Sponsored

Reminder: 5 quarts of oil to avoid oil overfill

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
First oil change today, drove an hour home . I always like to pop the hood when its home in the garage and help the engine cool on these hot summer days and look around after a service. Well first notable thing is the dipstick looks a tad out of place !!!! About 18” And a little spillage around the fill cap. So much for trying out my Jeep wave free oil changes. After it cools in the am I’ll check the oil level. Dealer paperwork says 6 qts . I’m hoping the tech left the dipstick loose and not that it’s so overfilled that the oil pressure popped it up that high.
Either way time to go back to doing my own oil changes.
( that’s really how I found the dipstick. I wish I was kidding)

E73B8845-B1F0-47FC-8457-2AFBA66F3222.png

0FA7CDA5-7628-4B0F-A415-1F37808FBBA1.jpeg
Did you have 5 quarts written on your oil cap and they still put in 6 quarts or is that a picture of someone else's oil cap?
Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Did you have 5 quarts written on your oil cap and they still put in 6 quarts or is that a picture of someone else's oil cap?
The problem is they don't read. They go on what they knew prior. Jeeps get 6 liters and therefore that is what they do. Even across a different engine type.....

moonpup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I had my second oil change done back on June 12th and the paperwork said quantity 5 for oil, but I just checked my dipstick and the oil is up and over onto the cable :mad:. Guess I'll have to drain some... or go back and make the dealer do it.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
The dipstick must have accidentally got caught on the workers sleeve or maybe his nose ring , because obviously they didn’t use it to check the oil. Someone would have realized it was overfilled.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
I had my second oil change done back on June 12th and the paperwork said quantity 5 for oil, but I just checked my dipstick and the oil is up and over onto the cable :mad:. Guess I'll have to drain some... or go back and make the dealer do it.
Smart for actually checking the oil not just the invoice, well done ! It’s been my fear that if people keep on complaining they won’t actually fix the problem by putting in the correct amount, they’ll just fix the paperwork to say 5 and shut people up and keep putting in 6 anyways.

Sponsored

VerservJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sportaharacon
So I don't know if this has been mentioned before. I had my first oil change and asked the dealership why they did 6 quarts instead of 5 shown in the manual. I received a very reasonable response. They said the the 3.6 needs about 5.5 quarts, but the manual says 5 to keep people from over filling. They filled mine with about 5.5 and tossed the remainder as they had to bill 6 since it was opened. Seems sensible but who knows for sure.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
So I don't know if this has been mentioned before. I had my first oil change and asked the dealership why they did 6 quarts instead of 5 shown in the manual. I received a very reasonable response. They said the the 3.6 needs about 5.5 quarts, but the manual says 5 to keep people from over filling. They filled mine with about 5.5 and tossed the remainder as they had to bill 6 since it was opened. Seems sensible but who knows for sure.
Ask the dealership how many liters they would put in. Hint, it’s 4.73. Did Jeep specifically pick 4.73 liters to make sure that all those pesky European auto owners don’t put in 4.75 liters?

I think that Your dealership is full of crap. Write to FCA. Tell them the name of the dealership, the name of the person who told you this and ask if you could get on a conference call with Jeep and this dealership and see what is discussed.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
If you properly measure it, 5 quarts is exactly what it takes. I've done 4 oil changes so far, and a single 5 quart jug is spot on.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
If you properly measure it, 5 quarts is exactly what it takes. I've done 4 oil changes so far, and a single 5 quart jug is spot on.
Me too, but I've only done 2.

moonpup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Smart for actually checking the oil not just the invoice, well done ! It’s been my fear that if people keep on complaining they won’t actually fix the problem by putting in the correct amount, they’ll just fix the paperwork to say 5 and shut people up and keep putting in 6 anyways.
True dat! Anyway, I drained just over a quart out of my Jeep this morning... what a bunch of knuckleheads :swear:

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Make sure you are checking oil 1. When the engine has reached full operating temperature. 2. On level ground. 3. 5 minutes after engine shutdown. If you check a cold engine, or a warm engine right after shutoff, you WILL see a different level. (Not to the extreme that @XLMOJITO shows, though. That one is clearly WAY overfilled.)

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Make sure you are checking oil 1. When the engine has reached full operating temperature. 2. On level ground. 3. 5 minutes after engine shutdown. If you check a cold engine, or a warm engine right after shutoff, you WILL see a different level. (Not to the extreme that @XLMOJITO shows, though. That one is clearly WAY overfilled.)
Also, check your service invoice. Especially note when it says quantity 6.

Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 1.53.51 PM.png

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
After reading this thread, I’m going to call dealers BEFORE I go in for my first oil change and go to the one that says 5. Then after the change I’m going to double check the level and the invoice, right then and there on the lot.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Jeep’s disappointed I’m doing my own maintenance and not using there “Specially trained technicians” lol

14F6E0A5-21FA-4EA6-8826-A5D1BACDF44C.jpeg

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep’s disappointed I’m doing my own maintenance and not using there “Specially trained technicians” lol

14F6E0A5-21FA-4EA6-8826-A5D1BACDF44C.jpeg
They have a particular set of skills...
Sponsored