Regeared and used my Tazer too change gearing

NyRey87

First Name
Nyles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
I have a visit to the dealership this Friday and I’ve recently regeared my Axles and reprogrammed the computer using my Tazer to update the new 4.88 gearing.

My question is, once I unmarry the Tazer will it delete my gear settings and or my new tire size. I’ve searched and couldn’t find a direct answer anywhere so any help is much appreciated!
Sponsored

OP
OP
NyRey87

NyRey87

First Name
Nyles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Damn, thanks for the reply guys. If they drive it without the updated gearing is there any risk? As long as they don’t engage 4x4 right?

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Damn, thanks for the reply guys. If they drive it without the updated gearing is there any risk? As long as they don’t engage 4x4 right?
The speedometer will be off, but 4x4 will be fine.

If you are concerned when you get it back, buy a JSCAN to set it and you won't have this issue going forward as it writes directly to PCM/BCM and there is no marry/unmarry.

OP
OP
NyRey87

NyRey87

First Name
Nyles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The speedometer will be off, but 4x4 will be fine.

If you are concerned when you get it back, buy a JSCAN to set it and you won't have this issue going forward as it writes directly to PCM/BCM and there is no marry/unmarry.
Oh wow right on I’m going to check into that, the Tazer is fine and I got it used for a good price but marrying, unmarrying IT and resetting all the parameters is a PITA

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Assuming you are using the tazer to make a bunch of changes and also some of the live functions.

After you unmarry, re-marry it and change only the gear ratio. Then just remove it with it still married.

This leaves the gearing change in place and that's it.

Its the same as if you made the change with J-Scan.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
Oh wow right on I’m going to check into that, the Tazer is fine and I got it used for a good price but marrying, unmarrying IT and resetting all the parameters is a PITA
You think that's a PITA, have fun setting up the JL/JT - Security Gateway

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I have a visit to the dealership this Friday and I’ve recently regeared my Axles and reprogrammed the computer using my Tazer to update the new 4.88 gearing.

My question is, once I unmarry the Tazer will it delete my gear settings and or my new tire size. I’ve searched and couldn’t find a direct answer anywhere so any help is much appreciated!
@NyRey87

Consider using JSCAN to do your programming in regard to gearing.

Yes, do keep /and use your Tazer JL and enjoy all that it offers... but do gear programming with JSCAN. Doing this hybrid solution will save you lots of angst and lots of headaches.

Forum search and you will see more talk of doing as I mention.

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Assuming you are using the tazer to make a bunch of changes and also some of the live functions.

After you unmarry, re-marry it and change only the gear ratio. Then just remove it with it still married.

This leaves the gearing change in place and that's it.

Its the same as if you made the change with J-Scan.
While this sounds easy enough, it is not a good idea to leave the Tazer married when taking it to the dealer for a myriad of reasons.

The least of which is if they do a software update/upgrade you will lose it when/if you later unmarry the Tazer.

Why? The Tazer has a copy of the "pre-upgrade" software and that will overwrite the upgrade when unmarried.

Always unmarry a Tazer prior to going to the dealer.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@NyRey87

What you would do... a few miles from the dealership unmarry the Tazer JL, remove the hardware and be 100% sure to hook up the 2 cables at the security gateway.

Now, drive to the dealer. Yes, you do not want to use 4x4 etc... Hopefully, the Tech will not have reason to engage 4x4. If he does he will see an EVIC error, etc..

With a JK you would have real issues pulling gear programming. Not so with the JL.

You can for go all the angst, if you use JSCAN for programming in regard to gearing.

OP
OP
NyRey87

NyRey87

First Name
Nyles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You think that's a PITA, have fun setting up the JL/JT - Security Gateway
Is this In regards to getting under the steering wheel area and plugging and unplugging something?
Sponsored