Regear quote, kind of high?

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
...a shop in the Western US that is a well-known sponsor on here. ..
You need to narrow that down. "Western US" includes both the Silicon Valley California, and St. George Utah; and the prices will vary dramatically between those locations.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
You need to narrow that down. "Western US" includes both the Silicon Valley California, and St. George Utah; and the prices will vary dramatically between those locations.
I’m happy to narrow it down and answer any questions on a PM.

Northridge4x4

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Sahara JKU, 2013 Rubicon JKU
Occupation
Seller of badassery

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
I agree that here describing as "Western US" is vague. However, users typically have location information on their posting profile. In those instances, if you look, shouldn't be too hard to figure out which metro area the member is referring too.

Regarding OP's question about price. Two comments.

1) You should be able to save ~$20 since they quoted you 4qts of diff oil BUT YOU WILL ONLY NEED 3qts (with OEM diff covers). :)
2) That price is in line with prices in my area. This So long as this is a quality shop. My thought is that for gearing, it is worth the confidence to have it done right the first time even if it costs a little extra $.

Having read too many gearing horror stories on here, I would happily pay more if I were confident in the shop and have no issues than simply opt for lowest bidder if there are questions about their competence. I can't say anything about the shop you got the quote from so will leave that assessment to you. Just my $0.02.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Was expecting to pay closer to $2200 or so. I know that prices on everything are up so if this is what it costs now for solid work, so be it, just don't want to get screwed
Way too high. I got a quote for $1800. In LA county....

OP
OP
jmh36

jmh36

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Unlimited Rubicon 2021
Overall seems like price is somewhat fair if the shop is as good as their reputation. I will see what I can do about switching their generic oil out for a name brand. Thanks everybody for the help

OP
OP
jmh36

jmh36

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Unlimited Rubicon 2021
Should mention I am looking in Chicago area. This particular shop is out in the suburbs, hour or so out of the city, but if anybody has good experience in the Chicago area, I am all ears

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Overall seems like price is somewhat fair if the shop is as good as their reputation. I will see what I can do about switching their generic oil out for a name brand. Thanks everybody for the help
I would also ask what Dana Spicer gears would cost instead of Revolution.

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys 2 Door 6 speed
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
I would also ask what Dana Spicer gears would cost instead of Revolution.
This ^^^^.

I really would use OEM level gears. They are quiet when you change them, they break-in nicely and have a good pattern (as long as they were set up right) and have the best chance of long life, in my opinion.

They are not much more than other options.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
From my perspective you're focused on the wrong thing, total cost.

You should be looking at time. If their time to do the work is fair, you move to the hourly rate; or vice versa. If their (hourly) labor rate is fair, then you should be looking at their time.

The job is a seven hour job, give or take a couple hours. So, you're paying almost seven hours more for labor than you should, regardless of what their labor rate is. You're paying roughly twice what you should be paying, regardless of what the number is, because you're paying them twice as long to do the job as it should take them to complete.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

AlanD

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Nacho Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I had an Eaton E-locker I provided installed in the rear of my Sport. Wife left me standing in lobby too long so I had them install 4.88's while they where in the differentials. Total was just over $2500. I did 500 mile diff oil and diff covers my self. Fairely well respected builder in Chandler AZ.

avnmech

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
So here in Southwestern Indiana, Evansville to be exact, a regear on a JLU with the M186 up front and the M220 with LSD in the rear to 4.88's (Revolution Gears) and front and rear ARB lockers got quoted at $5600 out the door, $2800 for Lockers and Gears, and $1400 per axle. The place that quoted the price is in Chandler Indiana, CTC Commercial Truck Components, they are the best in the area, and the place that all of the local shops send axle work to. No one else will even give me a quote, they all say call CTC. Not sure if $1400 and axle is a good price or not. I know CTC does a lot of axle work, and of all the other places in town that did not out right refer me to CTC said they could do the labor for cheaper, but they honestly don't do enough axle work for me to trust them with my primary mover. I mean I use my Jeep as a daily driver, for getting to work, volunteer fire runs, and any long distance trips that we take as a family, the axles have to be done right the first time. However if any one knows of any place in the tri-state area besides CTC that does high volume axle work please respond to this tread. I'd rather not pay $2800 in labor. Thank you. Avnmech.
Sponsored