Sponsored

Reminder: 5 quarts of oil to avoid oil overfill

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
My dealer put in six quarts. Called them and told them it’s supposed to be 5 per manual, and they said 5 doesn’t fill it to the line on the dipstick so they have to put 6 quarts in. Is this BS or what?
@blackJLURubi

Whomever you spoke with at the stealership is full of chitt. You should go in and ask to talk to the Service Manager ... and not talk to some asshat over the phone...

Your JL takes 5 qts of oil..

From FCA press release when they introduced the 2nd Gen Pentastar...

"Windage-tray weight was slashed by 19 percent and front-cover weight was cut by 5 percent. *The oil pan was redesigned from a two-piece to a single-piece pan and
the sump was reduced from a 6-quart fill to a 5-quart fill *– resulting in an overall 5-pound weight savings compared with the previous generation Pentastar V-6 engine."

From the Owner's Manual:
Jeep Wrangler JL Reminder: 5 quarts of oil to avoid oil overfill oil

Sponsored

blackJLURubi

First Name
Carson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
@blackJLURubi

Whomever you spoke with at the stealership is full of chitt. You should go in and ask to talk to the Service Manager ... and not talk to some asshat over the phone...

Your JL takes 5 qts of oil..

From FCA press release when they introduced the 2nd Gen Pentastar...

"Windage-tray weight was slashed by 19 percent and front-cover weight was cut by 5 percent. *The oil pan was redesigned from a two-piece to a single-piece pan and the sump was reduced from a 6-quart fill to a 5-quart fill *– resulting in an overall 5-pound weight savings compared with the previous generation Pentastar V-6 engine."

From the Owner's Manual:
Jeep Wrangler JL Reminder: 5 quarts of oil to avoid oil overfill oil

I’m definitely going to talk about this with them. They also said “we put 6 in all of them”

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
Going to check it tomorrow for sure.
Cool.. my experience is it will look low when you first put in 5qts and run it so it does take a few minutes for it to come up to the full mark with 5qts on a level surface after turning off. If they put in 6qts it will be obviously overfull.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
And again, while you want the proper 5 quarts in it, all Jeep engines are designed to pass all company tests either 1 quart low or 1 quart overfilled. So get on them, but don't lose sleep worrying your engine will be damaged. It will not.

Sponsored

blackJLURubi

First Name
Carson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
And again, while you want the proper 5 quarts in it, all Jeep engines are designed to pass all company tests either 1 quart low or 1 quart overfilled. So get on them, but don't lose sleep worrying your engine will be damaged. It will not.
thank you

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
thank you
That came straight from one of the designers of the original Pentastar, who is still a powertrain engineer at Stellantis, so the source is rock solid.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@DanW

But Dan ...... would you run your JL, intentionally with either 4 or 6 quarts... Would you put 4 or 6 and in and feel right about it.... I already know the answer..

Plain and simple the JL is supposed to get 5 qts...

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@DanW

But Dan ...... would you run your JL, intentionally with either 4 or 6 quarts... Would you put 4 or 6 and in and feel right about it.... I already know the answer..

Plain and simple the JL is supposed to get 5 qts...

Yep, you are right. But hopefully it eases any worry and stress about damaging the engine. I'd take it back and make them do it again, but wouldn't be nervous about driving it.

But I will say this. I'd rather have 6 quarts in it than 4. Lol.

blackJLURubi

First Name
Carson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Checked the oil level and it’s obvious it’s overfilled. It comes above the start of the wire on the stick. Trying to decide if I should just leave it or go back and make them fix it.

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Yep, you are right. But hopefully it eases any worry and stress about damaging the engine. I'd take it back and make them do it again, but wouldn't be nervous about driving it.

But I will say this. I'd rather have 6 quarts in it than 4. Lol.
Thank you for your post and I have no reason to doubt you. But….. when the manual says this:

“Overfilling or underfilling the crankcase will cause aeration or loss of oil pressure. This could damage your engine.”

it does tend to imply that an overfill/underfill of one quart “could cause damage.” Glad to hear that while it should be correctly expeditiously, it probably won’t cause damage.

Regardless, any dealer adding 6 quarters into a JL in 2021, 3 years after the JL was introduced, should be spanked $500,00 by FCA corporate and forced to implement mandatory training for all Techs at the dealership at the dealer’s cost. Zero sympathy for utter managerial incompetence.

Last edited:
Reactions: AFD

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for your post and I have no reason to doubt you. But….. when the manual says this:

“Overfilling or underfilling the crankcase will cause aeration or loss of oil pressure. This could damage your engine.”

it does tend to imply that an overfill/underfill of one quart “could cause damage.”

Regardless, and dealer willing 6 quarters in a JL in 2021, 3 years after the JL was introduced, should be spanked $500,00 by FCA corporate and forced to implement mandatory training for all Techs at the dealership at the dealer’s cost. Zero sympathy for utter managerial incompetence.

I know what the manual says, and it is right. But I don't see where you pick up an implication that one quart does it. I don't see that there, at all. It is not specific in any way.

But consider this. First, one of the Pentastar's design engineers said the company's standard is to allow for 1 quart leeway, either way. It is reasonable to assume that there is a safety margin. Now you know exactly what it is.

On top of that, look at how many dealerships are overfilling these things just for forum members. Imagine how many are getting 6 quarts where the owner never checks or never knows. Yet do we see a bunch of threads describing damage from overfill? No. And believe me, you would if 6 quarts was damaging.

So you will overfilling potentially cause damage? Sure, but it will have to be beyond 6 quarts. And it is entirely prudent for the owner's manual to warn about it.

rent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
With 6 qts of oil, does the oil pressure gauge show higher (or lower?) pressure?

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
First, one of the Pentastar's design engineers said the company's standard is to allow for 1 quart leeway, either way.
Does this design engineer have a name?

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I know what the manual says, and it is right. But I don't see where you pick up an implication that one quart does it. I don't see that there, at all. It is not specific in any way.

But consider this. First, one of the Pentastar's design engineers said the company's standard is to allow for 1 quart leeway, either way. It is reasonable to assume that there is a safety margin. Now you know exactly what it is.

On top of that, look at how many dealerships are overfilling these things just for forum members. Imagine how many are getting 6 quarts where the owner never checks or never knows. Yet do we see a bunch of threads describing damage from overfill? No. And believe me, you would if 6 quarts was damaging.

So you will overfilling potentially cause damage? Sure, but it will have to be beyond 6 quarts. And it is entirely prudent for the owner's manual to warn about it.
so, this is exactly my point…. Your info is really, really good…. BECAUSE it puts a “bound” on what may cause damage. The manual DOESN’T ….. it says:

“Overfilling or underfilling will…..”. What does that mean….. ????? Half a quart? Quarter of a quart? Two quarts? Quart and a half? Your info is far better than what FCA has chosen to put in writing. And, I thank you for posting.
Sponsored