First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Occupation
IT
Picking up my JL from an oil change at the dealership I pointed out to the service manager that the tech put in 6 quarts of oil instead of 5. I was expecting some flak or argument, but she apologized for not realizing the JL took less oil and had the tech do another oil change with 5
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
By the time they get this figured out and get into the habit of 5 quarts, the JK forum will start complaining that their Pentastars are being shorted a quart! Lol! :CWL:

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Same here.
I got my first oil change done at the dealership. I told the service advisor that it should only be 5 qts. He said it will be done at the exact specs.
When he printed out the invoice it said 6 qts and before he handed me the print out he called the shop and they said it was filled with 5 qts. but their billing system entered as 6 qts. I came home and checked the dipstick, and there is no way I can determine if it was overfilled. Mine is a 2019 2.0L JLUR.
I took the Jeep this morning to the dealership again. They looked at the dipstick and told me I am fine. The dipstick on the 2019 2.0L is different. It has two holes for Min and Max and my level is just above the Max level - about 2-3mm. He reassured me that I am fine.
I am not going to worry too much about this since the oil change was done at the dealership, and if something does happen, I have the paperwork to prove their liability. I have done my due diligence. I will also PM Jeep Cares and have this documented just in case.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
By the time they get this figured out and get into the habit of 5 quarts, the JK forum will start complaining that their Pentastars are being shorted a quart! Lol! :CWL:
Hahaha, I could see that happening. That, however, probably has more drastic repercussions!

homebrew

First Name
paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Got an oil change this morning, brought up the whole 5vs6 quart issue. The service manager looks it up and says yeah it says right here 5. I said god deal they must have fixed it. They finished the oil change and I walked out to the Jeep and was about to check the level to see where it was, looked at the receipt and it sure as shit said 6qts. I checked the level and it was over by a good amount. I started back to the service desk and they guy was like I just looked at the paper and saw it said 6. He called the tech in and they exchanged words. Took the Jeep back in and drained it to the proper level. Moral of the story double check your invoice always!!

Sponsored

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Got an oil change this morning, brought up the whole 5vs6 quart issue. The service manager looks it up and says yeah it says right here 5. I said god deal they must have fixed it. They finished the oil change and I walked out to the Jeep and was about to check the level to see where it was, looked at the receipt and it sure as shit said 6qts. I checked the level and it was over by a good amount. I started back to the service desk and they guy was like I just looked at the paper and saw it said 6. He called the tech in and they exchanged words. Took the Jeep back in and drained it to the proper level. Moral of the story double check your invoice always!!
The take away for me was not check the invoice but “Check the oil” that’s the most important thing. Not what the invoice says. The oil level and invoices do not always match.
My jeep motor doesn’t care what the invoice says, it cares what the oil level is.

Last edited:

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue Wrangler JLUR, Expedition, Escape
just had my first oil change. even after telling them 5 quarts they still over filled!!! service manager had another mechanic check and confirmed over fill. They drained the extra out. They also said they rotated the tires but lied, its easy to tell when the spare is brand new!! but thats another story.
They don't normally rotate the spare in - just front to back.

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
This is still going on so be sure to check your oil level.

This is the second time in a row for me. I told the Service Writer 5 quarts the first time and it still happened. This time I reminded him that it happened the first time and I didn’t want the extra quart and it was overfilled again.

The receipt said 6 quarts. I questioned it and he said it was probably ok. I checked myself and it was overfilled. He sent the tech out to verify the level. I asked him how much he put in - he said 6 quarts so I asked him why he needed to check it.

It’s (almost) funny.

I’m tempted to change it myself, but I like having the maintenance record and this dealer in the past has actually been helpful in spotting issues with my previous Jeep.

Sponsored

Sierra Nevada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubi JL Unlimited
Does everyone realize the owners manual has a procedure for checking the oil? It says to turn off the engine for 5 minutes (it "ass-u-mes" the engine is hot), then measure the oil with dip stick.

My dealer has been putting in 6 quarts ... per invoice ... 3 times in a row now. I made a big deal about this recently with a discussion with the man in charge of service at the local Jeep dealership. If one follows the dip stick procedure, the oil measures correctly. If one measures the oil with the engine cold it is way over filled. Anyone else noticed this?

My best guess is all the oil runs out of the oil filter ... say overnight when the JL is not used ... and that's why the dip stick reads overfilled when the engine is cold? Anyone know how much oil the oil filter holds? That filter is installed upside down so the oil will drain back into the engine while parked overnight? lol

Also, is the oil pan smaller on JL vs. JK 3.6L engine? ... if so, would this be a clear indication of the 5 vs. 6 quart engine?

Last edited:

Jimac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Does everyone realize the owners manual has a procedure for checking the oil? It says to turn off the engine for 5 minutes (it "ass-u-mes" the engine is hot), then measure the oil with dip stick.

My dealer has been putting in 6 quarts ... per invoice ... 3 times in a row now. I made a big deal about this recently with a discussion with the man in charge of service at the local Jeep dealership. If one follows the dip stick procedure, the oil measures correctly. If one measures the oil with the engine cold it is way over filled. Anyone else noticed this?

My best guess is all the oil runs out of the oil filter ... say overnight when the JL is not used ... and that's why the dip stick reads overfilled when the engine is cold? Anyone know how much oil the oil filter holds? That filter is installed upside down so the oil will drain back into the engine while parked overnight? lol

Also, is the oil pan smaller on JL vs. JK 3.6L engine? ... if so, would this be a clear indication of the 5 vs. 6 quart engine?
Yes

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The Jeep dealership F'd up twice and put in 6 quarts even though I reminded the service advisor and put a note on the dash the 2nd time in case person A didn't remind person B that it was 5 not 6 quarts. Below is the picture - same thing printed on both sides just in case Moe, Larry or Curly looked at the wrong side. Cost $4.95 on Amazon, took 5 days to arrive. They sent a coupon for $10 if you give them a review, so bought two more tags for other purposes. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MAX6VQR/ Click on "military" to see the elongated tag.

Other threads on this same 5 vs 6 quart topic -

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...r-5-minutes-over-maximum-quarts-of-oil.28444/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/dealer-messed-it-up-again.31902/

Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 11.20.21 AM.png

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
Are you bleeping kidding me ? This isn't a check your oil issue, its a bleeping FCA and the entire dealer network hasn't a clue how to service their automobiles. You must work for FCA in North Mexico to make such a stupid statement. Okay so lets all ignore that FCA and their entire dealer network can't figure out how to execute the right oil change on 10s of thousands of vehicles, and the real problems is we don't all check the oil frequently enough..... come on seriously
Well... it is 2 issues:
1) FCA doesn't have proper documentation showing that the engine now only requires 5 quarts and not 6 quarts.
2) Ahhhh... yes it is an issue with not checking the oil, starting with the dealer and carrying through with the owner.

I learned about 45 years ago that after an oil change, you start up the engine, get in warmed up and look for leaks. Shut the engine off for a couple of minutes, allowing the oil to drain back into the pan, look for leaks again, then you... CHECK THE OIL LEVEL!!!

In my OCD opinion, I don't care if the manual states 5 quarts, I am not just going to put 5 quarts in it and shut the hood. I will put about 4 1/2 quarts in it, follow the procedures listed above, and check the oil level. If 1/2 quart low, then I will add the other 1/2 quart. When I get through, the oil level will be EXACTLY where it needs to be. I don't understand why ANYONE would not check the oil level after changing the oil.
Sponsored