Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Dairy Farmer
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I’m still waiting on tires for my build. So I still have no idea how 42’s are going to work with 5.38’s. Yet I have an off topic question, what are some opinions on bias ply tires? Maybe going 43’s or 44’s could be an option for my build.
Sponsored

Chainringtattoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon ecodiesel
Well, I’m still waiting on tires for my build. So I still have no idea how 42’s are going to work with 5.38’s. Yet I have an off topic question, what are some opinions on bias ply tires? Maybe going 43’s or 44’s could be an option for my build.
I can't help you with the tires but I can tell you according to the gear chart that has been posted to this thread, 4.88 brings 42s back to stock. 5.13 would be best for 44s. But one thing the gearing chart doesn't take into account is how much extra weight is added so if your rig is real heavy you might want to bump to the next lower gear.

GSLSE21B

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jLURD
42 Goodyear mtrk is just about as tall as the 43 tsl/sx

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel Unlimited Rubicon
If you plan on driving it for any distance on the highway very often I would for sure run a radial. Offroad only you can get by with bias. Just my opinion.

Mr. Curti

First Name
Justin Curti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Dairy Farmer
Vehicle Showcase
I can't help you with the tires but I can tell you according to the gear chart that has been posted to this thread, 4.88 brings 42s back to stock. 5.13 would be best for 44s. But one thing the gearing chart doesn't take into account is how much extra weight is added so if your rig is real heavy you might want to bump to the next lower gear.
5.13’s was our original plan. Then there was concern that it wasn’t going to be low enough. So we switched the gearing to 5.38’s before Dynatrac built the axles. Which, to my understanding, is going to be too low for 42’s. So that is why I asked the question/opinion on the Bias Ply.

Sponsored

Mr. Curti

First Name
Justin Curti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Dairy Farmer
Vehicle Showcase
42 Goodyear mtrk is just about as tall as the 43 tsl/sx
I wish Goodyear was an option. Unfortunately, they will not work because we are going to run 20” Trail Ready Beadlocks. They are black wheel with red world series rings.

Mr. Curti

First Name
Justin Curti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Dairy Farmer
Vehicle Showcase
If you plan on driving it for any distance on the highway very often I would for sure run a radial. Offroad only you can get by with bias. Just my opinion.
That’s what I have been thinking. Yet I have heard of people in my home town running Bias Ply and they were happy. So I figure I would revisit my curiosity on here. Thank you for your input.

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Originally we were going with 5:13’s. Then we changed it to 5:38’s. My axles, are sitting in the crates, so no going back for me..
So I have my axles. Started the build then FedEx lost my driveshafts… I went with 5.13. Going to run 40’s for the first set. Next 42’s.

I’m building at a friends shop. While waiting I’ve put over 600 miles on his JTRD running 42’s with 5.38 gearing. Drives close to a stock JTRD around town and up to Freeway speed. Freeway speeds (above 65) would be the only issue for some that do not want to cruise above 2K RPM. Cruise RPM is about the same as a stock 3/4 ton Duramax. I owned many between 2000 and 2010.
This JTRD has over 15k miles. No issues.

Edit. On the return trip from NorCal to AZ. Approximately 500miles. Average speed 70mph. Approximately 2250 RPM. 18 MPG. Speedo correct. GPS verified. JTRD 5.38 gearing. Nitto 42” tires.

Last edited:

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
I went to 4.56 with 37's on my JLURD. If I went any bigger on the tires, I would not re-gear again. Right now my RPM's are slightly higher on the highway than stock. In 4 low, I hit the high gears in the 20-25 mph range, and I can put it in first gear and let it crawl downhill at a snail's pace. There is torque to spare with my setup.
would you think grabbing a take off set of 4.10s would be worth it for 38s? I’ve been considering it for one reason just because 4.10 OEM gears are still easy to find and cheap To obtain.

Chainringtattoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon ecodiesel
would you think grabbing a take off set of 4.10s would be worth it for 38s? I’ve been considering it for one reason just because 4.10 OEM gears are still easy to find and cheap To obtain.
For 38s it's worth it. Maybe even 4.56. The sweet spot for 38s is somewhere in the middle unfortunately. I decided to go 4.56 for 40s.

Sponsored

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry for the confusion. I decided to go 40 instead of 38. My Jeep is still stock. But sitting here waiting on axles to arrive gives me plenty of time to second guess my decision.
I’m sure you can flip the 40s with ease given the current market and supply issues!
Sponsored