Regens after a month of ownership...

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle Sport Diesel
If I had known this I would have just went diesel originally. :( Forum fear kinda scared me away from it. I was hoping that jamming it all in once place might be useful to someone else down the road.
That and a new dpf is $750 from mopar and 6 bolts hold it in. Then again the 8 year 80k warranty means I donā€™t really have to worry. I, of course, prefer not to have the system at all but itā€™s been out more then a decade and itā€™s literally on every light to million mile heavy duty diesels throughout the world.

I think deletes are running $2100 when all said and done and thatā€™s assuming you install it yourself. Thatā€™s a lot of dpf canisters.

The 442 lb/ft at 1900 rpm made me really happy (510 lb/ft with the Banks tune).

Social media can suck a lot of times.
Sponsored

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has anyone tried one of those cheap Bluetooth OBD scanners and a phone app like TorquePro instead of buying a scangauge or banks?
I have one. Itā€™s ok. I hate having to connect my phone every time. Plus itā€™s become illegal to have your hand on your phone while driving in my state.

I have the scan gauge and itā€™s really great. I do not have it plugged into the security bypass.

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree that a ScanGauge is absolutely necessary. I only wish that the gauge showed the soot levels dropping as it approaches 8%. Mine shows the regen is on, runs for almost exactly ten minutes, and then turns off and displays 8%. So...it goes from 80% to 8% without showing the intervening progress. My only (minor) "complaint".

Driving a diesel without one is akin to driving a manual without a tach.
Mine will sometimes. Like when Iā€™m driving slow during a regen, it will show it dropping. Once Iā€™m above 20 mph it wonā€™t show it.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Oh, and get a ScanGuage II! I can't imagine having no visibility into the process. That little gadget makes it so much more manageable for me as I'm someone that likes to know the numbers and details.

[Quick trivia: My Jeep image below was taken in the cemetery where the original Night of the Living Dead was filmed.]

jeep.jpg
Jeff, Lots of good information in your post. I don't have a ScanGuage II, so I never know what is going on with regen or my DPF mass. I wish this data was available on the IPC display. I have ~15,000 miles on my 2021 JLURD and have never had a forced regen, that I know of. About 50% - 60% of my driving is at highway speeds so I assume this keeps my DPF flow restriction fairly low.

BTW, I see an undead hiding back in the tree line.

OP
OP
mcjeff

mcjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Jeff, Lots of good information in your post. I don't have a ScanGuage II, so I never know what is going on with regen or my DPF mass. I wish this data was available on the IPC display. I have ~15,000 miles on my 2021 JLURD and have never had a forced regen, that I know of. About 50% - 60% of my driving is at highway speeds so I assume this keeps my DPF flow restriction fairly low.

Yeah, it should be available without the needed gadget. I agree. Iā€™m curious as to whether yours has. Based on what mine does, itā€™s likely done a few active ones but your driving allows it to complete so you donā€™t get the message.

It saves the total number of regens, so if you had access to one you could check and youā€™d see the history.

Ha on the undead part! We were there geocaching. Itā€™s a pretty amazing little cemetery. It still looks just like the movie, with some additional cell towers.

Sponsored

ECP

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
I have one. Itā€™s ok. I hate having to connect my phone every time. Plus itā€™s become illegal to have your hand on your phone while driving in my state.

I have the scan gauge and itā€™s really great. I do not have it plugged into the security bypass.
Do you mind sharing the different sensors you use for TorquePro and what they mean?

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.

I may be wrong, but I suspect that you've had dozens of regens without knowing it.

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you mind sharing the different sensors you use for TorquePro and what they mean?
So Iā€™m not 100% on the regen PID because I didnā€™t use it long enough but hereā€™s what I had for my dashboard:

PID ā€œpercentage of soot massā€ = soot mass percent (obviously)
And
PID ā€œturbocharger a turbine outlet tempā€ = EGTs
And
PID ā€œboostā€ = boost

The regen status - whether it was on or off confused me. This is why I got the scan gauge too. It has some sort of logic built into it to take the guess work out. I never use it long enough to figure it out but these were the PID I had:

PID ā€œdpf regen statusā€
Or
PID ā€œrequested regeneration state of dpfā€
Or
PID ā€œdpf lampā€

The gauges would either be ā€œ0ā€ or ā€œ1ā€. I took that to mean ā€œ0ā€ is off and ā€œ1ā€ meant regen is on.

Reactions: ECP

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know you can also do user defined PIDs that include some equation. But thatā€™s beyond my capability - someone smarter than me may know. If you find one itā€™s easy to import it or just recreate it.

Tejas

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JULRD
Very informative. I guess I just like living on the edge, I bought the longest extended warranty, I put in diesel, def, do required maintenance and drive the shit out of it lol

Sponsored

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
It does smell during a regen! During normal driving, thereā€™s no diesel exhaust smell. During a regen, thereā€™s certainly a noticable acrid burning smell to it. My six year old asked, ā€œwhy does the Jeep smell like a hot grill?ā€ one time when I stopped it early to figure out what might hleading up to this. You can have the first two processes happening and never even know it.
It does smell during a regen! During normal driving, thereā€™s no diesel exhaust smell. During a regen, thereā€™s certainly a noticable acrid burning smell to it. My six year old asked, ā€œwhy does the Jeep smell like a hot grill?ā€ one time when I stopped it early to figure out what might happen.
The smell thing is either subjective or they don't all have the issue.

My 2007.5 Duramax smelled terrible during a regen.
2020 F350 doesn't smell terrible, but during regen there is definitely a somewhat unpleasant odor. In the Ford it is kinda hard to miss a regen as I eventually think "what's that smell?"
Wife's 2020 3.0L Wrangler has about zero smell during regen. I think you might (might mind) be able to catch a faint whiff of something at a stoplight, but otherwise nothing. If you're not paying attention to the scangauge you'll miss the regen. But you can smell the urea injection seemingly all the time.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
If I had known this I would have just went diesel originally. :( Forum fear kinda scared me away from it. I was hoping that jamming it all in once place might be useful to someone else down the road.
A lot of people are so afraid of anything outside their idea of what a jeep should be they'll try to keep others away as well. Sorry you were lead astray by the ignorant ones, diesels are awesome!
I still do have tons of questions that I can't find answers to.. things like "when do stations start supplying winterized diesel? How do I know?" I'll update as I figure this stuff out. =)
If you buy your fuel from a well traveled truck stop, you shouldn't have to worry about if it's the winterized stuff or not. I do recommend keeping a can of fuel treatment during winter regardless, when I lived in upstate NY the temps got into -45 and the engine wouldn't start for a day šŸ˜Ø. I walked to the store and bought some treatment and learned a tough lesson that day!

A scanguage or Banks data monster is a great item to have for monitoring.

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
Yeah, I think there's a lot of misinformation out there about the diesel that turns people away from choosing it as an option. For me, it's very reassuring to hear that clatter and feel the torque in off road situations. I absolutely love mine! Funny thing, I had a ScanGauge 2 sitting in the closet from a previous car that I thought I'd never use again. Turns out it works on the diesel too. It's a great addition to monitor the state of the soot mass.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase