First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
It's well known that the Mopar Steel bumper can push up into the body. While swaping out my plastic bumper for a steel one last night, I snapped this picture of the rear corner. Those 2 little brackets (on each side) and 2 bolts on the bottom next to the hitch are all that connect the bumper to the frame. The ones by the hitch seem solid, but the corners are pretty pathetic. They're MAYBE 1/8", probably less.

Generally, I think there's a lot of room for improvement. They both attach to the frame AND there's the frame to body mount located between them. Does anyone have experience with bending 1/4" steel? Maybe the two could be connected and tied into the body mount?

Just throwing this out there to see what everyone thinks. It's sure be nice to keep this bumper long term as it only weights 37 lbs more than the plastic bumper and fits the JL design perfectly (obviously).

Jeep Wrangler JL Reinforcing the Mopar steel rear bumper IMG_1722
Sponsored

CaseOfAle

First Name
ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 981S, 19JLUS
Wow - thanks for the pics! I'm shocked poison spyder, Roam, LOD, etc haven't fabbed up some 1/4" steel brackets to reinforce/replace those. Seems like it would be a direct bolt-on and provide a huge benefit!

OP
OP
LooselyHeldPlans

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
Wow - thanks for the pics! I'm shocked poison spyder, Roam, LOD, etc haven't fabbed up some 1/4" steel brackets to reinforce/replace those. Seems like it would be a direct bolt-on and provide a huge benefit!
Thanks! I was beginning to think no one was interested in this but me. Iā€™m going to contact them all, point them to this thread and see if I can get some interest.

Itā€™d be helpful if anyone else interested could indicate here.

DaddyEngineer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Thanks! I was beginning to think no one was interested in this but me. Iā€™m going to contact them all, point them to this thread and see if I can get some interest.

Itā€™d be helpful if anyone else interested could indicate here.
Iā€™d be interested in these brackets too!

Scott

Last edited:

Brian0128

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 Toyota TRD PRO
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™d be interested.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Last edited:
OP
OP
LooselyHeldPlans

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
I thought about this a while back, glad to see others are interested.

Maximus-3 might be our best bet for getting these built... they already make a bunch of products that interface well with OEM bumper. https://maximus-3.com/jl-bumper-accessories
... and they donā€™t sell their own bumper, so thereā€™s no financial disincentive in offering this.

Iā€™m about to buy their tow hooks and was going to call them today.

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™d be interested in a set also. I like the looks of the metal bumper package and have several maximus3 bolt ones for the front.

OP
OP
LooselyHeldPlans

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
Iā€™d be interested in a set also. I like the looks of the metal bumper package and have several maximus3 bolt ones for the front.
Maximus3 basically told me to f-off and that any any reinforcement could cause frame damage if the vehicle was rear ended. While that could be true, it felt like a major cop-out and the tone of the response was basically" We got a lot of stuff going on kid, not interested in a $20 reinforcement part."

I really like the companies products as I feel they fit a sweet spot... but the more I interact with them the more they seem like a shit company to work with.

Russ Chung

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 2005 TJ
I believe that those brackets were designed to crumple under low speed impact. Otherwise, the force of the impact would be transferred to the frame (and to the occupants). You can replace the brackets (and buff the scratches from the paint) for much less $$ than straightening the frame or replacing the bumper. Have you been on a trail, and while maneuvering to get lined up to get over an obstacle, backed into a tree or a boulder? I don't remember the exact details, but there is a federal standard that says that a bumper must withstand a certain impact with only a limited amount of cost to repair the damage..

Sponsored

OP
OP
LooselyHeldPlans

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
I believe that those brackets were designed to crumple under low speed impact. Otherwise, the force of the impact would be transferred to the frame (and to the occupants). You can replace the brackets (and buff the scratches from the paint) for much less $$ than straightening the frame or replacing the bumper. Have you been on a trail, and while maneuvering to get lined up to get over an obstacle, backed into a tree or a boulder? I don't remember the exact details, but there is a federal standard that says that a bumper must withstand a certain impact with only a limited amount of cost to repair the damage..
Oh I get it, but why the hell are you applying OEM federal standards to an aftermarket part? This is a double standard.

As far as I know, out of the hundred bumpers available on the JL, only AEV crash tests their stuff. Are you saying every bumper that doesnā€™t have flimsy attachment points (basically every aftermarket bumper) is going to bend the frame in a 5MPH collision?

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
Another solution is to cut (grind) more clearance Into the stock bumper so that when it flexes, the inside of the bumper doesnā€™t touch the body. But then you havenā€™t solved the problem of the license plate vulnerability.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I have the factory steel rear bumper. I recently chopped the rear fenders and got rid of the plastic bumper to fender filler pieces. I also removed that stamped steel bracket that spans from the bumper to the frame. I found it to not provide any additional rigidity to the bumper itself. The plastic bumper extension pieces catch air at highway speed, and could create a bumper end vibration. I believe that stamped steel bracket is meant to prevent that vibration.

ASFIR4X4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, JK, JL, Gladiator