Sponsored

Reliability of 2.0T versus 3.6 etorque?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Those same mechanics that are still putting 6 quarts of oil in a 5 quart engine, and we're on the 5th model year? It's because they are generally to lazy to expand their knowledge about what they are paid to work on. You might as well have asked the janitor for his opinion.
We certainly can have issues with incompetent dealer staff at all levels. And there are probably prima donnas. In fairness most oil changes at dealers are not done by actual mechanics. Most dealers have a two or even a three-tier shop. Master mechanics all the way down to the people who do oil changes. Most oil and tire services are done by poorly trained entry level oil technicians. I blame the management for not properly training the oil change techs. They can learn if they are tought properly. I mean how hard is it to go over the proper way to check a VIN or data sheet for the correct type filter, oil, quantity.
Sponsored

7c102c600853ce38121

First Name
Marek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 EU JLUR
That equals a dense concentration of gathered problems that on the surface will look like the sky is falling down on Jeep, when in reality this forum only represents a very small percentage of the actual Jeep population.
This. It's like this literally everywhere, on every forum dedicated to specific vehicle. Before Jeep I've bought a motorcycle, BMW R1200GS, and gosh oh gosh, what a piece of crap that.. was supposed to be, at least from reading forums. Unreliable nightmare. Three years later I've clocked 70k happy kilometres without issues.

It's also why most Jeeps on this forum are quite built up, yet most Jeeps seen in the real world are fully stock or much closer to it.
Which 4x4 will go furthest without a breakdown? Least modded one :)

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
We certainly can have issues with incompetent dealer staff at all levels. And there are probably prima donnas. In fairness most oil changes at dealers are not done by actual mechanics. Most dealers have a two or even a three-tier shop. Master mechanics all the way down to the people who do oil changes. Most oil and tire services are done by poorly trained entry level oil technicians. I blame the management for not properly training the oil change techs. They can learn if they are tought properly. I mean how hard is it to go over the proper way to check a VIN or data sheet for the correct type filter, oil, quantity.
Years back, I worked at the highest volume Toyota dealership in the northeast. From that sample size of one, I fully agree with you about there being multiple tiers of mechanic based off of tenure coupled with their individual track record and participation in yearly training courses to update knowledge on model changes. The hitch in the giddy up was that the upper tiers of mechanics were supposed to help the green horns (mostly persons looking to move up in potential pay from the new vehicle prep dept) build their knowledge through hands on work on customers vehicles, but were given no incentive to ease the added work load. This left the new guys to mostly learn by trial and lots of error, and subsequent pissed off customers. I could start a thread about the stories I've heard and seen. I'm also a former diesel mechanic of about 30 years in the private sector.

I'll stick with my main overall point, which can't be said enough, that both engines are proving to be great options. They both offer their own distinct feel in drive ability, so I highly recommend to anyone to spend the time to drive at least a couple different jeeps with each engine. One of each can be a crapshoot, as I personally ran across a smattering of each that didn't feel right, so those particular Jeeps did not properly represent their respective engine well. After that, one can confidently choose whichever one fits their own wants/needs.

vegasblue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
mY eNgInE iS mOrE rElIaBlE....all while nearly all of us mod our Jeeps to our hearts content fully knowing the warranty is "questionable" at this point. Even the stock fellas taking their junk off road run the risk of extreme use causing a warranty void. I've said it since I started turning wrenches, all vehicles are shitboxes. Wife's STI? Shitbox. Super reliable 4Runner? Shitbox. Just do your maintenance, keep the beatings under control somewhat and any engine will net you over 100K these days. Shit goes sideways? Learn how to fix it. Worried about reliability? WHUT DA HHHELL you buy a Jeep for? Go get a Corolla. Or an Accord. Different shitboxes, less problems. Damn.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Which 4x4 will go furthest without a breakdown? Least modded one :)
That really depends on the specific build. If only the bare minimum is spent towards the larger lift and tires, than yes, that person will certainly be back "in there" chasing the weak link all the way to the end of the chain. If one is willing to be proactive and pay equal or more attention towards supportive parts, those untimely breakdowns can be drastically reduced or even fully avoided.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Those same mechanics that are still putting 6 quarts of oil in a 5 quart engine, and we're on the 5th model year? It's because they are generally to lazy to expand their knowledge about what they are paid to work on. You might as well have asked the janitor for his opinion.
Mechanics don't do the oil changes. That'd be a silly allocation of human capital. No dealer does that.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Mechanics don't do the oil changes. That'd be a silly allocation of human capital. No dealer does that.
Well yeah. I followed up with that post a few posts up. I was originally trying to use a commonly known example of the typical dealer service department level of know how. The issues and repair subforum is filled with relatively simple to fix problems, that dealers all across the country couldn't nail down after several visits. I just wanted to point out that it's not the wisest move to act on the word of a doomsday speaking dealer tech. This forum is like a widespread net for catching enthusiasts and those looking for help with problems. If there's ever a common issue that pops up, we'd see it here before any individual dealer. If a specific dealer was seeing a reoccurring issue over multiple Jeeps, it's more than likely their own doing.
Sponsored