First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
I would encourage jeep owners who have never changed oil for whatever reason to realize that they can do this task in about 10 minutes with 20 bucks in parts off zon. Maybe 15 minutes if its the weekend and they have a beer.

Really, learn to change your own oil. You don't need a lift, anyone can get under this vehicle. There is no freaking need to drop your new jeep off for a few hours on the other side of town to get a free coffee and about a weeks worth of warranty arguments.

This is probably the easiest vehicle I've ever owned to change oil.

My time is worth a lot to me. A free oil change that requires me to travel an hour each way and wait 15 minutes in line. That is not 'free'. I am pretty expensive labor, but I also have a 10 year old that follows instructions better than dealers.
Sponsored

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
I would encourage jeep owners who have never changed oil for whatever reason to realize that they can do this task in about 10 minutes with 20 bucks in parts off zon. Maybe 15 minutes if its the weekend and they have a beer.

Really, learn to change your own oil. You don't need a lift, anyone can get under this vehicle. There is no freaking need to drop your new jeep off for a few hours on the other side of town to get a free coffee and about a weeks worth of warranty arguments.

This is probably the easiest vehicle I've ever owned to change oil.

My time is worth a lot to me. A free oil change that requires me to travel an hour each way and wait 15 minutes in line. That is not 'free'. I am pretty expensive labor, but I also have a 10 year old that follows instructions better than dealers.
I agree. Come on people, I am 74 years old with a back problem and I get down and crawl under my jeep and change oil, and both differentials. Any one who lets those untrained monkeys any where near their Jeep doesn’t really care about their Jeep. I do my on 4 wheel rotations also. While you are under there check the torque on your suspension etc. then it’s beer thirty time
with a good German lager.

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Welp, I took it it for fluid changes because I’ve been too busy. They overfilled. And I don’t think it ever did this, but the oil pressure jumps to 70psi and then drops back to 31 and repeats. That is not normal right??

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Welp, I took it it for fluid changes because I’ve been too busy. They overfilled. And I don’t think it ever did this, but the oil pressure jumps to 70psi and then drops back to 31 and repeats. That is not normal right??
The oil pressure goes to 70psi once over 3000RPMs.

Sponsored

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Yep, normal at higher rpm.
I’m no expert, but I’d like to continue doing my own maintenance on my Jeep, as I did on my last Jeep. What’s the consensus on dipstick checking? Cold, first thing in the morning? While it’s hot? This photo is hard to tell, but it looks like the oil hits where I placed the red line.
I’m ready to dump it and replace it in the morning to stop thinking about it.

517A0427-ACEA-4105-952D-FF7F17F82361.jpeg

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I’m no expert, but I’d like to continue doing my own maintenance on my Jeep, as I did on my last Jeep. What’s the consensus on dipstick checking? Cold, first thing in the morning? While it’s hot? This photo is hard to tell, but it looks like the oil hits where I placed the red line.
I’m ready to dump it and replace it in the morning to stop thinking about it.

517A0427-ACEA-4105-952D-FF7F17F82361.jpeg
Hot, 5 minutes after shutdown. That's what the manual says. But don't worry about 1 quart overfilled. It won't hurt anything as the Pentastar and all FCA engines are certified to pass all of their testing both a quart over and a quart under full.

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I started this thread on this topic back in September of 2018 it's still going. It's funny how guys will take a simple topic and beat it absolutely to death. Two and a half years and they're still hashing it out. Lol.

The "PUG" (Pentastar Upgrade) engine was redesigned in some key areas. The oil pan was one of them. It does NOT require 6 quarts of oil any more.

This engine represents the first time in decades that a Jeep 6-cylinder does not require 6 quarts of oil, which is why most dealerships had no idea and some still don't. You need to remind them.

Also, after you refill the engine oil, and the new oil filter is installed, you should start the engine for <2 minutes and then shut it off and wait 5 minutes before checking the dipstick. Failure to do so will give you false readings.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Make sure your dipstick is attached to the engine correctly.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
For the people who can’t believe the dealership would mess it up.

image.jpg

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
That is normal.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Went for my first oil change to the dealer today (Saturday) on my new Gladiator Mohave at 4100 miles.
I told the SA that it should be 5 qts. Looks like during the oil change the original SA left and the receipt was printed by a different SA.

The receipt shows 6 qts. I asked the SA why it is 6 quarts and not 5. He said that they use about 5.5 quarts and it gets rounded to 6 quarts.

The dipstick shows full but hard to make out how much it is over. I will go on Monday and talk to the parts manager and enquire.

I always use the Offroad Pages when I drive. Oil pressure seems normal - under low idle at 30 psi and high at 70 psi when I accelerate - just like before the oil change.

Anything to be concerned about?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Went for my first oil change to the dealer today (Saturday) on my new Gladiator Mohave at 4100 miles.
I told the SA that it should be 5 qts. Looks like during the oil change the original SA left and the receipt was printed by a different SA.

The receipt shows 6 qts. I asked the SA why it is 6 quarts and not 5. He said that they use about 5.5 quarts and it gets rounded to 6 quarts.

The dipstick shows full but hard to make out how much it is over. I will go on Monday and talk to the parts manager and enquire.

I always use the Offroad Pages when I drive. Oil pressure seems normal - under low idle at 30 psi and high at 70 psi when I accelerate - just like before the oil change.

Anything to be concerned about?
You are fine with what you describe on the dipstick. The engine is also designed to handle up to 1 quart overfilled and up to 1 quart underfilled. That was FCA's specification when it was designed. All of their engines have to meet that spec, so don't lose sleep. If it were a full quart over, you'd see that more clearly on the dipstick.

There are literally hundreds of thousands of this version of the Pentastar being overfilled by dealerships and running fine, thank goodness. It's certainly not ideal, but not catastrophic, either.

I wouldn't advise overfilling, but I also would not stress over it. But again, yours sounds like it is reading pretty much where it should. There have been cases of dealerships filling them properly but marking 6 quarts on the documentation. Maybe they are trying to get some free oil from Jeep when they get reimbursed for the Jeep Wave program, Lol.
Sponsored