FIRED--

I had the exact time of completion/actions taken/amount of oil installed and my RELEASE/COMPLETION SIGNATURE--RECEIPT/RECEIPT/RECEIPT--

Now on this JLR which was as I said the pick of the litter I do all the work on everything--except--oil change/recalls/TBS--and all are backed up with complete signed RECEIPTS--

The AUX SW'S are still out and I'll have the dealer check/fix when I go in to have the engine oil changed to MOPAR SYNTHETIC--

That will be in March-2019--In my Fords/Chrysler/Nissan/Dodge 4x4's I have the oil changed ONCE A YEAR--and always use SYNTHETIC-OBVIOUSLY I never interfere with the dealers oil treatments/amount--

Can ya digit ??

JIMBO
Seems like you spent a lot of extra time trying to correct the situation. I would rather be proactive than reactive. That’s why I don’t let the dealership touch my stuff unless absolutely necessary.

Patinito

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MOAB "Saharacon"
Occupation
SysAdmin
Vehicle Showcase
I am currently at Dadeland Chrysler in Miami Florida I got into an argument with the mechanic because i told him the new Jeeps with the 3.6 v6 only take 5 quarts of oil and the older ones take 6. He told me that’s not true and i even showed him the manual and still argued with me. They put 6 even after that and i had to get the manager to pull up the specs and they saw that i was right. They THEN drained a quart out. @JeepCares they said that their tech manuals still show 6 quarts for the 3.6 v6. Apparently I was the first person to bring it up at this particular dealership and now they said they’re going to change the procedure. How many JL’s have run through that maintenance bay with 6 quarts of oil. Anyone getting an oil change use the image below to show them it is only 5 quarts.

4F780D2D-5DE5-4B21-B57B-330B38BA8678.jpeg

Sponsored

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am currently at Dadeland Chrysler in Miami Florida I got into an argument with the mechanic because i told him the new Jeeps with the 3.6 v6 only take 5 quarts of oil and the older ones take 6. He told me that’s not true and i even showed him the manual and still argued with me. They put 6 even after that and i had to get the manager to pull up the specs and they saw that i was right. They THEN drained a quart out. @JeepCares they said that their tech manuals still show 6 quarts for the 3.6 v6. Apparently I was the first person to bring it up at this particular dealership and now they said they’re going to change the procedure. How many JL’s have run through that maintenance bay with 6 quarts of oil. Anyone getting an oil change use the image below to show them it is only 5 quarts.

4F780D2D-5DE5-4B21-B57B-330B38BA8678.jpeg
I pointed this out to JeepCares months ago and it seems like they either give two poops about it or they don’t have the authority or ability to change the procedure.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I pointed this out to JeepCares months ago and it seems like they either give two poops about it or they don’t have the authority or ability to change the procedure.
All they can do is bark it up the chain. I'm sure they are doing that everytime a customer experiences and reports it. Corporate will notice this, if they haven't already. The good news is that some dealers do it right. Mine had no trouble with the TSB on the Off Road Pages, while some dealers out there appear to be floundering with it. Remember this. FCA doesn't own the dealerships and that makes these things more difficult because of the tremendous diversity of practices. They've had Pentastars for years and years with 6 quarts. The change comes along and people are set in their ways. I think FCA's error was in not prepping them properly before this engine hit the market. The good news is that I seriously doubt 6 quarts will cause harm. 7 or 8, yes, but not 6. There is a margin of error because consumers can be as ignorant, or even moreso, than dealer techs with this kind of thing. I guarantee you that if it started resulting in warranty claims, the red alert at corporate would be sounded.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All they can do is bark it up the chain. I'm sure they are doing that everytime a customer experiences and reports it. Corporate will notice this, if they haven't already. The good news is that some dealers do it right. Mine had no trouble with the TSB on the Off Road Pages, while some dealers out there appear to be floundering with it. Remember this. FCA doesn't own the dealerships and that makes these things more difficult because of the tremendous diversity of practices. They've had Pentastars for years and years with 6 quarts. The change comes along and people are set in their ways. I think FCA's error was in not prepping them properly before this engine hit the market. The good news is that I seriously doubt 6 quarts will cause harm. 7 or 8, yes, but not 6. There is a margin of error because consumers can be as ignorant, or even moreso, than dealer techs with this kind of thing. I guarantee you that if it started resulting in warranty claims, the red alert at corporate would be sounded.
Yes, it is an internal systems issue for sure. Maybe this is why FCA lacks in quality control. Simple fix, Baldrige FCA, Baldrige.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, it is an internal systems issue for sure. Maybe this is why FCA lacks in quality control. Simple fix, Baldrige FCA, Baldrige.
Maybe. My Jeep has been better than my Ford in the quality department, though. Far better.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe. My Jeep has been better than my Ford in the quality department, though. Far better.
When compared to my 2014 Mustang, my wrangler is much better. I remember on my Mustang, there was a metal shaving the size of a clipped toenail by the rear window sill and they just painted over the top of it. Lol. Craziness!
Sponsored