Sponsored

Reliability of 2.0T versus 3.6 etorque?

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
Here's something I've noticed while I was looking into putting a catch can on my 2.0.
From everything I've seen from those who have, the 2.0 produces almost zero blow by - so little that I decided it wasn't worth the cost -while the 3.6 can produce quite a bit.
That's great news for the 2.0 longevity as excessive blow by can be very troublesome for DI engines.
Sponsored

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

That combo will put a smile on your face every time you drive it. The V6 loves to rev and pulls hard off the line and keeps pulling harder right to red line. There's a very noticeable kick in the pants as you hit 4500 rpm, too. I think that's the 2nd stage of the VVT. Anyway, I drive mine hard all the time because it is so much fun. And that six likes it. I've owned many manuals over the years, including Jeeps and sports cars and this combo is my favorite of them all. I think you'll be glad you went that way!
Hmmm... I installed a throttle controler and never have to go above 3000 RPM (and now have the use of 5th and 6th gear (OK, 6th is still a little useless, but 5th works great)). Looking forward to checking out the VVT 4,500 kick today!

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
Something I was wondering about...

The two-stage oil pump (low and stable oil pressure at idle, but a higher second stage oil pressure that increases relative to engine load), is that feature exclusive to the 2.0L or do both engines share that design?

Sponsored

Jhawth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I really like my 2.0t. Guess we'll see how reliable it is, if it's not then I'll have a perfect excuse to put a different motor in there! v8? turbo v6? I wish the turbo was louder, more Suuutututu Jeep, MORE SUUUTUTUTU!!!!!!!!!!

I was initially planning on the 3.6 but when I was buying my Jeep the 3.6 only came with e-torque so easy decision to pass on the 3.6.

I dip my baby Jeep in a pool of fluid film each night before bed time. I'm planning on keeping it for a long time so at some point a motor swap will happen.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I really like my 2.0t. Guess we'll see how reliable it is, if it's not then I'll have a perfect excuse to put a different motor in there! v8? turbo v6? I wish the turbo was louder, more Suuutututu Jeep, MORE SUUUTUTUTU!!!!!!!!!!

I was initially planning on the 3.6 but when I was buying my Jeep the 3.6 only came with e-torque so easy decision to pass on the 3.6.

I dip my baby Jeep in a pool of fluid film each night before bed time. I'm planning on keeping it for a long time so at some point a motor swap will happen.
Same plan here. As long as the body and frame are still sound, a stronger engine with more torque than my current 2.0 will power the Jeeps 2nd life. Until then, I'm beefing everything else up in anticipation of a larger output engine and transmission.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
No replacement for displacement.
Technology is the replacement for displacement.
Model T: 2.9 liters, 20 HP (6.9 HP/liter)​
Vespa GTS: 0.278 liters, 23.8 HP (85.6 HP/liter)​

Glad I'm not the only one who enjoys that kick.

Jeep Wrangler JL Reliability of 2.0T versus 3.6 etorque? 1638622660917
Former S2000 owner here. Third gear VTEC kick would break the tires loose in the rain... not just a chirp but full on traction loss until throttle lift. A good tune made the kick unnoticeable (smoother power delivery), which I assume would work the same for any VVT motor.

Awesome car, highly recommend.

jeep-v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0T
But I agree, turbos can still be very reliable and durable. But they have to get the whole package right for that to happen, and many have. But many have not. I think so far it looks like Jeep nailed it with the 2.0. And from what I've been told, they worked VERY hard at it with the Wrangler application, testing the hell out of it in more adverse conditions than they would for any other type of vehicle.
Dealer told me they have to replace engine and the next best news - it would not be covered by warranty! When I asked what is wrong with it - I got very hi-tech explanation: "something wrong with it internally, is has to be replaced". Sure, when you place an owner on the hook to pay $12K - that should be enough explanation, lol. Awesome service, great technicians and splendid care by manufacturer! Basically, if you buy used Jeep other then CPO from the Jeep dealer and you assume it is under warranty - the dealers are trained for tricks how to wiggle out of warranty claims in those situations. The burden is upon you to obtain official manufacturer document(s) verifying it is indeed under warranty before you make purchase. Do not ask what are those as I do not know. In facts, that is what they spent time (2-days) figuring out the details to deny warranty, not much of figuring out what is wrong with the engine, though.

So there you have it for 2.0L Turbo reliability and awesome support by the dealer.

Do not feel sorry for me as I could take care of this myself and probably even enjoy doing it. I feel sorry for folks who could not and would be reaped off by the dealers. JL series would start dropping off the powertrain warranty starting in 2022. I am lucky, because of timing - all JL are under warranty, so I was able to scoop "new" engine and transmission in perfect working condition out of brand new and under warranty (before it was removed) Rubicon with a few K miles for peanuts.

There is no need to replace engine right now and most likely any time soon, so I will just drive it until it is time to swap. My Jeep makes me money, so in 20K miles - it would repay itself, so I do not really care.

Last edited:

jeep-v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0T
Former S2000 owner here. Third gear VTEC kick would break the tires loose in the rain... not just a chirp but full on traction loss until throttle lift. A good tune made the kick unnoticeable (smoother power delivery), which I assume would work the same for any VVT motor.

Awesome car, highly recommend.
Funny, all I need to do on my 2.0L Rubicon is to apply 40% of throttle and my rear end is free from the road even at 50MPH when driving on the slightly damp highway (not even wet-wet). I am not even talking about rain and turns.

Last edited:

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Funny, all I need to do on my 2.0L Rubicon is to apply 40% of throttle and my rear end is free from the road even at 50MPH when driving on the slightly damp highway (not even wet-wet). I am not even talking about rain and turns.
The 2.0 has about twice as much torque as the S2000, and the DBW tuning on the 2.0 is a little bit "aggressive" IMO (just because you give 40% throttle doesn't mean the ECU isn't commanding something much higher). I absolutely agree that the 2.0 Rubicon is questionably dangerous in the rain, but I don't drive mine nearly as hard as the S2000 I owned (or the MX-5 that replaced it).

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
The 2.0 has about twice as much torque as the S2000, and the DBW tuning on the 2.0 is a little bit "aggressive" IMO (just because you give 40% throttle doesn't mean the ECU isn't commanding something much higher). I absolutely agree that the 2.0 Rubicon is questionably dangerous in the rain, but I don't drive mine nearly as hard as the S2000 I owned (or the MX-5 that replaced it).
It’s only dangerous based on the skill of the driver.

We all passionately love our Jeeps and consider them to be family members - but in the end, they are just tools. We have to learn how to safely handle each tool. Vehicles are no different. Enhanced capability, or decreased capability - BOTH can result in safety issues, so it is imperative that we learn the capabilities and limitations of each tool, and use them without exceeding the safety parameters for each tool.

This is how I have approached learning each vehicle we have ever owned, and in the military, for each of the plethora of vehicles I was licensed to drive.

I am on my second 2.0T Jeep; the first, an eTorque Sport, the current a non-eTorque Rubicon. My wife’s Jeep is an eTorque 3.6 Sahara. All three Jeeps have been OUTSTANDING, but each different, which required learning how to use each to its fullest capacity but in a safe manner.

jeep-v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0T
It’s only dangerous based on the skill of the driver.
True and the fact is - most drivers are average. When driver is not familiar with Jeep handling "deficiencies" on the paved roads (the last place you would expect problems) - it becomes a dangerous one in certain situations when those drivers are behind wheels. For those who knows - it is just an annoyances that are perfectly aligned with "it is just a Jeep" phrase.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
What tires are you guys running? It very well could be

Mine lost grip easily in the wet with K02s, at least early in a rain. As the road surface cleans, they improve. The Grabber X3s only Jeep now are much better in the wet.

jeep-v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0T
What tires are you guys running? It very well could be

Mine lost grip easily in the wet with K02s, at least early in a rain. As the road surface cleans, they improve. The Grabber X3s only Jeep now are much better in the wet.
The tires are possible area for improvement (OEM K02). I am thinking to forgo AT tires and switch to normal ones from Michelin. Also, there is a gap in understanding because of the way 2.0L engine delivers torque vs. 3.6L. So folks with 3.6L maybe wondering from their point of view, but it is not the same as 2.0L. It is very possible, I would be fine with rain, OEM tires and overall stability with V6. But 2.0L feels like it was an under thought based on its handling.

It is also possible Sport and Sahara do not have those issues, because of they have different final gear ratio, so they are less torquier (~10%) vs. Rubicon and it may be a good thing after all.

So keep this in mind when making buying decision. Try to drive each in rain and you should get an idea which one is better. It is not just an engine as you might see.
Sponsored

Last edited: