Sponsored

Reliability of 2.0T versus 3.6 etorque?

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
A couple of local dealers let me have free reign over their fob lock boxes. Only thing that was asked was to not put more than about 20 miles on each jeep. My choice was made from day one, but I was having too much fun. Plus, there's benefits from getting to rack some mileage and time to get acquainted with something before committing to it. How much value can be had from the typical 10 minute drive with a salesman chewing your ear off the whole time.
So you drove 120 Jeeps??

This is one of the most bizarre stories I’ve ever heard.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
A 2.0L without eTorque shares the same two 12V battery configuration as the 3.6L without eTorque. And both have ESS based off of the BSG (that's the belt-driven starter/generator rather than the eTorque motor (with high-voltage battery pack).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but all Wranglers have ESS, the only question is if ESS is driven by eTorque or BSG.
All Wranglers have Automatic Stop Start systems. ESS (Electronic Stop Start) has both a main 12v battery and a smaller series auxiliary 12v battery. It utilizes a beefed up starter motor for both cold starts and stop/start events. It has a typical alternator for charging.

BSG (Belt Start Generator), also called eTorque, has a 12v main battery and a second liquid cooled 48v battery pack. A 12v starter motor handles cold starts, and the 48v battery pack handles stop/start events by discharging a capacitive electrical pulse to a belt driven generator that spins the front of the crankshaft to start the engine vs the starter motor that spins the crankshaft from the flywheel end.

Last edited:

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
Reliability/Longevity, Hmmmmmmmmm In MHO there really is no way to debate this between the 2.0L and the 3.6. Even though the 3.6 received considerable updates in 2016 unless they really messed it up, which I doubt it should be good to go for a lot of care free miles, just like before they updated things.

However the thing that erks me sometimes, (Probably shouldn't knowing that cuteness and color are the two biggest determining factors in America when somebody goes to buy an new car, another words most people don't know crap about any cars) Is peoples lack of knowledge about turbocharged vehicles in general. Yes, of course they are more complicated, they have this simple little device called a turbocharger on them. The thing is they have been used for so long, with good reliability, in so many applications it would just take too long to list them all.

Just one example is my factory turbocharged truck at home, speaking of just the turbocharger it has 276K on it, and the Hollstat turbo has never been touched. I am not saying the 2.0L is going to outlast the 3.6 with less problems. What I am saying is pervious turbocharged engines of every sort have a very long track record of longevity and reliability already established. Lets hope they did a good job with the 2.0L and it will go down as one of the best engines ever put into a Wrangler.

What I will say is this though, if you want a more spirited driving experience, more peppy feeling of acceleration, and just a overall more fun driving experience in the Wrangler the 2.0L Turbo does a better job of delivering that than the 3.6. So in this aspect it makes the 2.0L a better engine. If it blows up down the road, (Which I doubt) oh well, I had a lot more fun before it did.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
So you drove 120 Jeeps??

This is one of the most bizarre stories I’ve ever heard.
I wouldn't have thought it bizarre, but ok. I've simply made a lot of friends from all walks of life. Like I said, how much can be gotten from a quick spin while someone's pitching in your ear the whole time? I was able to get more intimate with the product, while having a lot of fun that only cost me some otherwise free time.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Question. Which engine will be cheaper to fix if there are issues? Isn’t the V6 a much more common engine in the U.S. (used on other FCA products as well)? Does that mean more mechanics will be used to it & parts will be cheaper? If it’s less complex, does that mean cheaper to fix?
Not just that, but ANYBODY can work on it. Every shop has seen Pentastars. And I'm told by mechanics that they are pretty straight forward to work on. (Not saying the 2.0 isn't.)

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Reliability/Longevity, Hmmmmmmmmm In MHO there really is no way to debate this between the 2.0L and the 3.6. Even though the 3.6 received considerable updates in 2016 unless they really messed it up, which I doubt it should be good to go for a lot of care free miles, just like before they updated things.

However the thing that erks me sometimes, (Probably shouldn't knowing that cuteness and color are the two biggest determining factors in America when somebody goes to buy an new car, another words most people don't know crap about any cars) Is peoples lack of knowledge about turbocharged vehicles in general. Yes, of course they are more complicated, they have this simple little device called a turbocharger on them. The thing is they have been used for so long, with good reliability, in so many applications it would just take too long to list them all.

Just one example is my factory turbocharged truck at home, speaking of just the turbocharger it has 276K on it, and the Hollstat turbo has never been touched. I am not saying the 2.0L is going to outlast the 3.6 with less problems. What I am saying is pervious turbocharged engines of every sort have a very long track record of longevity and reliability already established. Lets hope they did a good job with the 2.0L and it will go down as one of the best engines ever put into a Wrangler.

What I will say is this though, if you want a more spirited driving experience, more peppy feeling of acceleration, and just a overall more fun driving experience in the Wrangler the 2.0L Turbo does a better job of delivering that than the 3.6. So in this aspect it makes the 2.0L a better engine. If it blows up down the road, (Which I doubt) oh well, I had a lot more fun before it did.
Yes, turbos have been very durable in commercial diesel applications forever. BUT, the complexity isn't just the turbo, it is also the direct injection, which has been a problematic combo in many (not all) engines with both. So much so that they had to reformulate oils to deal with some of them, such as LSPI and particulates that can cause premature wear to timing belts. (API SN and SN+ and GM's Dexos 1 Gen 2)

Also, turbos (especially with DI) are less forgiving of lax maintenance practices. They are harder on motor oil, for example. I'd be less worried running lower tier oil in a Pentastar than I would in a 2.0, for example. For example, I'd expect oil with 10k miles on it in a 3.6 will have less fuel dilution than an oil with 10k on the 2.0. Its viscosity will have sheared more, too. So oil has a harder life in that engine. That said, with high quality oil changed at say, every 5k, it won't likely cause any issues or premature wear. At the end of the day, you are pumping similar power out of a much smaller engine. So if I were recommending it to someone I knew was less disciplined about maintenance, I'd point them toward the 3.6.

But I agree, turbos can still be very reliable and durable. But they have to get the whole package right for that to happen, and many have. But many have not. I think so far it looks like Jeep nailed it with the 2.0. And from what I've been told, they worked VERY hard at it with the Wrangler application, testing the hell out of it in more adverse conditions than they would for any other type of vehicle.

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dan, thanks for chiming in. 100% agree with everything you stated, including pointing someone towards a N/A type engine if they may lean towards not keeping up with the maintenance. I left all this out because again the lack of education people have about their vehicles. I am sure we could go on and on.

Myself I am a freak about taking care of my stuff. Oil and filter changes will always be between 3 and 5 K as well as keeping up with other maintenance.

Great points though, thanks.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Dan, thanks for chiming in. 100% agree with everything you stated, including pointing someone towards a N/A type engine if they may lean towards not keeping up with the maintenance. I left all this out because again the lack of education people have about their vehicles. I am sure we could go on and on.

Myself I am a freak about taking care of my stuff. Oil and filter changes will always be between 3 and 5 K as well as keeping up with other maintenance.

Great points though, thanks.
Me, too! I have settled in to 5k changes on my 3.6 even though I know darned well it can go with the oil life monitor. I'm just OCD about it. Oil Compulsive Disorder. Lol!

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think your 3.6 will have a long life. I try to tell people, oil and filter changes are the cheapest maintenance you will ever do.

Slightly off topic, but I have a 1984 Kawasaki 750 factory turbo. It is only air and oil cooled and is a long way from stock so I change the oil and filter every thousand miles. At the 10K mark my engine builder and I did a valve adjustment. Upon disassembly the engine looked spectacular on the top end, super clean, almost zero visible wear on anything. It still had visible cross hatching on the cam caps.

Change your oil and filter like you should. It matters.

Had to post a pic. OP sorry for the slight hyjack.

20200502_104525.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
I think your 3.6 will have a long life. I try to tell people, oil and filter changes are the cheapest maintenance you will ever do.

Slightly off topic, but I have a 1984 Kawasaki 750 factory turbo. It is only air and oil cooled and is a long way from stock so I change the oil and filter every thousand miles. At the 10K mark my engine builder and I did a valve adjustment. Upon disassembly the engine looked spectacular on the top end, super clean, almost zero visible wear on anything. It still had visible cross hatching on the cam caps.

Change your oil and filter like you should. It matters.

Had to post a pic. OP sorry for the slight hyjack.

Jeep Wrangler JL Reliability of 2.0T versus 3.6 etorque? 20200502_104525
WOWEE Darrel!! That is a fine example of a KZ750 turbo!! Most have been crashed. They are a real handful in the twists.

Another one that is rare is the KZ 1000 Turbo with coffin tank. That was an aftermarket company that made a deal with Kawasaki to sell them at the dealers brand new.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
Me, too! I have settled in to 5k changes on my 3.6 even though I know darned well it can go with the oil life monitor. I'm just OCD about it. Oil Compulsive Disorder. Lol!
This is why I switched to using full synthetic for all my vehicles about 10 years ago. Overkill yes, but it's not that big of a price difference and I don't have to obsess over oil changes as much. I have pretty severe OCD (the real deal, not the excuse to be anal type of OCD) so simple little things like this go a long way to reduce stress.

NYJeepGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Not just that, but ANYBODY can work on it. Every shop has seen Pentastars. And I'm told by mechanics that they are pretty straight forward to work on. (Not saying the 2.0 isn't.)
Thanks. Good to know. I’ll be getting the V6. Well, not like I have a choice. I’m getting a manual…

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ollie, thanks. Yes getting pretty rare. 38 years old now. And yes the 1000 version is even more rare that was made before the 750 but because it was outsourced for the turbo Kawasaki didn't warranty it. I have seen one, and it was many years ago.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. Good to know. I’ll be getting the V6. Well, not like I have a choice. I’m getting a manual…
That combo will put a smile on your face every time you drive it. The V6 loves to rev and pulls hard off the line and keeps pulling harder right to red line. There's a very noticeable kick in the pants as you hit 4500 rpm, too. I think that's the 2nd stage of the VVT. Anyway, I drive mine hard all the time because it is so much fun. And that six likes it. I've owned many manuals over the years, including Jeeps and sports cars and this combo is my favorite of them all. I think you'll be glad you went that way!
Sponsored