Sponsored

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
You are fine with what you describe on the dipstick. The engine is also designed to handle up to 1 quart overfilled and up to 1 quart underfilled. That was FCA's specification when it was designed. All of their engines have to meet that spec, so don't lose sleep. If it were a full quart over, you'd see that more clearly on the dipstick.

There are literally hundreds of thousands of this version of the Pentastar being overfilled by dealerships and running fine, thank goodness. It's certainly not ideal, but not catastrophic, either.

I wouldn't advise overfilling, but I also would not stress over it. But again, yours sounds like it is reading pretty much where it should. There have been cases of dealerships filling them properly but marking 6 quarts on the documentation. Maybe they are trying to get some free oil from Jeep when they get reimbursed for the Jeep Wave program, Lol.
Just looked again in daylight. Also used a white paper towel. Looks like it is about half an inch over the full limit. Inserted, cleaned and removed the dipstick numerous time.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Just looked again in daylight. Also used a white paper towel. Looks like it is about half an inch over the full limit. Inserted, cleaned and removed the dipstick numerous time.
1/2" sounds like a lot. I'll look at mine this evening to see where that lands.

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
I went through this with all four of my Jeep Wave oil changes. Told the service writer I wanted only 5 quarts and the paperwork always said 6 quarts. They re-did the change the first two times. The third time they claimed it was done correctly and it was just the paperwork that was wrong. The fourth time the guy told me that they put in five quarts and that since they “cracked the seal” on the sixth quart but didn’t use it they still had to put it on the Invoice. I doubted that they use individual quarts, thought he was just blowing smoke and at that point decided to switch dealers.

I checked the dipstick after each change (3.6L engine). It was way over (maybe 1/2 inch high) when they put 6 quarts in (before they corrected it). After their correction and the other two times it was still a little high - right where the wire begins. That’s about where it was when it came from the factory on mine so I thought it was ok.

After the fourth free change I changed it myself. I drained 5.5 quarts with the oil level at the junction between the rounded part and the wire. I think they were still slightly overfilling even though they weren’t putting in 6 quarts anymore.

I had been fairly happy with that dealer on a previous Jeep but made a change. At the new dealer I took my own oil in and they were willing to use that. Now the oil is at the top of the cross-hatched area as it should be.

I use a dealer because I’d rather not hassle with getting rid of the old oil and I don’t mind the dealer inspecting the rest of the Jeep when it’s in there. Thats probably more than anyone wanted to know but I have 3 years experience with Jeep oil changes now

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I went through this with all four of my Jeep Wave oil changes. Told the service writer I wanted only 5 quarts and the paperwork always said 6 quarts. They re-did the change the first two times. The third time they claimed it was done correctly and it was just the paperwork that was wrong. The fourth time the guy told me that they put in five quarts and that since they “cracked the seal” on the sixth quart but didn’t use it they still had to put it on the Invoice. I doubted that they use individual quarts, thought he was just blowing smoke and at that point decided to switch dealers.

I checked the dipstick after each change (3.6L engine). It was way over (maybe 1/2 inch high) when they put 6 quarts in (before they corrected it). After their correction and the other two times it was still a little high - right where the wire begins. That’s about where it was when it came from the factory on mine so I thought it was ok.

After the fourth free change I changed it myself. I drained 5.5 quarts with the oil level at the junction between the rounded part and the wire. I think they were still slightly overfilling even though they weren’t putting in 6 quarts anymore.

I had been fairly happy with that dealer on a previous Jeep but made a change. At the new dealer I took my own oil in and they were willing to use that. Now the oil is at the top of the cross-hatched area as it should be.

I use a dealer because I’d rather not hassle with getting rid of the old oil and I don’t mind the dealer inspecting the rest of the Jeep when it’s in there. Thats probably more than anyone wanted to know but I have 3 years experience with Jeep oil changes now
@AlamedaJeep

Not sure if you are aware but .......where you reside you can call and ask for a oil recycle container and they drop it off at your place. You change your oil and leave that filled container with your trash/recycle pick-up containers. They pick up the oil container and leave you an empty one on trash/recycle pickup day.... Real easy... and costs you nothing extra/part of you trash pick-up charge. At lease that is the way it is in Newark/Alameda County.

Dealer has to be charging you quite a bit to change your oil for you.... 8-( Changing the oil on a JL takes minutes and is easy for most anyone...

Sponsored

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
1/2" sounds like a lot. I'll look at mine this evening to see where that lands.
Went this morning to the dealership and took care of it. Had them drain all the oil and refill with 5 qts.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
@AlamedaJeep

Not sure if you are aware but .......where you reside you can call and ask for a oil recycle container and they drop it off at your place. You change your oil and leave that filled container with your trash/recycle pick-up containers. They pick up the oil container and leave you an empty one on trash/recycle pickup day.... Real easy... and costs you nothing extra/part of you trash pick-up charge. At lease that is the way it is in Newark/Alameda County.

Dealer has to be charging you quite a bit to change your oil for you.... 8-( Changing the oil on a JL takes minutes and is easy for most anyone...
That's really cool, recycling the oil is always the part I hate the most... I'm sure most are the same way, always end up with used sitting oil sitting in the garage. Will have to look this up, hopefully my area offers it.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Went this morning to the dealership and took care of it. Had them drain all the oil and refill with 5 qts.
Good deal. I didn't get to check mine yet but like I said, 1/2" above sounds like they really did put hte full six in there, or maybe more!

Glad they took care of it!

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
A Fumoto valve would make it VERY easy to drain off a little excess oil whenever you need to, and you could do it totally mess-free if you also buy the drain tube with the Fumoto valve. Just fyi for you guys who are still getting too much oil from your dealer service intervals.

LaurenLeigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS 2.0 Turbo Bikini Pearl; 2009 JK Sahara

@AlamedaJeep I’m resurrecting an old post here, but I recently moved to Alameda from the Gulf Coast. I’ve still got a few free oil changes I’d like to take advantage of, but not sure which dealer service departments are best around here. Do you have any recommendations?

Sponsored

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
I am completely confused as to how a clearly marked vehicle gets overfilled with oil? It makes no sense at all.

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
@AlamedaJeep I’m resurrecting an old post here, but I recently moved to Alameda from the Gulf Coast. I’ve still got a few free oil changes I’d like to take advantage of, but not sure which dealer service departments are best around here. Do you have any recommendations?
PM Sent

blackJLURubi

First Name
Carson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
My dealer put in six quarts. Called them and told them it’s supposed to be 5 per manual, and they said 5 doesn’t fill it to the line on the dipstick so they have to put 6 quarts in. Is this BS or what?

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
My dealer put in six quarts. Called them and told them it’s supposed to be 5 per manual, and they said 5 doesn’t fill it to the line on the dipstick so they have to put 6 quarts in. Is this BS or what?
Its bullshit, I change my own and its right on with 5 qts.

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
That would put it way past the upper full hash mark. Did you check it yourself to see where it is at?
Sponsored