Relocate XM GPS antennas

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
im thinkng of getting a Gobi stealth roof rack one of these days. In several of the threads I’ve read people complained that the racks (and probably the stuff in the racks) degrade the Sirius XM reception.

Has anyone relocated the antenna (it’s up on the crossbar on the roof) or bought an alternate antenna? Also, does putting stuff on the roof hurt GPS reception? Is there an alternative antenna for that?
Sponsored

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
Gobi's installation manual recommends moving the antenna to near the driver's A-pillar. You will need an antenna relocation bracket. Supposedly, the antenna's wire is actually long enough to stretch to the A-pillar, if you unwind the electrical tape that is wound around the antenna wire and adjacent wire leads.

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
i'm looking at relocating my xm antenna. rather than pull the old one and wire off of the sound bar i was just going to use this..
Jeep Wrangler JL Relocate XM GPS antennas 1024_e35e3ad8-2a68-4aaf-a9ff-1e8a1e934fc0_1024x767

... and plug it into the back of the head unit and put the antenna on the dash. does the GPS unit also have to be relocated or can i just not use that part, will i loose features without the GPS box ?

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
so i relocated the xm antenna to on the dash with the above antenna (right side of pic) and the reception still sucks (i have an ikamper skycamp on a gobi rack) and i also lost the gps, so i assume the gps and xm antennas are in one unit above the sound bar.

i guess next go around i'll use the splitter and the gps unit (left side in pic above) and a mirror mount truck xm antenna like this..
Jeep Wrangler JL Relocate XM GPS antennas SRTMM-02

mounted to the gobi rack and hopefully it picks up signal above the skycamp.

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
Sorry to open an old thread but which one of these antenna's is the GPS? Some people say the right one is the XM and gps and others say it's the larger one on the left.
Jeep Wrangler JL Relocate XM GPS antennas 1629890638681

Sponsored

j2dadventures

First Name
Jacq
Threads
Reaction score
Website
j2dxplr.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
We just relocated our Sirius XM antenna today. It is the smaller one on the right. It is specific to the Sirius XM radio.

Sorry to open an old thread but which one of these antenna's is the GPS? Some people say the right one is the XM and gps and others say it's the larger one on the left.
1629890638681.png

j2dadventures

First Name
Jacq
Threads
Reaction score
Website
j2dxplr.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
We had made a little mistake and damaged the yellow connector part of the wiring for it when removing the antenna from the sound bar area. Now we have to wait and purchase a whole new Antenna kit with wires because we also found out the hard way that there is no way to splice and reconnect these type of wires.

So, during my research to purchase a replacement, I found out that this antenna has both SiriusXM and GPS antennas built into its housing.

Okay, thank you!

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
We had made a little mistake and damaged the yellow connector part of the wiring for it when removing the antenna from the sound bar area. Now we have to wait and purchase a whole new Antenna kit with wires because we also found out the hard way that there is no way to splice and reconnect these type of wires.

So, during my research to purchase a replacement, I found out that this antenna has both SiriusXM and GPS antennas built into its housing.
Man that sucks, hard lesson!

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Jeep Wrangler JL Relocate XM GPS antennas 1629890638681
Antenna on the right is the SXM/GPS antenna, one on the left is the Cell antenna.
Gregj
Sponsored