Sponsored

Regear for Ecodiesel - What Ratio

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Well I’m screwed 🤬

Due to the Dana 60 Carrier Break at 4.10/4.56 and me already having 4.88 gears this means I would have to change carriers (aka E-LOCKERS) because the of the carrier break.

The carrier (Locker) can only support either 4.56 and up or the other version 4.10 and down. Now I wanted 4.30’s but unfortunately for me that ratio for some stupid goddamn reason falls in the 4.10 and down carrier.

Meaning I’d have to buy new E-Lockers front and rear for 4.10 and down at the same time as the re-gear because the gears I want won’t fit on my 4.56 and up e-lockers.

Only thing I could do now without replacing both lockers (which are brand new, and have not even been used off-road yet other than to see if they actually engage or not) is go to a 4.56 Gear.

Problem is that’s not enough of a change to be worth it for me. I only gain back 4 MPH at highway speeds. So it’s probably not worth throwing a couple grand at such a small change. Especially one that I don’t even really want (I really want the 4.30’s)

So it looks like for now, unless I want to drop nearly $5k on a re-gear with new lockers - im screwed. FML
Bummer. Spicer makes 4.88 standard rotation gears for the 4.56 carrier and a thick version for the 4.10 carrier.

The BOM verified that you have the 4.56 carrier?
Sponsored

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Well I’m screwed 🤬

Due to the Dana 60 Carrier Break at 4.10/4.56 and me already having 4.88 gears this means I would have to change carriers (aka E-LOCKERS) because the of the carrier break.

The carrier (Locker) can only support either 4.56 and up or the other version 4.10 and down. Now I wanted 4.30’s but unfortunately for me that ratio for some stupid goddamn reason falls in the 4.10 and down carrier.

Meaning I’d have to buy new E-Lockers front and rear for 4.10 and down at the same time as the re-gear because the gears I want won’t fit on my 4.56 and up e-lockers.

Only thing I could do now without replacing both lockers (which are brand new, and have not even been used off-road yet other than to see if they actually engage or not) is go to a 4.56 Gear.

Problem is that’s not enough of a change to be worth it for me. I only gain back 4 MPH at highway speeds. So it’s probably not worth throwing a couple grand at such a small change. Especially one that I don’t even really want (I really want the 4.30’s)

So it looks like for now, unless I want to drop nearly $5k on a re-gear with new lockers - im screwed. FML
Or change to 42” tires.

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
Bummer. Spicer makes 4.88 standard rotation gears for the 4.56 carrier and a thick version for the 4.10 carrier.

The BOM verified that you have the 4.56 carrier?
I can’t get the code to make any sense, but there are no 4.88 that fit in the lower 4.10 carrier that I’ve seen.

You can get a thick 4.56 that goes into the lower carrier, but I haven’t seen a thick 4.88. Only 4.88 in the higher carrier.

There seems to be a bracket welded over the stamp on the rear axle.

This is the pic off the front axle, which I can’t get to make any sense. Maybe you can...

Jeep Wrangler JL Regear for Ecodiesel - What Ratio BD1FCF6F-387E-4680-8080-2EC134312902

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
I can’t get the code to make any sense, but there are no 4.88 that fit in the lower 4.10 carrier that I’ve seen.

You can get a thick 4.56 that goes into the lower carrier, but I haven’t seen a thick 4.88. Only 4.88 in the higher carrier.

There seems to be a bracket welded over the stamp on the rear axle.

This is the pic off the front axle, which I can’t get to make any sense. Maybe you can...

Jeep Wrangler JL Regear for Ecodiesel - What Ratio BD1FCF6F-387E-4680-8080-2EC134312902
Dana 4.88 for 4.10 carrier is 2019214 and for the 4.56 carrier is 25334X.
Taking the diff cover off might be the only way to truly know what you have.

Yukon 4.30 part # YG D60-430 might work with 4.56 carrier. Yukon thick gears have a T in the part, however I have seen this same part # listed to work with the 4.10 and 4.56 carrier. A call to Yukon is needed.

Nitro, US Gear, and Hoosier are thick cut for the 4.10 carrier

GSLSE21B

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jLURD
Thank you, I saw those and the Yukon’s but it wasn’t clear if they fit the UD60. Although I believe they will. The spline count is correct etc.

Now the only question is Nitro or Yukon gear?..

Anyone care to chime in here?
I have nitro-gear 10” in my front superduty diff
I’m leaning towards Nitro...

Sponsored

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
Dana 4.88 for 4.10 carrier is 2019214 and for the 4.56 carrier is 25334X.
Taking the diff cover off might be the only way to truly know what you have.

Yukon 4.30 part # YG D60-430 might work with 4.56 carrier. Yukon thick gears have a T in the part, however I have seen this same part # listed to work with the 4.10 and 4.56 carrier. A call to Yukon is needed.

Nitro, US Gear, and Hoosier are thick cut for the 4.10 carrier
I am thinking call Dana and ask them what the replacement part number for the e-locker and the ring and pinion are. This should clear up the mystery and provide clarity.

Eaton only makes 2 e-lockers (carriers) for the D60 a high and a low. That along with the two part numbers you provided, it should be easy to see which carrier I have.

That being said the part number from Dana you provided gives some hope. If I do have a magical set of Thick 4.88’s for the 4.10 carrier I would be astonished and incredibly happy; and I owe you a few cases of beer or whatever you prefer!

Thanks very much for all your help. I’ll call Dana tomorrow and report back with what they say.

xtremejoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
You asked in an earlier post.
I just did a couple thousand miles from San Francisco area to Grand Junction and back via Moab (excluding trail runs) I was around 17 mpg for the trip. I am a very heavy overland setup and I drive 75-85 with more time spent on the higher part of that range. I have never gotten anywhere close to 25pmg even when it was stock. To be honest, I care less about the MPG (just used a shit ton of gas this last trip), but more about the overall performance. I'm at 11,000 miles and haven't even hit 6 months yet.
So I wish 3.73 was 4.10 and I think would have been a good match for my style of driving. I think the 4.56 will be a tad high and the calculators do show that. However, I wouldn't bother with a regear to 4.10, so ultimately going to do 4.56 when I can find a shop that lines up with my timing.
3.73 was only a problem going up the mountain ranges (a few between me and Moab) so either a little pop on gas pedal for computer notification to shift or went to manual mode. Now on the trails it was more a problem and was in manual a lot more often. BTW that off-road mode button sucks ass. It does not improve it. Sport mode on a Porsche works so computer adjustments are effective, but you need a manufacturer to put their weight into it not FCA just fucking around for mall crawlers/marketing.

I would probably not change out your 4.88s given the expense and given how much you dropped on the machine. Just live with 2-3 mpg less and take the tradeoff on the power band when needed. I say this because on the TJ crawler I used to focus on gas prices like a madman and then one day after my friend ribbed me as usual for the 1000th time I just stopped and moved on with life.

Also, not to hijack topic, but since the diesel boys (and girls) are here, I finally got the skid plate system setup on this trip if anyone interested it's from Next Venture. Pricey, but lots of coverage and slick install.

Jeep Wrangler JL Regear for Ecodiesel - What Ratio 1620927316466

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
Does anyone make 4.30 gears for the Ecodiesel? Seems like that would be an ideal gear ratio for 37s. I see Nitro offers one for our D44 rear axle but not one for the D44 front axle...but they offer one for the D30 front axle on the Sports/Sahara models...WTF. I’m planning my build list and would ideally like a set of 4.30s so I’m not overgeared with 37s but might just have to settle for 4.56s

Ecodiesel 4.56 & 37 users...what RPMs are you running at 60, 70 and 80mph? Any MPG hit over the 3.73s?

Mr. Curti

First Name
Justin Curti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Dairy Farmer
Vehicle Showcase
If you’re still waiting on the Dynatrac axles I would try to change the ratios to 5.38 if you can at all. I ran a gear calculator for you and 5.38 with 42.5” tires would be nearly an identical match to 37” and 4.56 which seems to be the preferred combination everyone loves on these diesel motors.

By comparison the 5.13 with 42.5” only provides a tiny power bump over stock 3.73/32” tire combination. It’s almost an identical match only off by 2mph at 2000 rpm in 8th gear.

With how big/heavy those 42.5” meats are gonna be I am certain you will be much happier with going 1 R&P set lower geared than stock - or more - but 1 deeper than stock would be the 5.38
We finally got the axles in after an insane wait. And, yes we were able to get the gears changed to 5.38’s. Now our problem is the tires. According to the manufacture, they are on a ship somewhere between here and China. 😖. If they do not show up soon, then we might switch gears and go with a 44” tire. Long story short, I’ll be happy when this is all done.

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
We finally got the axles in after an insane wait. And, yes we were able to get the gears changed to 5.38’s. Now our problem is the tires. According to the manufacture, they are on a ship somewhere between here and China. 😖. If they do not show up soon, then we might switch gears and go with a 44” tire. Long story short, I’ll be happy when this is all done.
Go 44 and dont switch the gears!!!

In hindsight I wish I had gotten 4.30 with my 40’s

4.88 just kills the MPG with the 40’s on the EcoD - too high RPM at highway speeds

Sponsored

GSLSE21B

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jLURD
5.38 is going to have you in 5th-8th all the time . I have 4.88 with 39.8 actual height and they are a little high for my highway runs . One plus is that at cruise my oil pressure stays high and I can run a 7% grade fully loaded in 8th gear at 85-90 mph 😂

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
For a little comparison, my Ram 1500 ED has the 3.92 gears with 33" tall tires (this gives me 2k RPM at 72mph). The tires/gear ratio would translate to 4.75 gears and 40" tires. So, 4.88 would be a good choice with the heavy 40's and added wind drag from the lift......

Sacks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURED
I have 38" Patagonias with stock 3.73. I'm going to 4.56 because I dont like the diesel lugging at 1400 rpm going 70. This Diesel is happier running closer to 2000 rpms.

My math: 4.56÷3.73=1.22(gear change % difference)

Transmission ratio 7th=.84, 8th=.67
.84÷.67=1.25(transmission % difference from 7th-8th)

Running in 7th gear with 3.73 will get close to the rpm you will turn in 8th with the 4.56 gears due to the % of difference in gears compared to 7th and 8th transmission ratios.

I can run in 7th at 1950 rpm with 3.73s going 70 mph, which is where I'll be in 8th with 4.56s.

xtremejoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Switching gears a bit (pun intended), anyone recommend a good place to get regear done say within 6 hours drive of San Francisco?