Reminder: 5 quarts of oil to avoid oil overfill

Notviper

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Moab Edition
I know this is not a new topic on the forums here, but echoing the experience and frustration that many others have had.

Thought I'd take advantage of the free oil changes that come with the Jeep Wave program and went in sure enough, it was filled to 6 quarts. I pointed out that the manual says 5 quarts and they responded that they don't know why it would say that. Surely they have to know by now? It's just disappointing to see.

To top it all off, they hadn't even pushed the oil dipstick in all the way either after they were done. Safe to say I'll be doing my own oil changes from here on out.

IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0228b.jpg
Sponsored

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
I know this is not a new topic on the forums here, but echoing the experience and frustration that many others have had.

Thought I'd take advantage of the free oil changes that come with the Jeep Wave program and went in sure enough, it was filled to 6 quarts. I pointed out that the manual says 5 quarts and they responded that they don't know why it would say that. Surely they have to know by now? It's just disappointing to see.

To top it all off, they hadn't even pushed the oil dipstick in all the way either after they were done. Safe to say I'll be doing my own oil changes from here on out.

Jeep Wrangler JL Reminder: 5 quarts of oil to avoid oil overfill IMG_0228b

Jeep Wrangler JL Reminder: 5 quarts of oil to avoid oil overfill IMG_0228b
Send a complaint PM about the dealership to JeepCares on this forum.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Send a complaint PM about the dealership to JeepCares on this forum.
Agreed.

persoanlly, I would raise holy hell with FCA and this dealership. it Seems likely that this dealer has been putting 6 quarts into every JL serviced for 3 years. What damage has that caused that later needed to be fixed under warranty at FCA’s expense. If you can’t trust this dealerships training and process for something as simple as an oil change, how can you trust them to do anything?

this is a classic situation of FCA literally not caring enough to audit dealership service bays and, when repeated failures occur, to remove the Jeep badge from the Dealer. Unless and until FCA grows some balls and starts really holding their dealers to a higher standard, the now “luxury priced” vehicles that they are selling will Continue provide a Yugo experience for the customer.

wrangster

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the JLUS, New Ford Ranger 4X4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
Sad the dealerships are still doing this.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Even though my dealership knows it is 5 because I've had it done there for a year I still talk to the guy doing it to make sure he knows. It may be a new person just started so I also make sure since it is my vehicle. I think most dealerships know and do it right. And how many owners know it us 5?

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
There's probably nothing wrong with the DEALERSHIP--

As usual, it's one bad APPLE MECHANIC--or do as MIKE suggests and do as I do--

When i take my RAM in I always take a minute and talk to the MECHANIC I know will do my OIL/FILTER CHANGE and I always give him a $5 buck THANKYOU !

Of course I shouldn't/don't have to--but I don't have any problems, so do what you want !

I haven' taken my SAHARA in yet- did the first myself(SYN) !

JIMBO

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
2 1/2 years later and here we are still can't do a competent oil change.

CUOFFRD

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
We just took our 2020 3.6 in for its first oil change. They billed for 6 quarts and when we inquired about it to the service manager was told:

“that engine takes 5.3 quarts and we do not bill parts in fractions so it rounds up to 6. We use an automated system that after scanning the VIN it sets the gun to the 5.3 quarts or whatever the vehicle takes to eliminate tech errors. “

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
We just took our 2020 3.6 in for its first oil change. They billed for 6 quarts and when we inquired about it to the service manager was told:

“that engine takes 5.3 quarts and we do not bill parts in fractions so it rounds up to 6. We use an automated system that after scanning the VIN it sets the gun to the 5.3 quarts or whatever the vehicle takes to eliminate tech errors. “
Check the oil stick to make sure. The oil should not be up on the wire portion as shown in previous pictures in this thread.

CUOFFRD

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Check the oil stick to make sure. The oil should not be up on the wire portion as shown in previous pictures in this thread.
Yep, it was within specs but the engine has not cooled. We’ll check when cold.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I do think they might be right about 5.3 quarts as opposed to 5. I've added about 1/4 quart each change after about 3k miles and checking it. This time I added it from the start. 3k later, all is good.

If it indeed is 5.3, then that should ease the minds of those who had 6 put in by mistake. There is certainly a margin of error designed in, so 0.7 is a safer bet than 1.0. I still haven't heard of anyone reporting damage or oil showing signs of a problem related to overfill and you can bet dealers have done this many, many thousands of times. Maybe we'll over 100k times by now.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure I believe the 5.3 qt. I'm on my 3rd oil change and have been putting exactly 5 back in. It's all the way at the top of the hash marks after a drive cycle and my catch can catches much more oil for the first 3k miles than the last 5k.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Next oil change, I'm going to add the 5 quart jug, as always, then check it again after reaching full operating temp after a 20 minute or so drive. It always shows spot-on after the 5 quarts, but I've added 1/5 or so quart after as few as 1k miles. Then it settles down and I haven't had to add anymore all the way to 7500 miles.

Maybe that catchcan gives some kind of indication that something else is at play? It sounds like it could be consistent with my experience.

Pred03

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler 2019 Silverado LT
First oil change on our Jeep. I saw this thread and figured no way, after 2 or 3 years or whatever it is of the jl being out, would a dealer still put 6 qts in.... WRONG. it is mind boggling to me. What I don’t understand, is if this is warranty work, and they’re sending it in to fca to get reimbursed, how is 6 qts getting by?
I know having worked for gm for a couple years, if say I were to send a warranty oil change through on say a new Silverado, and the RO said they put 9 qts in, when in fact the pickup only calls for 8, gm is going to kick that back ASAP. how doesn’t this happen with Jeep?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
First oil change on our Jeep. I saw this thread and figured no way, after 2 or 3 years or whatever it is of the jl being out, would a dealer still put 6 qts in.... WRONG. it is mind boggling to me. What I don’t understand, is if this is warranty work, and they’re sending it in to fca to get reimbursed, how is 6 qts getting by?
I know having worked for gm for a couple years, if say I were to send a warranty oil change through on say a new Silverado, and the RO said they put 9 qts in, when in fact the pickup only calls for 8, gm is going to kick that back ASAP. how doesn’t this happen with Jeep?
They do it because there are probably 1 million JK's with Pentastars on the road and 10 million gen 1 Pentastars and they all take 6 quarts. If the engine said 3.7 on the cover, I'd bet it would be different. Also, the folks doing oil changes are not mechanics or even techs. They would never pay a certified tech to do that when they can pay someone 9 to 12 bucks an hour to do it.

I'm not defending them, at all, because there is no defense for it. Just pointing out possible reasons as to why.
Sponsored