Reminder: 5 quarts of oil to avoid oil overfill

Pred03

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler 2019 Silverado LT
They do it because there are probably 1 million JK's with Pentastars on the road and 10 million gen 1 Pentastars and they all take 6 quarts. If the engine said 3.7 on the cover, I'd bet it would be different. Also, the folks doing oil changes are not mechanics or even techs. They would never pay a certified tech to do that when they can pay someone 9 to 12 bucks an hour to do it.

I'm not defending them, at all, because there is no defense for it. Just pointing out possible reasons as to why.
I know for a fact in this situation, it was a tech that did it. Small dealer.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I know for a fact in this situation, it was a tech that did it. Small dealer.
Shame on that dude. He really should know better because he will have had to get training on the PUG. Our local dealership uses hourly people. Interestingly, though, from what I've heard, they've figured it out and have been getting it right. They still won't get mine for an oil change, though. Just too easy.

Pred03

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler 2019 Silverado LT
Shame on that dude. He really should know better because he will have had to get training on the PUG. Our local dealership uses hourly people. Interestingly, though, from what I've heard, they've figured it out and have been getting it right. They still won't get mine for an oil change, though. Just too easy.
Yup lesson learned here. I’m able and capable of doing my own, so it looks like that’s what I’ll be doing from now on

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I posted this a while ago.

Just out of curiosity, I called 4 random California based Jeep dealerships, talked to a service advisor, each time and 100% said JLs take 6 quarts of oil, even after I asked if they would confirm with a tech. I called 4 random Jiffy Lubes type oil change services. 100% said JLs take 5 quarts. This is reason #34 why Jeep dealers service departments rank dead last in the JD Powers survey year after year.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I posted this a while ago.

Just out of curiosity, I called 4 random California based Jeep dealerships, talked to a service advisor, each time and 100% said JLs take 6 quarts of oil, even after I asked if they would confirm with a tech. I called 4 random Jiffy Lubes type oil change services. 100% said JLs take 5 quarts. This is reason #34 why Jeep dealers service departments rank dead last in the JD Powers survey year after year.
Wow, that's pathetic! It tells me Jiffy Lube knows their business and trains their people to look things up. Of course Jiffy Lubes service a much wider variety of engines, but still. No excuse for FCA's dealerships to be this ignrant of their own product. Just wow.

Sponsored

DizzyIzzy

First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 AEV JL370 - Hellayella JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
At the dealership right now for my Jeep’s first oil change. I had to ask the rep to make sure not to overfill.

I asked him how much oil do they put in the JL and he said 5.5 to 6. I told him that the JL takes 5 quarts. I don’t understand as to why the f$*% would they want to put 6 quarts. And the service rep said that the “kids who work in the back” do so many 3.6 pentastars that they get used to it and make mistakes. They had 2 incidents last month. So, I was adamant that he go back there and tell the techs to put exactly 5 quarts.

This is just insane. I’m more used to the service done on my BMW, where I feel they’re by the book. I’ve had other cars, Toyotas, Infiniti and I never had to deal with this.

Last edited:

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
At the dealership right now for my Jeep’s first oil change. I had to ask the rep to make sure not to overfill.

I asked him how much oil do they put in the JL and he said 5.5 to 6. I told him that the JL takes 5 quarts. I don’t understand as to why the f$*% would they want to put 6 quarts. And the tech said that the “kids who work in the back” do so many 3.6 pentastars that they get used to it and make mistakes. They had 2 incidents last month. So, I was adamant that he go back there and tell the techs to put exactly 5 quarts.

This is just insane. I’m more used to the service done on my BMW, where I feel they’re by the book. I’ve had other cars, Toyotas, Infiniti and I never had to deal with this.
Nice color !

W.E.

JIMBO

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just a reminder, a friend who is one of the designers of the Pentastar has said that ALL FCA engines are required to pass all certification tests at one quart low or one quart overfilled, and everywhere in between, with no damage. He did say that this means you don't want to be even at 6.1 quarts, so 6.0 is the absolute max. Damage isn't guaranteed even then, but he cautions that it is not where you want to be.

The Pentastar does take a very long time to fully drain, so it would be easy to be slightly over 6.0 quarts if they added that much and didn't drain it for long.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
I mentioned it before, I received two different answers from two different individuals working at the dealer lube center who were standing beside each other at the counter. One said 6 the other said 5. Take it for what it’s worth, I am 74 yoa and change my own oil, filter and diff fluid. Rotate my own tires every 5000 miles.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I mentioned it before, I received two different answers from two different individuals working at the dealer lube center who were standing beside each other at the counter. One said 6 the other said 5. Take it for what it’s worth, I am 74 yoa and change my own oil, filter and diff fluid. Rotate my own tires every 5000 miles.
Lol! That must have been Moe and Larry.

Sponsored

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Lol! That must have been Moe and Larry.
Actually it was the write up person and the oil change person beside her taking a break from the hard work.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Actually it was the write up person and the oil change person beside her taking a break from the hard work.
You mean the hard work of lifting an extra quart of oil 25 times per day. Yes, that’s taxing.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
God dammit. I was skeptical that dealers really were this incompetent, but sure enough - just checked my oil level after my Jeep Wave oil change and 4-tire rotation a couple weeks ago and yep, way over the top of the dipstick indicator and probably 1" up on the braided cable. On top of that, I specifically asked the advisor when I dropped it off to make sure they do a 5 tire rotation for me and she said she'd "make it happen". Nope, my original brand-new spare is still sitting on my tailgate.

I'm so over it. @JeepCares - it's obvious your dealers don't care. The only positive think I can say is they did the clutch recall check and fix as well as verified my steering sucks and ordered a new steering box to try to fix it. But they didn't give me an ETA on the part or even a freaking guess. Oh, and nobody was wearing a mask and nobody had plexiglass guards up yet when I arrived.

Jeep service sucks and I will very likely never set foot in a dealer service center again if I can help it. Bunch of idiots.

goochman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 JKU Sahara, 2020 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Cruze Premier
Add me to the list now as well - was given an oil change on a warranty repair and on drive home the jeep didnt feel right. Checked oil next morning and 1" up the dipstick. Called dealer and Service Manager told me my receipt showed 6 quarts because they put 5.3 quarts in for the 3.6 oil changes and can only charge per quart. He acknowledged the oil should not be 6 and asked for me to bring it in for them to check. Sure enough they verified and indicated the Manager would be talking to the tech the next day.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
On a good note, York Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge/Ram in Plainfield, Indiana got it right on my brother's Gladiator! Woohoo!
Sponsored