Reluctant newbie trading JK for JL

binfordtools

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon. 2019 Grand Cherokee
I traded a 2016 JKU in last March for a 2018 JLU Rubicon. Zero regrets. The Rubicon has been darn near perfect. Small electrical anomaly here and there, but no more or less than any vehicle with a crap-ton of electrical toys on-board. Overall most things were improved over the JK.
Sponsored

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
If you really love your JK I think you’re nuts to dump it for a JL. That said, zero regrets about buying my Rubicon. It’s great. Does it have a few eccentricities? Hell yea. But no problems.

If you’ve driven a Moab and like the ride and accessories, then by all means get one. If no dealers have one, or you’ve only been able to do a short test ride, I’d suggest looking on Turo to see if you can rent a Moab for a day or two and really give it a decent run. That’s what i did when I was thinkng about a Tesla. It’s worth the investment.

Also, like someone else said, when your Jeep comes in, don’t just go for a short ride. Make sure it feels right. Make sure you like the steering. Once you trade your old Jeep in and sign on the line, that’s it.

Good luck

4 Door Havoc

First Name
A A ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Wrangler JLUR Billet Silver
Hello everyone! I have a 2017 JKU 75th anniversary. When I bought it new two years ago it was because I was ready for my first Jeep and didn't want to wait for the upcoming JL. I thought to myself that I would trade later if the new JL flung a craving on me. Well, it has. I like the Moab and I've placed an order today. I'm familiar with the steering issues and other quirks and willing to not let that deter me. However, I can't help wonder if I'm making the right decision. I still think my Anniversary JK is one of the best looking of them all and I'm hoping that the new JL will help me leave it behind without regret. I have a pretty long list of things about the JL that I like and look forward to but still I need some input from you all who have done a similar trade.
I have waffled for days between bright white and firecracker red. I went with red.
For me leaving my JK behind for car was sickening, but for my wife and new child it was done. I picked up my JLUR on Presidents day, and WOW! This new jeep blows my JK out of the water. I lifted the JK 2.5 (the JLUR is already that height) I put 33" tires on the JK (again already on the JL). The electronics in the cab is better then what I had in the Cadillac I just sold. My 2 cents...the JL will not let you down or disappoint.

Tangokilo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Oldsmobile 442, 2001 4runner, 2010 Honda Accord V6 Coupe, 2011 VW Golf, 1969 Triump T100 MC and 2018 JLU Sport S
Your going to love it! My July 18 built JLUSS has been prefect. Thank you boys and girls in Toledo! Tom

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Definitely do an extended test drive before taking delivery, I was sold on the JL just based on looks.

I went in with the intent of ordering a JL, but after the test drive I went home searching for a new leftover JK.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Late model 2018, built in October, the radio wouldn’t turn off one night, had to pull the fuse, then the radio wouldn’t turn on, then the lines in my back up camera disappeared, brought it to the dealership and they could not mimic the problems even though I had video, nothing was founded or resolved...then the radio goes in and out randomly, and every time it rains my brakes squeal the whole time, and loud!!, and every morning I have to drive a while to get them to stop.. honestly it’s very embarrassing, I have a nice looking sting gray rubicon, squealing loudly every time I hit the brakes...other then that so far so good, it’s just hard to explain.. the jk was carefree and AWESOME, this one just doesn't have the same feel, I get it’s warrantied , but there’s so much tech in these new jeeps and I honestly don’t think the dealerships are capable of truly diagnosing/ nor repairing most issues..so it becomes terrifying anticipating anything going wrong...plus the horror stories on this forum can keep you up at night....
I agree. These new cars and trucks have a lot more complexity built in. It's not just FCA, every new vehicle has more technology. The more technology, the more that can possibly go wrong. Something to be said about Keeping It Simple. Some FCA dealers definitely seem to be lacking in terms of how well they properly diagnose and repair problems the first time. The first, second, or third time for that matter. A LOT of dealers simply don't reinvest into their technicians. They don't encourage their techs to attend continuing education to keep up with the latest technologies. I can also see the dealers point because car companies change and add new technology as soon as they can learn about the current tech. It's hard to keep up. I think a lot of car companies have "hot lines" techs can call when they run into problems. This is where FCA probably can improve. FCA can do better interns of supporting it's dealer network. Have you tried a different dealer for your warranty work? Hopefully the radio issues are a simple update.

Brake noise when damp or wet is common. It's fairly easy to diagnose. Not many people report brake noise as a problem for the JL so I don't think it's a wide spread problem.

You might not be driving your JL often enough or using the brakes enough.
With the exception of some really expensive exotics, most brake rotors are made out of cast iron. Cast iron is very prone to rust. Brake rotors will show signs of rust from just sitting over night if its damp or wet. That rust can cause some noise. The noise should go away if you stomp on the brakes after a few hard stops from 40-50mph. That should wear off the rust. Or your brakes were not properly bedded in. Stopping hard 6-8 times from 40-50mph will bed the pads and rotors. Try that first before going to the dealer.

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
interesting. I do just the opposite and rely on my gut feeling and wow factor. I if find a vehicle I like and drive it and it pushes all the right buttons then I purchase it, its worked for me for over 17 vehicles (cars and motorcycles), and I go to the forums after the purchase to pick up tips on the vehicle. Your first instinct is usually correct, if the JL didn't ring your bell and give you warm and fuzzy feelings, then I would pass.

Now having said that, I didn't own a jeep prior to my JL so there was no sentimental factor or things I liked about the previous model issues, and my JL has been stone reliable with none of the steering issues etc., so no regrets there either. I believe you said you placed an order, I would still recommend a few more test drives to give you complete confidence in you decision, or not? either way you are still driving a jeep so no bad decision either way. Good luck!

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Don’t make any major purchase if you’re reluctant. That usually turns to regret. If it’s the right decision, you’ll know it.

alanh2c6

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your headed in the right direction. I traded 2014 JK, Then purchased two additional JL Rubicon. (3) total) Two from dealership and one special order for myself:) No issues at all!

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Hello everyone! I have a 2017 JKU 75th anniversary. When I bought it new two years ago it was because I was ready for my first Jeep and didn't want to wait for the upcoming JL. I thought to myself that I would trade later if the new JL flung a craving on me. Well, it has. I like the Moab and I've placed an order today. I'm familiar with the steering issues and other quirks and willing to not let that deter me. However, I can't help wonder if I'm making the right decision. I still think my Anniversary JK is one of the best looking of them all and I'm hoping that the new JL will help me leave it behind without regret. I have a pretty long list of things about the JL that I like and look forward to but still I need some input from you all who have done a similar trade.
I have waffled for days between bright white and firecracker red. I went with red.
Don't have much insight on your "trade", but a Moab is an excellent choice. And it looks great with red (I've seen one in person and it was pretty sweet). If it was me it would probably just be a matter of if I could get good value from the JK on trade-in. If so, let it go!

BTW - I've seen a few 75th JKs (don't think white but other colors). Not a bad looking Wrangler, but I think my Moab blows it away as far as appearance.

Sponsored

Jeeper Fever

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2-Door Manual JLR
Definitely do an extended test drive before taking delivery, I was sold on the JL just based on looks.

I went in with the intent of ordering a JL, but after the test drive I went home searching for a new leftover JK.
Check the tire pressure via the TPMS on the dash. The dealers nearly always leave it way too high, and the Jeep does not handle well like that. Took my tire pressure down to 28, and the road no longer pulls at the steering.

Froader

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 1978 CJ-7
I went through the same struggle. I had a 2014 JKRU X model in anvil, lifted and setup with some great Maximus-3 add-ons to the X (in 2015 the X became the Hard Rock Edition) and I loved it. 24K mile on it after 4 years and everything was good on it but I really wanted to go with 37's. Then I drove my buddy's JL Rubicon, lift on 37's and that was it. Even with the knowledge of the steering vibration, shimmy, "death wobble" whatever you want to call it, I had done enough research to know that there was ways to address it. So I bought a Rubicon in the Firecracker Red. It was a HUGE upgrade from my JK in every way. I didn't get the steel bumpers though because I wanted better than Mopar's steel bumpers which i had on the JK. Everything about the JL was better. Power, transmission, better larger brakes, refinement inside is beautiful, the Uconnect NAV and Infotainment system with the Alpine speakers is kick-ass, I could go on and on. The Firecracker Red is AWESOME. I lifted it with the Mopar 2.5 and put 37's on it. the 37's pushed my steering around a bit and when I'd hit certain bumps at about 25 mph, I'd get a wobble for a second or two. So I installed a forged Rough Country front adjustable track bar, a Falcon 2.2 Steering Stabilizer and the Teraflex rear track bar bracket to level out the rear trackbar. Now it handles great and the 8-speed transmission does great with the 37's, probably no need to regear but maybe someday. Overall I love it even with the warrantied heater core replacement at 700 miles and the rear defrost wire popping off (still have to get that fixed). Sitting on my garage is a set of bumpers to go on when I have a few hours to do the job. Oh, and I'd also recommend the Rusty's front trackbar frame brace. Even if you have good welds, which you will, this brace is super solid and good peace of mind.

20190206_100241.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jrwfarm

Jrwfarm

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU 75th
I appreciate everyone's honest replies. I have a tendency to get attached to any vehicle to some extent and just always tend to second guess my expensive decisions lol. I expect to love the JL and be glad I traded but every time I look at my JK it makes me wonder.

Anyway, thanks for the positive and encouraging comments as well as great suggestions!

OP
OP
Jrwfarm

Jrwfarm

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU 75th
Here are a couple pics of mine. I kept the seats covered since new because I didn't want to mess up that fish net insert. I don't plan to cover the leather in the Moab because it should be more durable. I removed the seats and carpet to dry it out. The passenger door leaks when it sits out in a rain and the driver side was damp too. There was a puddle on the pass side. Carpet soaked. It only has 13,000 miles on it.

xXEzva1ARgiMI7lLBhfJOA.jpg
57281137187__7AAFB4B0-1322-49FF-87A7-690C88A3A5B8.JPG

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
...I still think my Anniversary JK is one of the best looking of them all...
Welcome to the forums!

Our JL’s design make JK’s look like beaters bro. The JL is such a sharp looking Wrangler in every way! You’ve made the right choice and deep down you know it to be true. If you can’t beatem’, joinem’. Welcome to the family!
Sponsored