Sponsored

Reimbursement for Item Under Warranty (Battery Replacement, Again)

OP
OP
Carnage

Carnage

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Philanthropist and Adventurer
that’s what I would do, but first I would fix the problem.
I'm not sure what the problem is. New Batt has 12.6V with engine off. With engine running, voltage is 14.2 (no load) and no less than 13.8 with load (headlights, radio, etc.).
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I'm not sure what the problem is. New Batt has 12.6V with engine off. With engine running, voltage is 14.2 (no load) and no less than 13.8 with load (headlights, radio, etc.).
The aux battery. If your voltage reads above battery voltage (13+) at all times with the engine running, one or both batteries are failing.

OP
OP
Carnage

Carnage

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
The aux battery. If your voltage reads above battery voltage (13+) at all times with the engine running, one or both batteries are failing.
My plan is to dig out the Aux Batt tomorrow and test it. Whoever designed the Aux Batt at MOPAR should be ashamed of themselves!

OP
OP
Carnage

Carnage

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Having 13V+ while engine running was my first thought of a problem. However, there were many other forums/YouTube vids that claims this to be the norm.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
My plan is to dig out the Aux Batt tomorrow and test it. Whoever designed the Aux Batt at MOPAR should be ashamed of themselves!
@Carnage

I encourage you to go easy so to speak..... research... first, the best way to get to and change out the Aux battery...

Recommend you do not dismantle the PDC to get to the Aux.. Do a fender flare pull or peel back the fender liner to access the Aux battery / it holding container.

IF, you plan to continue to run with both the Main and the Aux batteries and not use a fused bypass jumper to bypass the Aux and run with just the Main,....you would be best served changing out the Aux battery (cost $107+-) now / at the same time you change out the Main on your 2018 JL.

IF you want to learn lots in regard to the JL's, dual battery system, do a forum search for any and all posts by @Jebiruph. You can take his posts in regard to the dual battery system, to the bank so to speak....

DO, do be really careful in regard to those YouTube videos you mentioned... lots of iffy, piss poor info in many of the YouTube videos out there in regard to the JL's battery(s)../ dual battery system in general.

OP
OP
Carnage

Carnage

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
@Carnage

I encourage you to go easy so to speak..... research... first, the best way to get to and change out the Aux battery...

Recommend you do not dismantle the PDC to get to the Aux.. Do a fender flare pull or peel back the fender liner to access the Aux battery / it holding container.

IF, you plan to continue to run with both the Main and the Aux batteries and not use a fused bypass jumper to bypass the Aux and run with just the Main, that you would be best served changing out the Aux battery (cost $107+-) now / at the same time you change out the Main on your 2018 JL.

IF you want to learn lots in regard to the JL's, dual battery system, do a forum search for any and all posts by @Jebiruph. You can take his posts in regard to the dual battery system, to the bank so to speak....

DO, do be really careful in regard to those YouTube videos you mentioned... lots of iffy, piss poor info in many of the YouTube videos out there in regard to the JL's battery(s)../ dual battery system in general.

Yeah...saw a vid about pulling out the fender flare to get (easy) access to that side of the engine compartment. My concern are the tabs breaking. I don't think it's difficult digging out the Aux Batt from underneath the PDC...just a bunch of steps to worry about. Thanks!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Yeah...saw a vid about pulling out the fender flare to get (easy) access to that side of the engine compartment. My concern are the tabs breaking. I don't think it's difficult digging out the Aux Batt from underneath the PDC...just a bunch of steps to worry about. Thanks!
@Carnage

Well, to go the dismantle the PDC route will take you well over an hour+ and you risk doing pricey damage to the PDC. FCA tells recommends Techs do not go through the PDC but rather do the fender liner peel...

Peel takes less then 15 min to access the Aux battery but you need to replace a few $ worth of plastic rivets. You can buy a rivet gun at Harbor Freight for about $15+- and it comes with the rivets.

You can just pull the fender flare ,... takes less then 10 min. .... is easy easy to do but you need to have about 6 or 7 ($.99) fender flare clips as you usually break 2-4 when you pull the flare.

My preferred way is flare pull. No way would I dismantle the PDC to get to the Aux... Not worth the very pricey, big trouble you could possibly get into doing so... and it is very time consuming to dismantle and then re-assemble. I prefer bottom access to the Aux also!

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ent-the-easy-way-pull-the-fender-flare.56807/

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
@Carnage

Well, to go the dismantle the PDC route will take you well over an hour+ and you risk doing pricey damage to the PDC. FCA tells recommends Techs do not go through the PDC but rather do the fender liner peel...

Peel takes less then 15 min to access the Aux battery but you need to replace a few $ worth of plastic rivets. You can buy a rivet gun at Harbor Freight for about $15+- and it comes with the rivets.

You can just pull the fender flare ,... takes less then 10 min. .... is easy easy to do but you need to have about 6 or 7 ($.99) fender flare clips as you usually break 2-4 when you pull the flare.

My preferred way is flare pull. No way would I dismantle the PDC to get to the Aux... Not worth the very pricey, big trouble you could possibly get into doing so... and it is very time consuming to dismantle and then re-assemble. I prefer bottom access to the Aux also!

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ent-the-easy-way-pull-the-fender-flare.56807/
I found it much easier to cut the plastic rivets out and replace with good old fashioned christmas tree push clips. It's like having the fender on a zipper. Very simple change out of the battery. The main battery is more difficult, it weighs a ton.

OP, be sure to maintain good control of the positive battery cable to/from the aux battery. Both ends are hot.

OP
OP
Carnage

Carnage

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Two quick updates, Jeepers!

1. Jeep has sent me an e-mail this morning stating that a check for 100% of the cost of my purchase to replace the Main Battery is on the way!! It may take up to 30 days but the process took less than 24 Hours. I'm extremely surprised.

Here's the process that I followed:
- Called 800.992.1997 and spoke with a person that started my case (you gotta get through automated options, of course!).
- This person began conversation by verifying my contact information and then sent me an e-mail asking for documentation. I replied to this e-mail with (a) the receipt of the new Main Battery that I purchased, (b) credit card transaction receipt for the purchase, and (c) the March 2020 receipt that indicated Main battery was replaced under warranty.
- Received an e-mail this morning about 100% reimbursement. YAY!

2. I woke up and also decided to replace the Aux Batt and found it easy to do so. Essentially, all you need is are 7mm and 10mm sockets, a ratchet and extension and an E6 (reverse) Torx or a 5/32 socket to remove/reuse the Aux Batt posts. Additionally, I used bungee cords/zip ties to keep connectors out of the way. Moving things out of the way was the mist difficult part. Replacing the PDC cover was easier than expected as they all line up!
Sponsored