Oldiee

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe, 2018 Sport
Hello,
Pretty new to Jeep ownership, have a 2021 4xe Rubicon (mine), and a 2018 JL Sport S (My daughter's). Haven't really done much to them except a leveling/spacer kit on the Sport to give it a bit more clearance. Now looking for tire options. The only off-roading we do is in the sand for beach access at cape cod (the trails can be a bit long). A couple of options come to mind:

1) Replace just the tire, keep stock rim on the Sport - What size tire would I be able use to keep the stock rims? Thinking 285/70R17 (existing are 245/70R17)? Does that make sense?

2) New rim/tire combo - easiest but $$ option. Don't really want to go wider, have seen a bunch of threads here and would be able to pick a decent one.

3) Out there option - Could I actually replace my 4xe with new 35's and rims and put the stock 33's on the Sport? Any issues with the TPMS? Don't really want to lose that.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
Hello,
Pretty new to Jeep ownership, have a 2021 4xe Rubicon (mine), and a 2018 JL Sport S (My daughter's). Haven't really done much to them except a leveling/spacer kit on the Sport to give it a bit more clearance. Now looking for tire options. The only off-roading we do is in the sand for beach access at cape cod (the trails can be a bit long). A couple of options come to mind:

1) Replace just the tire, keep stock rim on the Sport - What size tire would I be able use to keep the stock rims? Thinking 285/70R17 (existing are 245/70R17)? Does that make sense?

2) New rim/tire combo - easiest but $$ option. Don't really want to go wider, have seen a bunch of threads here and would be able to pick a decent one.

3) Out there option - Could I actually replace my 4xe with new 35's and rims and put the stock 33's on the Sport? Any issues with the TPMS? Don't really want to lose that.

Thanks!
If you're not doing much intense off roading, I'd just keep the stock Sport rim and put some mild ATs on it. KO2s and Grabber AT/X are the ones I like. If you do go up in size, note you'll want to change the size of the tire in the Jeep's computer with a programmer.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Hello,

Thanks!
#1 good to go.
#3 depends on the build date of your 2021. That year had a changeover to continental sensors that won’t be compatible with the ‘18.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I would watch the marketplace forum here and on Facebook and grab a set of 285/70/17 take-off's from a Rubicon. You can usually grab them at a good price and save some dollars.

You will need to adjust the tire size with something like JSCAN so the speedometer reads correctly.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
For upgrading the sport s to Rubicon tires it’s below a 2% difference so you can skip the recalibration if you want. I did even though I have a tazer sitting on my desk. I’ll fix it when I do axles or regear.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Oldiee

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe, 2018 Sport
Thanks for the responses. The 4xe has a build date of March 2021. Also the existing tires are 75R17, not 70. Not a big difference though.

Last question - With a 285/75R17 that would increase the width of the tire I believe, would they still fit the stock rims? The tire size and conversions really screw with my simple math brain!

Thanks

Last edited:

6th Floor Mule

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 6MT
Thanks for the responses. The 4xe has a build date of March 2021. Also the existing tires are 75R17, not 70. Not a big difference though.

Last question - With a 285/75R17 that would increase the width of the tire I believe, would they still fit the stock rims? The tire size and conversions really screw with my simple math brain!

Thanks
285/70/17 and 285/75/17 will be the same 11.2‘ish width.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon

Thanks
A March '21 JL and 2018 JL use the same TPMS sensors. The switch to new TPMS sensors was in 6/21. Should be no problems there.

To avoid mathing, use this for a visual representation of the tire size differences. They will both fit on stock JL wheels.
https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/
(The wheel offset of stock JL wheels is +44mm)
Sponsored