First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Does this design engineer have a name?
He does. And he is a friend. And he does not wish that to be revealed. That way he can keep answering questions and offering help where he can.
Sponsored

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Regardless, any dealer adding 6 quarters into a JL in 2021, 3 years after the JL was introduced, should be spanked $500,00 by FCA corporate and forced to implement mandatory training for all Techs at the dealership at the dealer’s cost.
Agree, but how much more training does a dealership mechanic need to figure out how to read a f'ing dipstick though?

Out of countless oil changes on my current car, somehow I only had one service tech manage to overfill my oil by a quart where a quick glance at the dipstick would've made this obvious regardless of whether or not they were able to fully flush out the oil cooler. Service manager said "it's fine, as long as it's not low" =/

openingshok

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Grand Cherokee Limited X | 2024 JLUR 2.0T AT
Occupation
Headshot Photographer
Does the 2021 grand Cherokee have a different engine than the 2021 JL? My wife’s GC is the 3.6 and it does in fact require 6 qts.

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Rubi
Well, add me to the list. The dealer clearly, obviously, no-question, overfilled the engine.

So, I'll drain it and add the proper amount myself. I'll call the dealer and complain to the service manage.

The only question is: do I go back for the remainder of my free oil changes? Ridiculous.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
429 Posts - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/reminder-5-quarts-of-oil-to-avoid-oil-overfill.14789/

168 Posts - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...r-5-minutes-over-maximum-quarts-of-oil.28444/

104 Posts - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...5-vs-6-quarts-not-a-repeat-thread-look.35886/

96 Posts - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...put-in-6-or-5-quarts-of-oil-in-your-jl.35502/

16 Posts - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/changing-oil-at-the-dealership-5-or-6-qt.41625/

And there are several other threads about overfilling with 6 quarts.

I just found out the oil pan seal ruptured in my JLUR because the Jeep dealerships are STILL putting in 6 quarts of oil instead of 5. Luckily I bought the extended warranty.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Working on the 4th year now that this thread has been alive. Could be a record for me! :rock:

johnbyron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S
Do you want to guess if dealers are still putting 6 quarts in in 2022? You guessed correctly! And this is one of the highest-rated dealers in the area...

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Working on the 4th year now that this thread has been alive. Could be a record for me! :rock:
It’s right up there with “push your fuses in harder” as some of the top imaginary problems of the JL.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
With 6 qts of oil, does the oil pressure gauge show higher (or lower?) pressure?
Not sure if oil pressure would be lower or not with underfill, but foaming/aeration resulting from overfill will lower the oil pressure.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
Do you want to guess if dealers are still putting 6 quarts in in 2022? You guessed correctly! And this is one of the highest-rated dealers in the area...
It’s so easy to change, I don’t know why anyone wastes time taking it to the dealer.🤷‍♂️

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
It’s so easy to change, I don’t know why anyone wastes time taking it to the dealer.🤷‍♂️
maybe they live in an apartment, have no garage, there’s a foot of snow on the ground. Maybe they just don’t have time or care to deal with used oil reclamation. Maybe they don’t even own a screwdriver. Many younger people can’t screw in a lightbulb now days lol. I can see why they wouldn't want to deal with it.

The dealership monkeys will never and have never touched one of my vehicles for anything other than warranty work. I would suggest they find a reputable local automotive shop and use them instead for preventative maintenance.

Last edited:

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Everything will be fine.

1646404581790.png
Sounds like this is only if you have the RIPP supercharger........would love to see what @DanW has to say about this as his knowledge of the oil on the JL is legendary :like:.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Sounds like this is only if you have the RIPP supercharger........would love to see what @DanW has to say about this as his knowledge of the oil on the JL is legendary :like:.
The blower is a self contained unit. The engine and blower are not tied together in any way other than the belt and boost.

Being a quart over is not going to hurt anything. These engines are designed with a decently wide tolerance for oil capacity.

RIPP wants 6 quarts in there and a lower oil change interval because of the blow by and oil consumption through the PCV system (Catch can).

The dealer filling the Jeep up with 6 quarts is wrong per the published data, however, it's not detrimental to anything to be over by a quart. I'd rather be over than under, but the Jeep will tolerate it without issue. The windage tray and all that was redone to save weight. If anything, this should just tell you that the JK was designed to run a quart low without issue, as well. It's not worth my time to complain about the dealership in regards to 6 vs 5 quarts. I'll be running 6 quarts in my 3.6 and be happy. Lol

I've added my two cents. Lol. Carry on.
Sponsored