Reliability of 2.0T versus 3.6 etorque?

OBD

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jl Wrangler ,2016Soul,Dyna,Sportster,HD
The safest bet......3.6! Your money ,your choice!
Sponsored

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
Go back and reread yours and my initial posts in this thread. You came across as strongly against a particular engine. But I'm the fanatical one, right? You claimed that all 4 cylinder engines shake horribly. But I'm the one guilty of making false claims, right? I simply stated that out of many many test drives before ordering mine, I came across rough idlers on both engines. I didn't come across as having 3.6 hatred, like you have against the 2.0.
I did go back and re-read not only this thread, but two other threads where you go on about how the 2.0l is "just better". That's the reason i've already lost my patience with you. You have had, and continue to have quite a bit of arrogance in your posts.

I mean just look at the 700 word post of yours that resulted from me stating three simple facts - the 2.0l has less low-end torque than the 3.6l, the 2.0l is less refined (nvh) than the 3.6l, and the 2.0l is more complex than the 3.6l. These are not things that are debatable...they are unavoidable results of the design of the respective engines. They are not particular to these two engines...look at any comparable engines from any other automaker and you'll find the same thing. Any mechanic - even the new kid at the corner gas station who hasn't yet wrenched on a 2012+ model vehicle could tell you this. You don't need 30+ years of experience (like you) or engineering degrees (like me) to know it.

The rest of your post is more of the same - "I am a mechanic so I know more than you". You have some cool toys, but comparing working on those machines to working on a 2021 JL is like comparing building a skyscraper to building an aircraft carrier. Not remotely the same.

Last edited:

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I believe that! But the batteries are not considered part of the engine, even though it won't function without it. It is a separate system.

Btw, does the 2.0 non-etorque have a similar battery setup to the ESS 3.6?

I think a big part of the issue with ESS is the low quality of OEM batteries. Many fail in 3 years. My cousin's 2018 JK OEM battery failed at 3.25, right after the bumper to bumper warranty expired. 😟

I've had no troubles but did do as you suggest and replaced the original batteries at 3 years. The little one was replaced with a Die Hard AGM and the big one with an Odyssey pure lead AGM. That Odyssey should go for 10 years.
My point is I think engine choice is a lot less significant as far as reliability. I think the Achilles Heel of the Wrangler is the ESS start-stop system and the 12V Aux battery. Owners are far more likely to be left on the side of the road by a ESS battery/charging issue than probably anything else. Definitely much more probable than any of the engine choices. I agree the 12V aux battery is possibly a lower quality than it should be. I think routine replacement every 3-4 years would head off most issues. I would definitely replace BOTH the main battery and the aux battery at the same time. Replacing both batteries before they go bad should prevent most if not all of the ESS related problems.

Hopefully there have been running improvements with the ESS design and battery QC. I think there have been some changes since 2018 that make the ESS work better and more reliable.

I am not sure my old 2019 2.0 eTorque system is the same as the 2022 eTorque system I will be getting in my 2022 JLT 3.6 eTorque?

Personally I really think both the 3.6 and 2.0 are very good engines. I believe both are very reliable and durable as far as modern engines are concerned. I would not hesitate to own either. I think regular oil changes and routine service will take any engine to 200K miles. Just about any modern engine should easily run to 200K miles with regular and proper oil changes and routine service. More than likely the electronics or other engine peripherals will fail before the actual engine long block.

Last edited:

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
My point is I think engine choice is a lot less significant as far as reliability. I think the Achilles Heel of the Wrangler is the ESS start-stop system and the 12V Aux battery. Owners are far more likely to be left on the side of the road by a ESS battery/charging issue than probably anything else.

Just about any modern engine should easily run to 200K miles with regular and proper oil changes and routine service. More than likely the electronics or other engine peripherals will fail before the actual engine long block.
Just wanted to quote this to emphasize. This is something that so many just fail to grasp. When we talk about concerns over the reliability of either engine, it's not the block/pistons/valvetrain/intake we are talking about. It's all the extended components and controls that are packaged with the motor that will fail.

NYJeepGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Question. Which engine will be cheaper to fix if there are issues? Isn’t the V6 a much more common engine in the U.S. (used on other FCA products as well)? Does that mean more mechanics will be used to it & parts will be cheaper? If it’s less complex, does that mean cheaper to fix?

Sponsored

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Yeah I thought that too...but i'm not going to dwell on it cause it's irrelevant. Doesn't matter if he claims to have driven every single JL ever made for "testing purposes"...it's still just one guy's opinion.

Question. Which engine will be cheaper to fix if there are issues? Isn’t the V6 a much more common engine in the U.S. (used on other FCA products as well)? Does that mean more mechanics will be used to it & parts will be cheaper? If it’s less complex, does that mean cheaper to fix?
Likely yes, however I wouldn't expect it to be CHEAPER to fix. You might save money by it needing less work, but there's no reason to expect parts to be cheaper. Less complexity and "newness" should equate to better reliability...but we really have no way to say with any confidence at this point because the 2.0's have barely hit the 100k mile mark and the 3.6's have all been saddled with eTorque now.

jeep-v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0T
I am heading to dealer with my 2019 2.0T Rubicon. The engine seems to be rattling at the load at high RPM and now it makes clanking noise at idle for the first 5 miles. I have no idea what is causing it, but I rented Jeep on vacation a few weeks ago and wanted to try V6, but they had all Jeep Sport wit 2.0T and after driving it for over 150 miles on unpaved roads - the engine noise was normal on rental, not like mine "rattle snake" at all. The power train is under warranty, so will see what they would do with it.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
While I get that people are concerned about longevity, I would say that by and large, the days of engines exploding are long done.
I don't think that Jeep has made a "terrible" engine since the 3.8.
There is a good reason that nearly every car maker in the world uses a 2 liter engine. You can get plenty of power and it's reliable.
3.6 is also a great engine.
I would not be worried about either in terms of reliability. I would more concerned with depreciation.
For example here, in 5 years it may be hard to give the 3.6 away. You can buy them from importers legally, but they only meet Euro5 emissions standards, so likely they will not be allowed to drive in most city centers. The new 2.0T meets Euro6D, so it will be unrestricted.
In US though, resale values may be totally the opposite though.

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
Two items I found worth mentioning:

MultiAir and MultiAir-II:
They didn't include MultiAir II on the 2.0L engine, a system designed to deliver both increased fuel-efficiency and performance. But given the problems seen with MultiAir and MultiAri-II on other engines, I'd like to think of it as a good sign that Jeep focused more on reliability and longevity when deciding on which of their new engines designs would be headed for the Wrangler.

A less aggressively tuned turbo:
The actual torque and horsepower of the 2.0L engine was considerably less than the mid-300's horsepower that was initially rumored. A turbo's tune can be as mild or as aggressive as the manufacturer wants, and Jeep ended up giving the Wrangler's 2.0L turbo a more mild tune. This is an obvious nod to a reliability-first mentality. It's worth noting that if you're looking to gain back an additional 40 HP and 50 ft-lb of torque, the JB4 team settled on that level when balancing a little more towards performance than reliability. Of course, there's no such trade-off in the 3.6L, as it is a naturally aspirated engine.

As has been said over and over again, time is going to be the real judge of engine reliability. So far, the 2.0L has held up, but for what it is worth, I thought those two design elements to be noteworthy.

Sponsored

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
Btw, does the 2.0 non-etorque have a similar battery setup to the ESS 3.6?
A 2.0L without eTorque shares the same two 12V battery configuration as the 3.6L without eTorque. And both have ESS based off of the BSG (that's the belt-driven starter/generator rather than the eTorque motor (with high-voltage battery pack).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but all Wranglers have ESS, the only question is if ESS is driven by eTorque or BSG.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
But no, you chose to stick out your tongue and yell NEENER NEENER NEENER. Better luck next time I guess.

That's the reason i've already lost my patience with you. You have had, and continue to have quite a bit of arrogance in your posts.
Can you please stop the trolling posts its aggravating and wearing. I tried to give you a hint by admitting how dumb I am and that did not work.

So now I will be direct. It is a disservice to the forum and irritating to the members here. You can have an opinion. However this backhanded trolling needs to stop. Can you do that as a favor to all of us please?

I will man up and apologize in advance for getting caught in it. I would not expect the same from you but if you stop that will be enough.

Unlike you I don't enjoy re-hashing the same argument over and over when its clear nothing positive will come of it.
Then please take your own advice.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
No replacement for displacement.

What are you trying to find with the wash plant?
No, I'm not filming gold rush episodes over here. Similar equipment and process, minus the sluice boxes and having to break ground to find the pay material. I run a wholesale processing and packaging organic mulch company. I'm one of several franchises spread around northeast US and southeast Canada.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Can you please stop the trolling posts its aggravating and wearing. I tried to give you a hint by admitting how dumb I am and that did not work.

So now I will be direct. It is a disservice to the forum and irritating to the members here. You can have an opinion. However this backhanded trolling needs to stop. Can you do that as a favor to all of us please?
Oh give it up Chris. What a pile of BS. You and Mike came in to this thread attacking anyone daring to question the 2.0. I'm not letting you project your nonsense on to me. I tried to be cordial with you but you are incapable of conceding anything...you just resort to childish outbursts. Remember this all started because I said NVH is an important factor in deciding which engine to buy (and you trolled that comment, in fact). That's it.

I've had productive discussions with countless other members in these threads. Look at AnnDee for instance...he's in every one of these threads too, and he disagrees with me too, but we get along just fine, and even just settled one of our long-running arguments. That's not trolling, that's what adults do.

If you put forth the effort we can get along, if you don't want to do that, fine, but don't blame me for it.

Last edited:

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
A couple of local dealers let me have free reign over their fob lock boxes. Only thing that was asked was to not put more than about 20 miles on each jeep. My choice was made from day one, but I was having too much fun. Plus, there's benefits from getting to rack some mileage and time to get acquainted with something before committing to it. How much value can be had from the typical 10 minute drive with a salesman chewing your ear off the whole time.
Sponsored