First Name
Monica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2021 Wrangler High Altitude.
Occupation
Self employed
Switching from a 6.4L SRT to a Wrangler. Rented a Wrangler to try it out. A basic Sahara. 2.0 L T
Drove well. Fun to drive. But sounded terrible like it was about to self destruct (38,000 km) Unexpected. Tried a Diesel (too expensive but nice) and a V6 (did not feel as preppy). Rented a Wrangler a second time. 2.0L again. Drove well too and did not sound like the first rental at all! Yes, no V6, but the sound was mechanical and totally ok (also about 40,000 km).
Rentals get used hard - now wondering if the first 2.0L T was in fact damaged (not well maintained) because the second rental Jeep sounded much more ok

question: what is your reliability and maintenance experience with the 2.0L T? Do you use super gas?

About to order a 2022 Wrangler and now leaning towards the 2.0L T. Want a fun and reliable daily driver.

Thanks
Sponsored

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler unlimited rubicon
Go with the 2.0

If you search this forum you will find that this topic has been beaten to death multiple times.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
My 2019 JLUR with the 2.0 and 8-speed has been fantastic. There's about 56k on the odometer and there hasn't been a single issue or even any signs of one to come. It can run on 87, but gets optimum performance on hot days and/or towing with 91 or better. I do filter and 5/30 full synthetic pennzoil ultra platinum oil changes every 5k. It doesn't burn, or otherwise lose, so much as a drip of oil between changes. Also, it got 35x12.5's and 2" lift at the 10k mark, 38x13.5's and 4" lift at 20k, and didn't start feeling the possible need of a regear until a recent change to 40x13.5's.

It's a great engine in my opinion and experience so far. It's got a definite torque advantage in the low and mid rpm ranges when compared to the 3.6, but doesn't suffer the added weight penalty of the diesel, so the power to weight ratio is well balanced. And even with larger tires and lift, it still has great passing power at higher speeds.

All that being said, the best advice that anyone could give is to drive both and go with the one that speaks specifically to you.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I have the 2.0T, e- Torque, 25,000 trouble free, fun miles.
The fact that your first rental sounded noisy ( exhaust leak?) but drove well is a good indicator.
I have had mine for going on 3 years, had 3.6s in the past, and will not have anything but the 2.0T now.
Too much fun. Non- ethanol premium in the hot months, 87 ,10% ethanol in the winter months.
Using the correct oil is critical, these oils are formulated to reduce blow- by, piston ring deposits for small displacement turbo engines.
Fast, Fun, Frugal, who knew you could have all those words in the same sentence as "Wrangler "

OP
OP
NorthernJeep

NorthernJeep

First Name
Monica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2021 Wrangler High Altitude.
Occupation
Self employed
I have the 2.0T, e- Torque, 25,000 trouble free, fun miles.
The fact that your first rental sounded noisy ( exhaust leak?) but drove well is a good indicator.
I have had mine for going on 3 years, had 3.6s in the past, and will not have anything but the 2.0T now.
Too much fun. Non- ethanol premium in the hot months, 87 ,10% ethanol in the winter months.
Using the correct oil is critical, these oils are formulated to reduce blow- by, piston ring deposits for small displacement turbo engines.
Fast, Fun, Frugal, who knew you could have all those words in the same sentence as "Wrangler "
Thank you for your replies. Just read the (many) related posts
I tend to do full maintenance and should be ok with the 2.0 as a result
the first rental was maybe not serviced properly. The sound 2.0 rental was fun to drive, more quick than I expected.

Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I too have the 2.0 (e torque). Love everything about the engine except how loud it is during the first few minutes of cold operation…sounds terrible candidly. But that’s normal. I would buy another one.

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
question: what is your reliability and maintenance experience with the 2.0L T? Do you use super gas?

About to order a 2022 Wrangler and now leaning towards the 2.0L T. Want a fun and reliable daily driver.

Thanks
I have 5500 miles on my 2dr 2021 Wrangler with the 2.0T and no maintenance other than its 1st oil change. Runs real well and gives me 24-25mpg. It gets 91 octane and top tier gas.

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
There's a reason Porsche received tremendous pressure to bring back the V6 after adopting a 4-cylinder-only strategy for the Cayman/Boxster. It wasn't because the turbo-4 was slow. It was because it lacked soul.

Now, the Pentastar is a far, FAR cry from the Porsche 4.0. But a naturally aspirated V6 has a much better sound, and more linear power delivery, than a turbo-4.

I understand why people choose the 2.0 -- it's a brilliant little engine. But I guess it depends on how you like your rig to feel. The V6 + 8-speed + eTorque is a very well-sorted combo.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The 2.0T has proved surprisingly solid so far. I might buy it new if push came to shove. But I wouldn’t buy it used; still too many unanswered questions for my comfort: short history on the market, designed and built by Fiat, relatively small displacement for a 4,500 lb vehicle, more moving parts, higher compression means greater stresses, etc., etc.

I find the engine sound itself far from reassuring.

PS - I own a 124 Spider with the Fiat 1.4T: it is a brilliant, peppy little engine; makes sounds like it thinks it is a V8. I bought the car new and am very happy with it. Not sure I’d have bought it used, though.

Last edited:

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
I bought the 2.0T so that’s saying something.

Sponsored

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
Rented a Wrangler a second time. 2.0L again. Drove well too and did not sound like the first rental at all!

The sound of the 2.0T engine seems like a cross between an electric car, a big diesel engine, and a whoosh of air. The nice thing is that it is quiet, even under full acceleration (giving it a bit of a sleeper factor).

The bad part about that is that it doesn't make those cool growling engine noises you'd want from a powerful engine. If you want those cool noises on the 2.0T, you'll need one of those "it probably doesn't increase your horsepower but really does sound better" add-ons. You might begin with one of the cold-air intake replacements that are designed for greater airflow. (Your 2.0T Wrangler will already have a cold-air-intake, you're just replacing it with a new one that has a bigger airway.)

Maintenance of the 2.0T is officially the same as the 3.6L except the spark plug changes are about twice as often. That's it. You can run any octane gas you want (87 - 91 or better, but none of that E85 "flex fuel" style gasoline) . Generally, the more expensive grades will have better additives to help keep things clean. Nobody has seen any such requirement for the detergents found in higher octane fuel, but you will see an increased performance from higher grade fuel... particularly during high loads (such as towing) and the summer heat. There's no evidence you'll need any of the do-it-yourself additives (and there's the potential for some of them to actually do harm).

If you want to baby your turbo, give it a few minutes of casual driving before you go hard on the accelerator. (I'm sure that won't be a problem.) Also, whenever your engine bay is particularly hot (from weather, or from heavy use of the turbo), you might let your vehicle cool down for a few minutes instead of abruptly shutting it off and walking away. The added cooldown will give the coolant system more time to pull heat away from the turbo (specifically) which otherwise would have intensified as heat soak with your engine off. But again, nobody has shown this to be any real requirement of this engine. We're talking about babying it.

The 2.0T engine really is a lot of fun and the rated HP/torque specs undersell it (in comparison to the 3.6L). Keep in mind that all specs can vary based on atmospheric conditions, different test equipment used, and different people performing the test.

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
PS - I own a 124 Spider with the Fiat 1.4T: it is a brilliant, peppy little engine; makes sounds like it thinks it is a V8. I bought the car new and am very happy with it. Not sure I’d have bought it used, though.
I'm with you there, going back even further (?) on a 1983 Fiat X 1/9 with 1.5L inline-4 engine. It would make absolutely the best race car noises as it would scream up to its redline at 6900rpm. Too bad it only produced 74hp/72torque. I think this guy only hits 6k in the video so it's a little tamer sounding than it could be...

Fiat has come a long ways. With only 0.5L more displacement, they managed to nearly quadruple the torque and hp of their latest mainstream engine. I'd be scared to see the 2.0T turbo in a Fiat X1/9. But I'd love to see a Wrangler with the X1/9's handling, for sure. But the physics of the situation says no. HA!

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
O.K., I am not going to try and sell one over the other, but lets look at facts. The 3.6 has been sold starting in other model Jeeps, since 2011. Has it had some bumps in the road, yes it has. But the failures have been a very low percent. This 3.6 has now lived to be a sound performer, through the years and mileage. Now we have the update PUG 3.6. As for the 2.0. As a whole, it is looking pretty good so far. But there really hasn't been enough time to say, yep rock solid for trouble free longevity. Why, because we do not have that answer. Now for one of the big concerns as I see it, If the factory has the confidence of the 2.0 engine, other than helping them to meet FED Mileage requirements, then why is it not offered in the Gladiator? I think this is a good question to think about.
So if I was going to purchase a new Wrangler today, which I can afford to do, what would it be engine of choice in order? 392, 3.6, AND LAST THE 2.0. But in all fairness, if one doesn't plan on keeping it, say more than 75 to 100K, or through the power train warranty period, THEN IT PROBABLY REALLY DOESNT MATTER MUCH.

Last edited:

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
From a 6.4 SRT to a 2.0 turbo Hmmm... no wonder you didn't like the sound and even worry about the Power of the 2.0??

I have a 3.6 2018 Wrangler and on service I was lent a 2 liter, you'd have to give me two 2.0's to swap! The 3.6 runs pizza on 87 octane fuel too!

Good luck whatever your choice, long as it says Jeep I like it!! Yup, it's a Jeep thing!

Go Jeep!!!
Sponsored