Sponsored

Reimbursement for Item Under Warranty (Battery Replacement, Again)

Carnage

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Philanthropist and Adventurer
I'm now on my third Main Battery in as many years.

My JLUR was one of the first JL's to roll off the line, delivery acceptance was April 2018. On March 2020, I took the vehicle into a dealership due to starting problems and the Main Battery was replaced under warranty.

It's now Nov 2021 and JLRU has a hard time starting. I charged the battery and it started fine for a few days, but it wouldn't turn at all yesterday. I charged it once again overnight. This morning, however, no dice.

I removed the Main Battery and took it to the dealership. Since I don't have the vehicle with me, they told me that I would have to purchase a new battery, which I did, and submit for reimbursement. I plugged the new battery in and everything is back to normal.

Has anyone had to deal with this process before? I was expecting the dealership to take the battery from me to charge it "overnight" themselves to confirm that they can give me a new battery. If so, how long did the reimbursement take? Thanks!
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I had this happen to me with my 2013 JK Rubicon.

I spoke with the Service Manager and he took care of it. He talked to the FCA rep and all I had to do was submit the receipt. I received a check a few days later.

Having said that, that’s too many batteries in three years. Has anyone checked that the charging system on your JL is working properly?

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I'd be testing the charging system with one of these tools. Note that it is capable of testing the starter and the charging system, despite being listed as just a battery load tester.

Mine has helped me to spend replacement money only where and when it was required.

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts

My JLUR was one of the first JL's to roll off the line, delivery acceptance was April 2018. On March 2020, I took the vehicle into a dealership due to starting problems and the Main Battery was replaced under warranty.

It's now Nov 2021 and JLRU has a hard time starting. I charged the battery and it started fine for a few days, but it wouldn't turn at all yesterday. I charged it once again overnight. This morning, however, no dice.

I removed the Main Battery and took it to the dealership. Since I don't have the vehicle with me, they told me that I would have to purchase a new battery, which I did, and submit for reimbursement. I plugged the new battery in and everything is back to normal.

Has anyone had to deal with this process before? I was expecting the dealership to take the battery from me to charge it "overnight" themselves to confirm that they can give me a new battery. If so, how long did the reimbursement take? Thanks!
Why are you messing with it at all if it is still under warranty? I called the dealership up, they towed the Jeep in, and replaced the batterIES in a few hours. DONE & FREE. No work required by me :clap:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

@Carnage

You have had your 2018 JL over 36 months and I assume you have over 36,000 miles on it...
Your warranty has expired.... why do you think you will be reimbursed by FCA for a battery?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Carnage

Carnage

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Yes, I had this happen to me with my 2013 JK Rubicon.

I spoke with the Service Manager and he took care of it. He talked to the FCA rep and all I had to do was submit the receipt. I received a check a few days later.

Having said that, that’s too many batteries in three years. Has anyone checked that the charging system on your JL is working properly?
During the battery replacement on March 2020, a "Multi-Point Inspection" was conducted, but this is nothing more than them trying to find stuff to fix (more $ for them). However, there's a comment on the receipt about "Battery Failed GR8 Test." Not sure what that test consists of, but that's the justification for replacing the battery.

I checked the alternator and it's working fine. Voltage is 12.6V with engine off and 14.2 while engine running. It can go down as low as 3.8V with some loads (headlights, radio, etc), but it hasn't gone lower than this.

Good to know that reimbursement process isn't going to take months. Thanks!

OP
OP
Carnage

Carnage

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
@Carnage

You have had your 2018 JL over 36 months and I assume you have over 36,000 miles on it...
Your warranty has expired.... why do you think you will be reimbursed by FCA for a battery?

When the original Main Battery was replaced under warranty March 2020, the replacement battery comes with a new 36-month warranty period. Hence, I'm still in the window. There's also a sticker on the MOPAR battery about this.

tempImage3RNe7V.png

OP
OP
Carnage

Carnage

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
I'd be testing the charging system with one of these tools. Note that it is capable of testing the starter and the charging system, despite being listed as just a battery load tester.

Mine has helped me to spend replacement money only where and when it was required.
I don't disagree, but think that a simple multi-meter would more than suffice. But them again, I'm a YouTube mechanic. Thanks!

OP
OP
Carnage

Carnage

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Why are you messing with it at all if it is still under warranty? I called the dealership up, they towed the Jeep in, and replaced the batterIES in a few hours. DONE & FREE. No work required by me :clap:
Only the replacement battery is still under warranty.

Marlon_JB2

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR, 2014 Dodge Dart GT
Occupation
Jeep Builder

Sponsored

OP
OP
Carnage

Carnage

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Hi Marlon!

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Your replacement battery does not have a 36 month warranty, as you did not purchase it. If the dealer is willing to play with you, sure. But they don’t have to.

however. You obviously have an underlying problem that you haven’t addressed.

OP
OP
Carnage

Carnage

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Your replacement battery does not have a 36 month warranty, as you did not purchase it. If the dealer is willing to play with you, sure. But they don’t have to.
We'll see. The info came from the Operations Director. He gave me the receipt from March 2020 when they replaced the original battery and the 800-number for me to call. I'd be returning this MOPAR Battery in a heartbeat and buy a better one!

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
We'll see. The info came from the Operations Director. I'd be returning this MOPAR Battery in a heartbeat and buy a better one!
that’s what I would do, but first I would fix the problem.

Have you not replaced the aux battery??

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

however. You obviously have an underlying problem that you haven’t addressed.
I did not want to be the one to break this news to @Carnage .
He may get lucky but....

and... reality is BOTH batteries should be replaced by @Carnage.
Sponsored