Sponsored

Reminder: 5 quarts of oil to avoid oil overfill

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
So it looks like FCA needs to work on quality control and communication. There is no way this should continue to happen.
Sponsored

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
Man, this suck. I am super OCD, but mentioning this to them bothers me too. I don't want to seem like a know-it-all ass hat... I bet it bugs them. But I guess I'll have to just do it.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
This thing is just so easy for oil changes, just do it yourself and avoid the headache, including overtightening the drain plug, filter cap, and overfilling. If you replace the drain plug with a valve, it is even better. One 5quart jug and done. Or, put a Fram Ultra or Mobil 1 filter on it and only mess with the filter every other oil change, if you want to make it even easier.

mat071975

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Was just in Farish Jeep in Fairfax, VA. I noticed they overfilled it once I got home and looked at the receipt. Going back now to get it fixed.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I cannot believe this continues to happen.

Sponsored

WisTex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Just looked at my receipt for a dealer oil change that occurred 10/18. Shows 6 quarts. Why hasn't FCA alerted their dealers to this issue?

LeaN69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR 4xe / 23 Bolt EUV / 22 Camaro SS 1LE
Just looked at my receipt for a dealer oil change that occurred 10/18. Shows 6 quarts. Why hasn't FCA alerted their dealers to this issue?
I guess not. I spoke with the tech once the job was done, I explained to him that’s the 6qts he put in was too much blah blah blah, he said he would check. I got my Jeep back (thought he fixed the mistake) but checked the oil level next day anyway and it was waaayy over.

What bothers me is not that they overfilled it initially. But the fact that they said they would make sure there only 5qt, and clearly did nothing.

Whats sad is supposedly these are trained professionals who don’t even know the engine oil capacity and refuse to listen, check or confirm because we’re just a dummy customer.

gspfunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep WK1 SRT8, Chevy Trailblazer SS
Vehicle Showcase
I guess not. I spoke with the tech once the job was done, I explained to him that’s the 6qts he put in was too much blah blah blah, he said he would check. I got my Jeep back (thought he fixed the mistake) but checked the oil level next day anyway and it was waaayy over.

What bothers me is not that they overfilled it initially. But the fact that they said they would make sure there only 5qt, and clearly did nothing.

Whats sad is supposedly these are trained professionals who don’t even know the engine oil capacity and refuse to listen, check or confirm because we’re just a dummy customer.
I agree....the fact that THEY SHOULD know best but often don’t is why I do 90% of my own work. I won’t do oil changes at the dealer even if they’re free. If I did and they overfilled it, I might be inclined to drain the excess on their lot. LOL.

I will definitely run 5w-20 when we get our JL as there are too many 100+ degree days in TX and it doesn’t get that cold for long. Running 0w-20 would probably be fine, but I’m not going to take that chance since 5w-20 fits my area’s temp range better. It will not cause any warranty issues, and a dealer would be hard-pressed to prove otherwise...especially with Blackstone reports in hand.

WisTex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
I took my JL back to the dealer this morning about the overfill oil issue. Here's the story I was told: "Our billing system rounds up to the next quart." Sounds like a nice profit enhancer, add 5.1 quarts and charge for 6.

I checked the oil level myself. Frankly, I could not tell if there was an overfill or not. I've owed over 15 vehicles, I have never had one with such a poor excuse for a dip stick as that on the JL. It's nothing but a piece of cable with a hunk of metal at the end of it. Does anyone make a replacement?

Sponsored

mat071975

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I was surprised too. I even mentioned it to the guy when I dropped it off.
Glad I found this forum, and remembered to check when I got home.

mat071975

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I took my JL back to the dealer this morning about the overfill oil issue. Here's the story I was told: "Our billing system rounds up to the next quart." Sounds like a nice profit enhancer, add 5.1 quarts and charge for 6.

I checked the oil level myself. Frankly, I could not tell if there was an overfill or not. I've owed over 15 vehicles, I have never had one with such a poor excuse for a dip stick as that on the JL. It's nothing but a piece of cable with a hunk of metal at the end of it. Does anyone make a replacement?
I had the same situation. I tried to confirm that the oil level matched what was on the paperwork, but it was very difficult to read. Hope someone knows of a good replacement.

HoWink

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Ditto for me at Ed Voyles in Atlanta. I mentioned the issue to the service adviser when I dropped off the car. Stupidly didn't check the receipt on the way out (1-1/2 hours for an oil change!). When I got home I saw the six quart notation on the receipt and immediately called the service adviser after re-checking my facts in the service manual. At first he gave me the 5.1 qt. rounding up story, then after I insisted, he checked with two nearby techs. They both, he said, stood behind the six quart capacity. Oh, and they're certified, he said.

So I hung up and called the service manager - got the asst. service manager. Told him the story. He asked if I could come back in. I did. He was entirely professional, and when I showed him the service manual, he said, "It couldn't be any clearer than that." He then verified the overfill on the dip stick and asked if he could take my car back to the shop so he could let out a little oil at a time to measure just how overfilled it was.

He brought the car back and apologized for the error. Not bad.

HoWink

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
Ditto for me at Ed Voyles in Atlanta. I mentioned the issue to the service adviser when I dropped off the car. Stupidly didn't check the receipt on the way out (1-1/2 hours for an oil change!). When I got home I saw the six quart notation on the receipt and immediately called the service adviser after re-checking my facts in the service manual. At first he gave me the 5.1 qt. rounding up story, then after I insisted, he checked with two nearby techs. They both, he said, stood behind the six quart capacity. Oh, and they're certified, he said.

So I hung up and called the service manager - got the asst. service manager. Told him the story. He asked if I could come back in. I did. He was entirely professional, and when I showed him the service manual, he said, "It couldn't be any clearer than that." He then verified the overfill on the dip stick and asked if he could take my car back to the shop so he could let out a little oil at a time to measure just how overfilled it was.

He brought the car back and apologized for the error. Not bad.

HoWink
Not sure where the 5.1 comes into play. The manual says five quarts. The JK manual says six quarts if I remember correctly.