Reminder: 5 quarts of oil to avoid oil overfill

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Thanks to @Rhinebeck01 for reminding me about this.

The JL models of the Wrangler have the PUG (Pentastar Up-Grade) engine, as we all know. One of the many changes to this version is a decrease in oil pan capacity. Hence, the Wrangler now requires FIVE quarts of engine oil, not six and a half like 2012-2018 JK models.

I knew this all along, but I totally forgot that the service department at my dealership may not know it. Dealerships handle so much product that sometimes they aren't aware of changes and updates until some time has passed.

I had gotten my oil changed for free under the Jeep Wave Program last Friday, a week ago today. I never checked to see how much they put in, assuming they knew what they were doing. You know what they say about assuming!

So today I checked my paperwork. Yep, 6 quarts instead of 5. Pulled my dipstick. Yep, way above the "max" line on the stick!

Make sure that you remember the new requirement when you do oil changes. And if you have a shop do yours for you, remind them! Running too much oil is bad for seals and crankcase pressures.

View attachment 86513

20180907_121010[1].jpg
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@WXman

Since I posted the post about watching out for oil overfill at the dealer, you are the 22 JL owner, (unless I have slightly mis-counted) that has commented on the forum, that their dealership service department, indeed put 6 qts. into their JL versus the 5 it was supposed to get...

To repeat:

Just be sure to mention to the Service Writer to note your work order that only 5 qts. of oil are to be used!

.....Then when they hand you your receipt, look to see how many quarts the receipt says was added. IF it says 6 qts. you need to check your dipstick before leaving to see if they overfilled your vehicle. If it is overfilled get it corrected then and there.

More then 21 forum member's so far have had the dealership put 6 qts in. Their oil monkeys are treating the JL like it is a JK.

DO, familiarize yourself with where on the dipstick the oil mark is when you have a proper 5 qt. fill. You could even take a pic.

You could use the pic to show the Service Manager so that he could see that the dip stick reading with 5 qts. is way different then your reading after they screwed up and added 6 qts.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Yeah, that could be a problem----so

I'll just provide the 5qt container of PENNZOIL SYNTHETIC/W orders to use--JUST THAT and THE MOPAR FILTER-but-

I've gotta long time before that happens !

W.E.

JIMBO

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
I normally always do my own service. The only reason I'm going to the dealership is because I have 3 more full synthetic oil changes I can use for free, and so that the service records are in their computer system during warranty period, just in case any engine issues arise like some folks have had. I know this is not a requirement, but it makes life easier.

As soon as that last free oil change is used, I will revert to doing all my service myself. In the meantime, I have to remember to check and verify how much oil they are using at the dealership!

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Going to get the free ones as well, so good reminder on the oil requirements.

Better than the 8 quarts for my last vehicle!

Sponsored

TJ01

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler JLUR
Got first oil change says 5qts on paper work, but looks high on dip stick.... anyone got any input?

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Got first oil change says 5qts on paper work, but looks high on dip stick.... anyone got any input?
If it's above the "max" mark on the stick then ideally you should drain out just a little. Mine was up onto the round wire portion of the stick, well above the area of measurement.

If it was like my wife's 4-cylinder, I wouldn't worry about it because that engine burns oil at such an alarming rate that the level would return to normal on its own in a few days. But the V6 doesn't seem to burn any oil at all, so it's best to drain a little out and get it inside the spec on the stick.

They likely did the paperwork with default values for JL listed, but actually used JK specs when they did the work. Next time you're there, remind them about the 5 quart spec.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Mine to was over filled by dealer and wrong type of oil, I was making a post on another subject and posted up a pic of the service ticket for a steering issue and the oil change work was done on the same visit and a member here pointed it out and to be honest I more than likely would have no noticed it, seems they confuse the JL with the JK

Pegasus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Thanks for posting this. Caught the six quarts fill instead of five at the dealer today. They checked and then tried to tell me the extra quart was OK. Had to tell them to remove it which they did reluctantly while making me wait another 30 minutes.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8-) We need to find a vendor that can come up with a neck ring of sorts that can be placed on the neck of the oil fill pipe... a labeled ring that says...
5 qts. Only

For those that do not do their own oil changes.

Sponsored

cgpratt

First Name
tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 jk sahara, 18 sport s jl
just had my first oil change. even after telling them 5 quarts they still over filled!!! service manager had another mechanic check and confirmed over fill. They drained the extra out. They also said they rotated the tires but lied, its easy to tell when the spare is brand new!! but thats another story.

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
To be fair, overfilling the sump by a quart isn't going to cause immediate harm to the engine. So no need to panic. But, it is something you want to make sure doesn't happen in the future because excessive crankcase pressure isn't a good thing for seals, etc. And, added windage can reduce power and fuel economy and also can in some cases slightly increase engine temperature.

I think the issue is that Wrangler changes so little from model to model that most dealership technicians just look at it and assume it's the same 3.6 that they've seen since 2012. There is nothing that calls out the fact that this may be a different engine. Eventually, they'll all catch up.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To be fair, overfilling the sump by a quart isn't going to cause immediate harm to the engine. So no need to panic. But, it is something you want to make sure doesn't happen in the future because excessive crankcase pressure isn't a good thing for seals, etc. And, added windage can reduce power and fuel economy and also can in some cases slightly increase engine temperature.
It is something you do not want to have happen or allow period. CHECK FOR OVERFILL before you drive away from the dealership. IF they overfill, have them remedy right then and there.

I understand why this overfill is happening.... I suggest being pro-active so an overfill does not happen.

IF I were having someone doing my oil change, I would be talking to he or she just before the deed, to see if they know that indeed, my JL took 5 quarts and not 6.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They also said they rotated the tires but lied, its easy to tell when the spare is brand new!! but thats another story.
In pasts posts here, I have mentioned a way that will get the dealer doing the tire rotation the way YOU want it..

Just prior to your service department / Tire shop, appointment, use a piece of white chalk to clearly mark each tire....

Spare
LF
RF
LR
RR

Now, when you go to your appointment, you tell the Service Writer that you have clearly marked each tire and that this should be mentioned to the employee doing the rotation.... Hand the Service Writer a piece of paper with a clear diagram that represents how you want your tires rotated.

Tell the Service Writer you have also hung a note on the steering wheel with the diagram and a note that says tires are marked for their convenience, etc..

Have the Service Writer go out to the vehicle with you and check each wheel to verify that in fact there is no existing wheel damage.

Tell the Service Writer that you do not want an impact gun used on the lug nuts and if he will not agree to this and mark your Service Order with this info that you wish to speak to the Service Manager..

Also, ask to speak to the employee that will do the rotation. When you speak with the employee, introduce yourself to him and tell him you am very anal lets say about your vehicle and am very concerned about wheel nicks, scratches.

Tell him do not use an impact gun on my lug nuts.

Mention you left a note and you want the rotation a specific way. Tell him thanks and then hand him a $20 tip. He says thanks and with a smile he walks away.

For the record, employees at that shop will see you in different ways... They may appreciate that you are a guy that takes care and pride in their vehicle, they may see you as a pain in the ass or whatever... but .... you can be as sure as hell that they know you will scream bloody murder if there is damage or they don't do the rotation your way. They will be very careful with your vehicle..

IF, they resists to any of what I mentioned above, walk, find a different shop.

Oh, at least the guy that got the $20 thinks you are a real nice guy.. 8-) Also, you got the rotation like you wanted and no damage to your JL..

Note: I also am known (and let them know upfront) to write a letter to a shop OWNER after a service visit. I praise very highly and single out the employee(s) that did a fine job. I condemn the one(s) that frigggg up and or are AH's. Employees remember this when you go there the next time..
Sponsored