DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I just had my 3rd oil change done and I believe they overfilled it again, even after telling them it was overfilled the last two times and only needs 5 quarts. When I checked the dip stick in the morning (cold engine), the oil was at least an inch up onto the cable, outside the range area. When I called the dealership to complain to the service manager, he told me I should check the oil level when the engine is hot and has been sitting for 5-10 minutes, but to come by anyway so they could take a look. Can anyone confirm if checking the oil level when the engine is cold, the wrong way to do it? I did a test when the engine was hot, and let it sit for 30 minutes and now it's only about 1/4 inch outside the range. So who's right? Regardless, I still think it's overfilled.
The owner's manual says to check 5 minutes after shutdown. It'll probably read less than what you saw, but an inch over the fill sounds way overfilled. Make sure the engine is fully up to temp when you check it, too.

I checked mine cold once and it was slightly low. I topped it off with about 1/4 quart. Then, later, followed the proper procedure and found I was 1/4 quart overfilled. I didn't drain it off because only 1/4 quart overfilled wasn't going to cause an issue.

Let us know what you see after you check it again.
Sponsored

moonpup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I checked mine cold once and it was slightly low.
That's interesting, you checked yours cold and it showed a little low, but mine cold is at least an inch up the cable. Looks to me mine is overfilled.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I had my oil changed at the dealer today, one of the free ones. I was at Texans Dodge, in Humble Texas. I told the service writer about only filling with 5 quarts. She wrote it down and stated she would!d make sure to tell the mechanics. When I got it back, the paperwork stated, in large letters only fill with 5 quarts.
So, I went to my Jeep, which had been sitting for several minutes, and I checked the dipstick. Well over the full line. GRrrrr. I called the service writer over, and showed the oil level. She brought over the mechanics who stated they only put 5 in. In looking over the fine print, on what the mechanics wrote, it clearly said they put 6 quarts in. Back inside it went, and the manager watched, as they drained a quart out. They all did apologize.
I'm glad I am not too trusting, and double check thing's.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
I had my oil changed at the dealer today, one of the free ones. I was at Texans Dodge, in Humble Texas. I told the service writer about only filling with 5 quarts. She wrote it down and stated she would!d make sure to tell the mechanics. When I got it back, the paperwork stated, in large letters only fill with 5 quarts.
So, I went to my Jeep, which had been sitting for several minutes, and I checked the dipstick. Well over the full line. GRrrrr. I called the service writer over, and showed the oil level. She brought over the mechanics who stated they only put 5 in. In looking over the fine print, on what the mechanics wrote, it clearly said they put 6 quarts in. Back inside it went, and the manager watched, as they drained a quart out. They all did apologize.
I'm glad I am not too trusting, and double check thing's.

I will do my own maintenance. They can keep their free oil etc. I asked two different techs in the quick lube at the dealership how many courts of oil does the new JL with the 3.6 engine have. They were standing side by side one said 5 and one said 6. Go figure. I don't use their oil anyway.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I will do my own maintenance. They can keep their free oil etc. I asked two different techs in the quick lube at the dealership how many courts of oil does the new JL with the 3.6 engine have. They were standing side by side one said 5 and one said 6. Go figure. I don't use their oil anyway.
Just out of curiosity, I called 4 random California based Jeep dealerships, talked to a service advisor each time and 100% said JLs take 6 quarts of oil, even after I asked if they would confirm with a tech. I called 4 random Jiffy Lubes type oil change services. 100% said JLs take 5 quarts. Shame.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just out of curiosity, I called 4 random California based Jeep dealerships, talked to a service advisor each time and 100% said JLs take 6 quarts of oil, even after I asked if they would confirm with a tech. I called 4 random Jiffy Lubes type oil change services. 100% said JLs take 5 quarts. Shame.
@JeepCares would it be possible for you do help with this? This needs to be barked up the chain of command. It is a major concern that Jeep's own dealer service network can't get this right after 2.5 years of the JL being on the market and 3.5 of this version of the 3.6 being out in the Grand Cherokee. There are literally over 1 million of these engines on the road and it is a rare occurence that a dealership knows how much oil it takes.

This will save LOTS of money in oil. We need a liaison who can communicate to corporate when there is a common iissue like this and I've not seen an issue with such a wide pattern. It was understandable when the JL was new, but it isn't new anymore.

Any help getting this to the right folks would be appreciated. It really makes Jeep look silly and it 100% robs people of any confidence they might have had in their dealership service departments with oil changes or other fluids. For example, the axles take less fluid than the JK, too. A tiny change would go a long way. MANY forum members are giving up their Jeep Wave oil changes or even giving up doing paid oil changes at the dealerships because of this.

The Jeep Wave should be a positive point of contact between dealers and customers where good relationships and trust are buit, not where harm is done. That defeats the whole purpose.

It honestly needs to go out as an urgent bulletin to service department managers. A whole bunch of people are really not paying attention to important details. This is low hanging fruit. Please tell them to grab it!

Thanks!

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
@JeepCares would it be possible for you do help with this? This needs to be barked up the chain of command. It is a major concern that Jeep's own dealer service network can't get this right after 2.5 years of the JL being on the market and 3.5 of this version of the 3.6 being out in the Grand Cherokee. There are literally over 1 million of these engines on the road and it is a rare occurence that a dealership knows how much oil it takes.

This will save LOTS of money in oil. We need a liaison who can communicate to corporate when there is a common iissue like this and I've not seen an issue with such a wide pattern. It was understandable when the JL was new, but it isn't new anymore.

Any help getting this to the right folks would be appreciated. It really makes Jeep look silly and it 100% robs people of any confidence they might have had in their dealership service departments with oil changes or other fluids. For example, the axles take less fluid than the JK, too. A tiny change would go a long way. MANY forum members are giving up their Jeep Wave oil changes or even giving up doing paid oil changes at the dealerships because of this.

The Jeep Wave should be a positive point of contact between dealers and customers where good relationships and trust are buit, not where harm is done. That defeats the whole purpose.

It honestly needs to go out as an urgent bulletin to service department managers. A whole bunch of people are really not paying attention to important details. This is low hanging fruit. Please tell them to grab it!

Thanks!
I sent a PM to JeepCares over a year ago with the exact same suggestion. No response, no bulletin to the dealers, nothing. Maybe there are some different folks now running JeepCares and this time will be different.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
It is a major concern that Jeep's own dealer service network can't get this right after 2.5 years of the JL being on the market and 3.5 of this version of the 3.6 being out in the Grand Cherokee. There are literally over 1 million of these engines on the road and it is a rare occurence that a dealership knows how much oil it takes.
Grand Cherokee actually received the new PUG 3.6 back in 2016, so it’s been out 4.5 years now

The WK2’s 3.6 actually does take 6qts of oil.

Dealer service personnel should absolutely know the difference. But having the same engine with different oil pan capacities is likely the source of this problem.

9998F386-32D8-40D3-A933-0011FD880AA5.png

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Grand Cherokee actually received the new PUG 3.6 back in 2016, so it’s been out 4.5 years now

The WK2’s 3.6 actually does take 6qts of oil.

Dealer service personnel should absolutely know the difference. But having the same engine with different oil pan capacities is likely the source of this problem.

9998F386-32D8-40D3-A933-0011FD880AA5.png
Thank you for the correction! I wonder why the JL was reduced to 5? Ground clearance? The UOA's have been great, so from a performance standpoint, I can see that 5 does just fine.

Still, 2.5 years is long enough for them to learn it takes 5. Every time all JL's get an oil change, about 125,000 gallons of oil would be saved if everyone fills it properly. That's a shit load of oil saved, and doesn't count the times dealers have drained all 6 to refill it to the proper 5.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
@DanW and @californiajeeping,

Thank you for tagging us. We have made the appropriate parties aware of this, and communication has been sent out. Dealers are equipped with the resources and knowledge for the specifications of each vehicle. We are always available via private message if you would like additional support before your Jeep goes in for an oil change.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

Sponsored

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired

Thank you for tagging us. We have made the appropriate parties aware of this, and communication has been sent out. Dealers are equipped with the resources and knowledge for the specifications of each vehicle. We are always available via private message if you would like additional support before your Jeep goes in for an oil change.

Darlene
Jeep Cares
Thanks, Darlene I appreciate your comments. There are so many complaints from jeep owners about the same thing for years ie, oil changes,steering problems etc. FCA is just not capable or just don't care about their customers. Never had a problem with Garmin.. Talked to a friend at Garmin the other day and he just laughed,said that's a 24 hr. fix. What actually do you guys and gals do other than run interference?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Darlene
Jeep Cares
Thank you! Your help is appreciated!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, Darlene I appreciate your comments. There are so many complaints from jeep owners about the same thing for years ie, oil changes,steering problems etc. FCA is just not capable or just don't care about their customers. Never had a problem with Garmin.. Talked to a friend at Garmin the other day and he just laughed,said that's a 24 hr. fix. What actually do you guys and gals do other than run interference?
They've actually helped me with a couple of important things, so they can be a great resource. They are not executives or management with the company, however. I haven't seen them do anything or say anything that sounds like interference. Do you have an example?

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
They've actually helped me with a couple of important things, so they can be a great resource. They are not executives or management with the company, however. I haven't seen them do anything or say anything that sounds like interference. Do you have an example?
I ment acting as a stop gap. to try and keep complaints from being addressed etc.

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Thank you for the correction! I wonder why the JL was reduced to 5? Ground clearance?
Weight savings, serviceability, packaging over the solid axle, and most of all expected angle of operation of the vehicle. All of those things are needed design parameters for the Wrangler specifically so that's why Wrangler has a unique oil pan.

When I posted this thread, I never imagined that in spring 2020 it would still be a problem, but apparently FCA is still clueless that their dealers are screwing up a basic function.
Sponsored