gpoverland

First Name
Devon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, I’m trying to wire some led lights to come on and off with the dome light. I wired ground to ground. I ran the + through the firewall. I’m using a dual throw relay because in the NO (normal off) position, I want one of my AUX switches to power the lights. The intent is to have the dome light engage the relay as the trigger and have the battery feed, nicely made available via FCA as part of the tow pkg). I’ve tried a solid state really (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004HNB4ZQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_nS-OCb6H5HEYB) and I tried this relay (https://www.parts-express.com/te-co...MI2cbA5MOy4QIVDrnACh1MxAUQEAQYBiABEgJbzfD_BwE). All I get is a buzzing from the relay, and it seems to work. The buzzing is driving me mad. Anyone have any ideas?
Sponsored

OP
OP

gpoverland

First Name
Devon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, I’m trying to wire some led lights to come on and off with the dome light. I wired ground to ground. I ran the + through the firewall. I’m using a dual throw relay because in the NO (normal off) position, I want one of my AUX switches to power the lights. The intent is to have the dome light engage the relay as the trigger and have the battery feed, nicely made available via FCA as part of the tow pkg). I’ve tried a solid state really (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004HNB4ZQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_nS-OCb6H5HEYB) and I tried this relay (https://www.parts-express.com/te-co...MI2cbA5MOy4QIVDrnACh1MxAUQEAQYBiABEgJbzfD_BwE). All I get is a buzzing from the relay, and it seems to work. The buzzing is driving me mad. Anyone have any ideas?
Actual picture of the relays

42590700-F270-4EB1-BC86-F40BB13E5838.jpeg

3022CCF1-AA1C-4301-A288-5BD136F57F32.jpeg

OP
OP

gpoverland

First Name
Devon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I believe what I am facing is relay chatter from the trigger voltage being too low as the dome light dimms or enlightens (the fade in or fade out affect). Hmmm

OP
OP

gpoverland

First Name
Devon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@TTEChris is this what you found to be your issue with the first relay? My issue is I want to be able to turn the lights on and off with the aux switch as well as have them come on and off with the dome light (convenience lamp). @ROAM any ideas?

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I believe what I am facing is relay chatter from the trigger voltage being too low as the dome light dimms or enlightens (the fade in or fade out affect). Hmmm
Yep, standard relay can't handle dimming voltage reduction. Had the problem when I did it in my JK so moved relay to the engine compartment.

Sponsored

OP
OP

gpoverland

First Name
Devon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, standard relay can't handle dimming voltage reduction. Had the problem when I did it in my JK so moved relay to the engine compartment.
That didn’t get rid of the chatter, just moved it, right?

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
That didn’t get rid of the chatter, just moved it, right?
Right but now I don't hear it unless I'm outside the vehicle. Might get a solid state one some time but busy on my JL now.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
@TTEChris is this what you found to be your issue with the first relay? My issue is I want to be able to turn the lights on and off with the aux switch as well as have them come on and off with the dome light (convenience lamp). @ROAM any ideas?
That's why I went with the solid state relay. The trigger wire energizes the relay at a much lower voltage(3v I believe). The mechanical relay is looking for a constant voltage which the dimming feature doesn't allow and causes the relay to "chatter" until it reaches a constant voltage.

If you have the relay installed you should be able to run both the dome light trigger wire and Mopar switch wire to the same lead on the relay to turn them on by either opening the doors or pressing the corresponding switch on your panel.

OP
OP

gpoverland

First Name
Devon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That's why I went with the solid state relay. The trigger wire energizes the relay at a much lower voltage(3v I believe). The mechanical relay is looking for a constant voltage which the dimming feature doesn't allow and causes the relay to "chatter" until it reaches a constant voltage.

If you have the relay installed you should be able to run both the dome light trigger wire and Mopar switch wire to the same lead on the relay to turn them on by either opening the doors or pressing the corresponding switch on your panel.
Thanks. Ordered the switch earlier. That is my next attempt, but I ordered. Second switch just Incase I needed to daisy-chain them. I think if I put both the aux switch and the dome light + to the relays trigger, when I switch the aux switch on, the dome lights will come on as well. I thought about using two relays in parallel, one fed by the dome light as a trigger and one fed by the output of the first relay as a trigger (using the constant 12v output as the trigger should allow me to use one of the two switches I have that are double throw where NO is power from AUX and NC is open). Looks right on paper. Haha

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. Ordered the switch earlier. That is my next attempt, but I ordered. Second switch just Incase I needed to daisy-chain them. I think if I put both the aux switch and the dome light + to the relays trigger, when I switch the aux switch on, the dome lights will come on as well. I thought about using two relays in parallel, one fed by the dome light as a trigger and one fed by the output of the first relay as a trigger (using the constant 12v output as the trigger should allow me to use one of the two switches I have that are double throw where NO is power from AUX and NC is open). Looks right on paper. Haha
Your right, it's late my brain isn't functioning as it should :facepalm:

Sponsored

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Couldn't you just run the Mopar positive lead directly to the positive lead on the lights?

OP
OP

gpoverland

First Name
Devon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Couldn't you just run the Mopar positive lead directly to the positive lead on the lights?
I could but the possibility of the dome light and the aux switch inline with the lights exists, so trying to keep it clean. A single pole double throw version of the switch you used would be fantastic!

OP
OP

gpoverland

First Name
Devon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here is what I’m thinking. Should work.

372BD602-EF99-4E69-8128-7EAB55E065F3.jpeg