Reluctant newbie trading JK for JL

Jrwfarm

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU 75th
Hello everyone! I have a 2017 JKU 75th anniversary. When I bought it new two years ago it was because I was ready for my first Jeep and didn't want to wait for the upcoming JL. I thought to myself that I would trade later if the new JL flung a craving on me. Well, it has. I like the Moab and I've placed an order today. I'm familiar with the steering issues and other quirks and willing to not let that deter me. However, I can't help wonder if I'm making the right decision. I still think my Anniversary JK is one of the best looking of them all and I'm hoping that the new JL will help me leave it behind without regret. I have a pretty long list of things about the JL that I like and look forward to but still I need some input from you all who have done a similar trade.
I have waffled for days between bright white and firecracker red. I went with red.
Sponsored

KingTtn1

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Hello everyone! I have a 2017 JKU 75th anniversary. When I bought it new two years ago it was because I was ready for my first Jeep and didn't want to wait for the upcoming JL. I thought to myself that I would trade later if the new JL flung a craving on me. Well, it has. I like the Moab and I've placed an order today. I'm familiar with the steering issues and other quirks and willing to not let that deter me. However, I can't help wonder if I'm making the right decision. I still think my Anniversary JK is one of the best looking of them all and I'm hoping that the new JL will help me leave it behind without regret. I have a pretty long list of things about the JL that I like and look forward to but still I need some input from you all who have done a similar trade.
I have waffled for days between bright white and firecracker red. I went with red.
You are obviously very intelligent. JK for JL best decision. And picking red, well, just pure genius. Good luck!

USMCBK1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
That’s a tough one.. honestly with my jlu Rubicon, I always feel like I’m walking on eggshells,and just anticipating what’s going to go wrong next, I’ve had and have some minor issues, Radio being one, and brakes squealing being another.. I have to 2.0 and I have to admit it drives amazing, but does leave me kind of paranoid.. so many moving parts, even with all the warranties, it still gets to be pretty nerve racking...when I had my jk, I just drove it and enjoyed it, never had to bring it to the dealership and never over thought anything..I truly wish I had the same feeling about my JL.. but reading the forums and the fear and anxiety that comes with it, sometimes I just regret trading in my jk. With that being said,I do hope that down the road I will get to love and enjoy my jl, but I guess only time will tell....so hopefully so will you

KingTtn1

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
That’s a tough one.. honestly with my jlu Rubicon, I always feel like I’m walking on eggshells,and just anticipating what’s going to go wrong next, I’ve had and have some minor issues, Radio being one, and brakes squealing being another.. I have to 2.0 and I have to admit it drives amazing, but does leave me kind of paranoid.. so many moving parts, even with all the warranties, it still gets to be pretty nerve racking...when I had my jk, I just drove it and enjoyed it, never had to bring it to the dealership and never over thought anything..I truly wish I had the same feeling about my JL.. but reading the forums and the fear and anxiety that comes with it, sometimes I just regret trading in my jk. With that being said,I do hope that down the road I will get to love and enjoy my jl, but I guess only time will tell....so hopefully so will you
My brakes squeal too!! Only after sitting for long time...drives me nuts!!

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I wouldn't unless you test drive thoroughly the Jeep before you buy it because of the steering. Just like dating, the little annoyances in cars you think you can live with turn into gigantic headaches that drive you to drink and regret.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I understand what you mean about walking on eggshells and not being able to enjoy your vehicle. My anxiety was not due to worrying about my car failing. My previous daily driver should have been a garage queen. I was always worried about keeping it super detailed and pristine. I was always worried about where I parked. I hate door dings and scratches. I really never enjoyed it as a daily driver. I also owned a couple of Wranglers in the past. Two of my most enjoyable vehicles were both Wranglers. A TJ and a JK. I never worried about where I parked. I was carefree with them. My TJ was by far the most unreliable car have ever owned but it was still one of my favorites. The fun driving experience over rode my anxiety of being stranded. Try not letting the fear of the unknown ruin your experience with your JL.

When was yours built? What minor issues other then radio and noisy brakes? What was the problem with your radio and was it resolved? Any other issues? Did you ever get stranded? Any issues with the 2.0 engine or eTorque system?

USMCBK1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
I understand what you mean about walking on eggshells and not being able to enjoy your vehicle. My anxiety was not due to worrying about my car failing. My previous daily driver should have been a garage queen. I was always worried about keeping it super detailed and pristine. I was always worried about where I parked. I hate door dings and scratches. I really never enjoyed it as a daily driver. I also owned a couple of Wranglers in the past. Two of my most enjoyable vehicles were both Wranglers. A TJ and a JK. I never worried about where I parked. I was carefree with them. My TJ was by far the most unreliable car have ever owned but it was still one of my favorites. The fun driving experience over rode my anxiety of being stranded. Try not letting the fear of the unknown ruin your experience with your JL.

When was yours built? What minor issues other then radio and noisy brakes? What was the problem with your radio and was it resolved? Any other issues? Did you ever get stranded? Any issues with the 2.0 engine or eTorque system?
Late model 2018, built in October, the radio wouldn’t turn off one night, had to pull the fuse, then the radio wouldn’t turn on, then the lines in my back up camera disappeared, brought it to the dealership and they could not mimic the problems even though I had video, nothing was founded or resolved...then the radio goes in and out randomly, and every time it rains my brakes squeal the whole time, and loud!!, and every morning I have to drive a while to get them to stop.. honestly it’s very embarrassing, I have a nice looking sting gray rubicon, squealing loudly every time I hit the brakes...other then that so far so good, it’s just hard to explain.. the jk was carefree and AWESOME, this one just doesn't have the same feel, I get it’s warrantied , but there’s so much tech in these new jeeps and I honestly don’t think the dealerships are capable of truly diagnosing/ nor repairing most issues..so it becomes terrifying anticipating anything going wrong...plus the horror stories on this forum can keep you up at night....

Chomper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
My brakes squeal too!! Only after sitting for long time...drives me nuts!!
My last two cars (2001 Nissan Sentra, 2008 Nissan Xterra Off Road) had breaks that squealed after sitting a day or two. Usually took a couple stops for the sound to go away. My 2018 JLUS does the same. Same with my fiancee's 2011 Honda Pilot.

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
Had a JK Altitude. Have a JL Rubicon.

Didn’t like the handeling of the JK
Love the handeling of the JL.

No issues, I don’t worry about what others experiences are, but mine has been great.

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
I had a 15 JK that was mildly built and was set to keep but with the addition of our 3rd child, we were always having to use my wife’s JKU so I put an order in for the JLU
Was bit hard moving away from the JK after getting it set up nicely, but having the JLU I don’t even think about the JK anymore. I absolutely love they way the JL handles (I’ve ran steersmarts setup on my JK for the last 3 years and the JL handles way better lol) the power from the new 8 speed and how Incredibley quiet it is
You will love the new platform

67591F5B-86A6-4D7B-B3DE-5F84E1601378.jpeg

Sponsored

bryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini, F250, Forester, 2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The tone of this thread reminds me of a famous quote: "Many of us crucify ourselves between two thieves - regret for the past and fear of the future." (Fulton Oursler)

If fears of road manners and reliability are ruling your happiness, why not consider a 4Runner? Having heard no mention of off-road capability, I can't help but wonder if it wouldn't be a better fit.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I traded in my 2018 JK for a 2019 JL. There are things I like about the JL but at the same time I miss the JK. The JK handled better and I felt more sure of it.

suzookus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I tend to keep my vehicles for at least 5-8 years. I’d be hard pressed to sell a 2017 after a couple years and take that depreciation hit. Most value is lost in the first couple years. If you’re not concerned about that I’d say go for it. I haven’t experienced any steering issues and so far the ride has been awesome.

OP
OP
Jrwfarm

Jrwfarm

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU 75th
I had a 15 JK that was mildly built and was set to keep but with the addition of our 3rd child, we were always having to use my wife’s JKU so I put an order in for the JLU
Was bit hard moving away from the JK after getting it set up nicely, but having the JLU I don’t even think about the JK anymore. I absolutely love they way the JL handles (I’ve ran steersmarts setup on my JK for the last 3 years and the JL handles way better lol) the power from the new 8 speed and how Incredibley quiet it is
You will love the new platform

67591F5B-86A6-4D7B-B3DE-5F84E1601378.jpeg
Thanks Craig, that's good to hear. Awesome rides!
Sponsored