DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like this is only if you have the RIPP supercharger........would love to see what @DanW has to say about this as his knowledge of the oil on the JL is legendary :like:.
As @chevymitchell said, it'll be fine. All FCA designed engines are required to pass all corporate tests from 1 quart low to 1 quart overfilled. That comes straight from one of the guys who designed the Pentastar.

As for legend, well, thanks, but I'm really just not that bright. ChevyMitchell has forgotten more than I ever knew.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I'm more worried about the dealer techs causing an oil cooler leak when they torque the filler cap.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I'm more worried about the dealer techs causing an oil cooler leak when they torque the filler cap.
If anything, the oil leak comes from them being too lazy to replace the O-ring on the cap or too stupid to put it in the right spot on the cap.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If anything, the oil leak comes from them being too lazy to replace the O-ring on the cap or too stupid to put it in the right spot on the cap.
Or just putting it on too tight. It is only supposed to be 18 ft. lbs. of torque.

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe
As @chevymitchell said, it'll be fine. All FCA designed engines are required to pass all corporate tests from 1 quart low to 1 quart overfilled. That comes straight from one of the guys who designed the Pentastar.

As for legend, well, thanks, but I'm really just not that bright. ChevyMitchell has forgotten more than I ever knew.
That is actually good to know. I changed my oil on my 2.0 and it was slightly over the full mark from the factory and after I filled it with 5 quarts it was still slightly over the full mark. Got to admit it was bugging me.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That is actually good to know. I changed my oil on my 2.0 and it was slightly over the full mark from the factory and after I filled it with 5 quarts it was still slightly over the full mark. Got to admit it was bugging me.
I know, it would bug me, but should not be a problem at all. Now there's peace of mind! Lol!

My 2008 JK 3.8 uses oil sometimes. I would always check it frequently wanting to top it off if even down 1/4 quart. Now when I check it and it is down even a small amount, I'll fill it to about 6.5. That gives me more distance between checks and again, some peace of mind.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Or just putting it on too tight. It is only supposed to be 18 ft. lbs. of torque.
The design of the o-ring seal is unaffected by further torque. The “cracked filter housing” thing is extremely rare.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The design of the o-ring seal is unaffected by further torque. The “cracked filter housing” thing is extremely rare.
Good to know, but there's a reason they specify a specific torque number. Doesn't hurt a thing to do it by the book.

BlueMoose

First Name
Blue
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2023
Occupation
Moose
It’s so easy to change, I don’t know why anyone wastes time taking it to the dealer.🤷‍♂️

Because shop classes disappeared from schools years ago. My father taught me how to change tires, air filters, light bulbs and the like but it was my husband who enlightened me to the fact that it doesn't take a mechanic or an auto shop to change your oil. Then he proceeded to teach me. After trading in my Camry with it's newly designed engine and proprietary Toyota oil & free maintenance program...it's time to refresh & expand those lessons.

And after reading all the issues on here (and our own dealerships/nondealership bad experiences) I'll be attempting to learn as much as possible.

And no dealership (and we have a very good one in town) will be changing my oil for me...free or not.

Sponsored

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
Because shop classes disappeared from schools years ago. My father taught me how to change tires, air filters, light bulbs and the like but it was my husband who enlightened me to the fact that it doesn't take a mechanic or an auto shop to change your oil. Then he proceeded to teach me. After trading in my Camry with it's newly designed engine and proprietary Toyota oil & free maintenance program...it's time to refresh & expand those lessons.

And after reading all the issues on here (and our own dealerships/nondealership bad experiences) I'll be attempting to learn as much as possible.

And no dealership (and we have a very good one in town) will be changing my oil for me...free or not.
While true, almost everything can now be found on the internet. Plenty of videos, instructions, etc. outlining how to perform regular maintenance. Almost no reason to take the vehicle to the dealership for maintenance.

BlueMoose

First Name
Blue
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2023
Occupation
Moose
While true, almost everything can now be found on the internet. Plenty of videos, instructions, etc. outlining how to perform regular maintenance. Almost no reason to take the vehicle to the dealership for maintenance.
I am finding that to be very true. I even plan to do the spark plug change when the time arrives. If I don’t wake up and decide I’m crazy by then :)

Sidewalk

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Because shop classes disappeared from schools years ago.
Pretty sure auto shop was always an elective only, so it didn't really matter. But there are far more resources available to the "self taught tech" then there was back when I took autoshop decades ago, so that's a plus.

My GF's ex didn't seem to teach any of his four kids (or her) anything about working on cars, so I am guessing he doesn't know how either. So it has fallen on to me to do all that. Taught the GF how to change her brakes, saved a few hundred already. Taught the daughter (in her 20's) how to use a clutch so she could take a motorcycle safety class. Had to teach the eldest how to charge her car battery.

I do all my own work, even though I don't actually enjoy it.

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
so i was changing my oil this weekend, like ya do, and my old man requested i leave my spent oil with him as opposed to disposing it at the local auto parts store as i usually do. he wants to use it on his burn pile in the back of his property. is that a thing??

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
so i was changing my oil this weekend, like ya do, and my old man requested i leave my spent oil with him as opposed to disposing it at the local auto parts store as i usually do. he wants to use it on his burn pile in the back of his property. is that a thing??
Yes. We did that to burn everything growing up. We didn't have trash service or anything like that. It's an old school way of doing things before real Waste Management.
Sponsored